Full Moon or New Moon phase?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AzHeadHunter, Jul 30, 2009.

Does the moon phase play a roll in your fishing success

1. More success in full moon.

2. More success in new moon.

3. Doesn't matter.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AzHeadHunter

AzHeadHunter New Member

State:
    Arizona
    When it come to fishing flathead. When do you have better success. When it's a full moon out or when it's a new moon? Or does it even matter.

For myself I really never paid attention to moon phase I just go fishing. But lately I have been notice bigger catches (Size) in new moon phase.

Just trying to get your thoughts on this.......

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Most folks will agree with the new moon as being a better time.. But I am have good and bad nights on both...
    * More important I think for crappie fisherman whom rely on submersible lights..

3. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    My biggest fish came on the new.And I have had great numbers on some new moons as well.I get out and fish whenever I can,regardless.I would fish everyday if I could.I voted new moon as well.

4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I haven't kept any numbers on it but I think my better catches have been on new moon phase. I also like to keep track of the lunar cycle but it doesn't keep me from going when I can regardless. A full moon is kinda cool to see your pole easier but you can also use reflective tape too.

:cool2:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Never had any luck that amounted to much on a full moon here.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the results of the new moon. Size and numbers.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    new moon, typically is the best bite.

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I havn't compared the different phases but I can definately say that on the Colorado river the full moon has been very poor for me. I almost don't even go anymore during the full moon unless I have a pre planned trip.

9. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    never paid any attention to what the moon was like, but really interested in where this is going. good post.

10. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    New moon I always hear is the best. I do get out there every new moon, but i have smoked many o catfish in all phases. Personally I think knowledge of where they are at, is far more important than any moon phase.
    Cool things about big flatheads, is that you can keep going back to the same hot spots, cause as the bigger ones leave, another bigger one takes its place. Most people just go to where a spot "looks good" toss a bluegill and wait all night. My advice is to go find some hotspots, and keep going to them.
    Typically my expereince is if you catch a big flathead in real thick cover, and say you keep him, or he doesnt go back to that spot after you release him, Either he will go back to that spot, or later on another flathead will occupy that spot. They love to claim prime time real estate.
    Another key is to fish heavy cover, you will lose tackle, but they absolutely love thick cover. Another spot that i have great success with is, is where the river chokes down narrower. thats my two cents worth

11. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    good stuff rcaarizona

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    My biggest flatheads has been on the full moon time. Its a slower bite, but bigger fish I noticed. Even on my last trip to the river. Very few fish was caught, but we did get a 53 pounder. During the full moon too. Thats just been my experiece that the bigger flats are during that time and the numbers of flats during the other moon periods. But I just tend to get out when I can get out. If its during the full or no moon I will take it driving 4 hrs one way during my free time.

B

13. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have been with guys that catch them in all moon phases. My luck seems to be in a blue moon phase, but that wasn't on the poll. I will be back in the area in a couple of weeks so I am excited to try any moon phase!

14. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    got my pb on a full moon!! 50+ so i voted don't matter. don't pay much attention to moons!

15. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    great post man!!!

16. bass or bass?

bass or bass? New Member

State:
    North Phoenix Arizona
    I fish crappie and stripers as well as cats at night , so I use submersible lights in some locations and not in others. So I prefer new moon phase.
    ~N.A.F.C.~B.A.S.S.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

17. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My biggest flat was 4 days prior to full, 2nd largest was 3 days after full. I firmly believe there is some kind of affect. Right now I go fishing when I can, and won't pick and choose until retirement.

18. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
  19. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    New moon has been best for me. I believe they eat when they can though. No matter time of day or the moon phase. If the fish is hungry and you drop it in their face. They'll eat it. It's up to the fish. In the total darkness they tend to move around and hunt more. Thats why fishing picks up around the new moon.

20. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I swear by the new moon from 3 days before to three days after. I plan all my trips around the moon phase. I have tried times close to the full moon when I have the weekend off and it was a waste of time for me anyway. In fact friends of mine sometimes think I am mean when I get invited to fishing with them and I wont go cause of the phase of the moon. :smile2: