Full moon or dark of the moon for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Bill D Curtis, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I was just looking for some opinions on the age old question if people catch more flatheads during the dark of the moon or the full moon me pesonaly catch more on the dark side

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I had wondered this myself for a long time. I learned it two years ago when my dad, me, and one of our friends stayed out all night on a new(dark) moon, we caught so many flatheads that night we have gone every year since then on at least on new(dark) moon.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I got to go with the full moon..Thats when my best luck has been

4. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Nitty Gitty Dirt Band.

lol

5. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Best time for me is when there's a full moon it doesn't rise until about 10:30pm where I live. That hour before the moons peaks out is a killer time. Once the moons gets up we normally don't catch any flatties though.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was going to say something along the same line, Trey. I prefer dark nights the best, between dusk and midnight. When the moon is full, I catch them until the moon clears the treetops good, then it seems as though everything just shuts down.

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Go when the water is wet,if ya ain't got a line and bait in ya won't catch anything .
    Good Luck

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This is a good post.... There can only be two answers but its intresting to see everyones prefrence.... mine... "Dark side of the Moon" Floyd...

9. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Unless it is covered by a cloudy overcast sky, the full moon has been nothin' but bad luck for me. As soon as it comes up, the fish seem to turn off like a switch.

10. ridgedog

ridgedog New Member

State:
    arkansas
    the dark of the moon for me

11. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I was just wondering this tonight... as the moon was coming up it just stopped. Big bright one tonight, so I will hold off for a bit

12. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    guess that is why i couldn't get a bit last night huge bright moon:angry:

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    A Far As Catching Fish Goes,It's Definately The Dark Of The Moon For Me, The Sad Part Is, That It Is Much Easier To See Your Poles On A Full Moon & Boating Is A lot Safer

14. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Every full moon I normally have a good night. But then again I really dont think the moon has much effect on the fish biting or not. Fish will bite hard one night and then hit not a single line the next night. I would think the fish would bite more in the moonlight because of the fact it makes the bait more visible, so now they can see it and smell it.............

15. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes Yes I agree with this ^^^

Ofcourse I have caught my two biggest flathead of my life when the moon was pretty full but i don't keep track of any of that stuff!!

Josh

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have never had luck with any sort of bright moon, full or otherwise shining on the water. Moon or not it wont stop me from being on the river though. Flatheads have the advantage over baitfish when there is no moon. The darker the better. The other night it was so bright I wish I brought some sun glasses.:cool2:

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I think the moon phases affect the bite, but dont really know why. If any one has some hard facts let us know. I seem to do better during the dark phase, but that phase of the moon is much longer. I guess the best time to go fishing is any time ya can.:smile2:

18. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    defenatly dark side of the moon went out last night it was full caught a 24 pound flathead.this spot usually produces 2 or 3 a night i fished alot harder than i usually do last night.i think it is just the light from the moon because flatheads seem to be very light sensitive idk just my opinion.

19. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I guess I would like to see some hard data that shows a swing one way or the other. To me the full moon "shutdown" is almost like an urban myth that keeps getting passed on. I bet a lot of us remember the very slow nights of the full moon, but how many recall the very slow nights of no moon? I think people just remember the full moon more times than not.

JMO

20. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i never fish the deep waters or anywhere else other than 15 foot out from the bank. the moon has a pull on the water dont ask me the term of it but i have always landed fish even with a full moon but i fish the banks the fish folw the food . there are more waves during a full moon and that is where the bait fishes food is so that is where the flats food is. so that is my 2 cents. but good luck to all