Full Moon - Is it good for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Apache Flats, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Has anybody had good fishing during or close to a full moon on flatheads??
    I will be fishing for the first time this year during this phase. Normally I fish close to a new moon and have had lots of success during this time. :confused2:

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I caught my PB Flat in 98 2 days after the full moon. It was cloudy and during a monsoon storm. I'm not sure uf that counts because the only light was the lightning. LOL

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    we had a post on here once about full moon where i fish its great when moon is full . some say its the worst time .

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive caught a couple of nice flatheads during full moon phase , but seem to catch more smaller ones when there's not a full moon.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have read that if you are within 3 days of either, full or new, the fishin is good. Most state and world records were caught within 3 days of either moon. I have caught nice ones of both but I prefer a new moon, especially in the summer. I still go regardless. If we waited for all of the conditions to be right we wouldt get to fish very much.:smile2: I say go, cause you never know.:wink:

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have never done well during full moon . unless its storming . Others have done well tho . My 2 cents worth

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I caught my PB 28 lber (avatar fish) on a full moon. I wish there were more full moons that fall on weekends.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you are fishing clear or shallow water, you might want to think in terms of fishing in the shade (yes, the shade of the moonlight!)

That said, my buddy got a 50 a few years back out in the open in fairly shallow clear water during a real bright full moon night. He was using fairly light clear leaders and smallish hooks. That same night I was fishing heavy dacron leaders and couldn't but a flat. Go figure...

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    To me I really dont have an opion about full moon or not.. I have caught fish wheather it was a full moon or not... Just a superstion to me

10. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I've had my best luck with good ones during a full moon

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I like it dark with no moon, but have done well in the past on a full moon..
    * It is all about the right place at the right time..

12. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Andy,
    I can say ''I'll be at the right place'' and if I do any good it would be the first time ever close to a full moon. I will do everything in my power to change that. I wont get much sleep at all in two nights, it is after all my last trip of the year. :doubt:

13. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Come on 2 o' clock :dribble: Hopefully I will have something to post Monday.:haha:

14. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good luck guys!!!! I hope to see bigguns. I'm still trying to get out to Bartlett on Sat. but i'm so broke it's silly.
    I'm hurtin like a junky to get back out again. Full moon or not I WANT TO GO FISHING!!!!! :tounge_out:

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    DING! thats it... tree or the shade of a steep bank.
    I have done a little bit of experimenting with this.... where I fish, a bright moon can absolutely kill the flathead fishing. I have my bright-moon spots seperate from all other spots.
    I use different tackle because they do take bait differently- often hitting like a channel or sometimes like a turtle,, making it hard to judge WHEN to set the hook sometimes.
    Either way, I don't like a bright whole moon at all AND clouds blocking it don't seem to help either.

16. byron9393

byron9393 New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish every chance i get regardless of moon conditions, but i have noticed that my best nights or when there is no moon to a new moon. Cant seem to get a bite during the full moons. But i really love it when it is storming out. As long as there is no lightning. Dont care how far away the lighting is the fish seem to get lock-jaw.

17. catfish1969

catfish1969 New Member

State:
    ILL.
    As crazy as it sounds I have had great nights when the moon is full, I think its because it seems the bait fish that are in the river become very active with the full moon... I could be wrong!!!! but so far it's went hand and hand. full moon active bait fish Flatheads!!!!:wink:

18. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    We have no moon now. Anybody catching any good ones?

19. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I caught my PBwhen it was comming a storm it was lightening and thundering about the time i set the hook. that fish weighed 44pounds real good fight.

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If I may ask yas.....

If your answer is in favor for a full moon, explain why you think the full moon was better. If a new moon is better, than explain why you think it is better .

I think more detail would benefit all of us better than just yes ,no, full, and new.

My answer is it does not matter . I have caught Pb's on both nights,than again,Ive caught Pb's all in between.

I myself fish a lot. This means I don't target certain nights to fish...I'm fortunate to be in this situation . Some folk might not be able to get out as much therefore target certain moons . If you only target certain moons, because of limited fishing times, and get a Pb.....can you say it's because of the moon phase you picked to fish ?

So for example.. do you think full moon is better because this is when gills bed ? Do you think full moon is better because the flathead can see up top better to feed ?

I think the question has to do more with what the bait fish are doing on certain nights..... Not when the cats are hungry...avabilitly of food is what determines the bite.

If I had to give advice I would say , " match the hatch ". Learn what's going on around you, phases have more to do with the hatch ; )

Just my 2cents.....

-Jim-