Full Moon Flatheads Catfish?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by smoothkip25, Jan 25, 2010.

1. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just curious on opinions if you think the full moon effects the flathead bite? I have come to conclude that you dont catch as many but if you wait it out you are gonna hook a monster! Just like to hear stories or instances both pro and con on this subject also times, bait, presentation time of year and water depth etc. Thanks!

2. FlatheadManiacScott

FlatheadManiacScott New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always plan trips around the moon phases.
    Check the record books for all species of fish , they almost all fall in this system.

3 days before , day of and 3 days after full moon.
    day before , day of and day after half moon.
    3 days before , day of and 3 days after new moon.

In-Fisherman did a study of this many years ago and all the species record fish fell in these moon phases.

Now I'll go no matter what the moon phase is for sure , but if your after BIG fish , use the above to plan ahead.

Scott

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that pretty much summs up my experience with the moon phases! it seems like the BIG ones only feed once a week or every two weeks, or at least that is what my big fish records show.a couple years ago i made a post about a 33lb fish 3 friends caught out of a hole that we "marked" and had a nasty scar that was caught 3 times in a month and a half span. once on the full, once on the new, and then again on the following months full moon! we were hittin that spot pretty hard those months. all of my big fish have came within the above mentioned time frames. now the full moon is tricky for me. seems during the very high parts of the day (11am-5pm) and really late (2am-6am) are the only times i can get a flathead to hit.. like Smoothskip said, its a LOOOOOOOOONG wait but when you get one its a Hawg.

also, in response to your P.M. Smoothskip, all my big "Full Moon flats" at night have been prowling open flats or near bank and are always on live bait as well.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Believe it or not, I have never heard of this moon phase stuff. I am not sure I want to believe it or try out the method. I am sure I will give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Luckily that is more than half the days of the month :)

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    to be honest i havent really paid much attention until this past season. One full moon i got shut out and another i busted a 40. This season i want to pick my spots better and try to go by the moon phase

7. I started keeping a detailed fishing log in December. The bite has beeen horrible around the New Moon, the biggest fish were before and after the Full Moon, however I did catch average fish during the Full Moon. Crazy stuff. All fishing was done in the same 1 mile streatch of river at simular times of the day. Here is December....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
  8. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    to start off i think the best time to fish is anytime you can go.that being said,i do 90% of my flathead fishing at night,and i've found that the darker the night the better the bite,whether its cloudy or new moon,botare good.out of the moon phases new is defanantly my favorite.water depth is tricky,i've caught them from 2 to 30 foot of water.weather,easy,nasty weather,means bigger and more fish,rain,thunderstorms ect...not comfortable but good fishin'.to sum it up,NIGHT TIME,AND NO LIGHT.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with what dink said.

My 2 bigest flatheads have come during the daytime in the full moon phase...I cant catchm at night during the full moon.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I fish daytime full moon, night fish during the new moon phase. Moon phase does have an effect on fish I believe, just like the tides.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've never caught much during the full moon, I'll still go out , just wont travel far. I did notice that on a full moonlit night that when ever cloud cover shuts it off like a light switch, the bite is on, how long depends on the wind. :cloudy:

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My personal best Flathead was caught on the night of the full moon.....using a live bluegill fished on the bottom in about 4-6' of water in May. My favorite month for flatheads.

Many of my largest fish have come from the night of the full moon. I usually dont catch large numbers of fish, but when I do catch one under the full moon...its usually a monster. Great time to catch the hogs!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Oh and by the way....Kip, thats a beautiful flathead in your avatar....congrats bro!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    When it's the full moon, I like to make it a Blockbuster Night!:laugh1:

14. Dfcman

Dfcman Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I was researching this subject tonite from my iphone while fishing to see if I was wasting my time and I caught my 2 biggest flatheads during the full moon....out of the same hole! I was casting right on the edge of moonlight and shadow. 22lbs and 27 lbs. I dunno if the fact I was casting in prime spots or if it was because the spawn just ended and they were extremely hungry and didnt care. I caught them around 11:30pm and 12:45am

15. Mr_JEEZ

Mr_JEEZ New Member

State:
    port vue PA
    good job chris, are you saying that's your 2 biggest flats as in PBs? or just the biggest during the full moon? I had a very similar night during the full moon memorial day weekend. got a 7# and my buddy got a 7 or 8#. then I finished the night with a 27 and a 25lber. lost one huge fish too.

16. Dfcman

Dfcman Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yes those 2 are my pb's. I just started flatheading last year and the biggest one I got was 14.