Full moon flathead catfishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by whisker bend, Nov 2, 2006.

1. whisker bend

whisker bend New Member

State:
    georgia
    been fishing along time and never catch flatheads on a full. couple days before and acouple days after are good but not onthe the day of. does anybody do good?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The hearsay I've heard is that Bluegills spawn on the Full Moon . Should be a good time to fish the Mississippi Cats near their beds.

:cool2:

3. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One buddy of mine that we run lines with always says when it's a full moon we won't do very good that night. He says that it's to bright for the flatties.

4. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    on a full moon i dont have much luck on the days after (in the day time that is)

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    My first few years flathead fishing I went on the days closest to the full moon as I could get. Whether that was the full moon or a day or two before or after. I got that from the fishing mags. Yes I caught fish around the full moon. They were usually smaller ones. I've caught a slew of small ones. The last 3 years I go when I can with no regard to the moon. I've caught more fish over 30lbs on dark moon nights, and half or crescent than on the full moon nights. As I sit here and think on it. I've never caught a flat over 30 lbs on a full moon night. I have more luck on overcast, cloudy, low temp, cold, black nights. It seems the more miserable I am the better the fish bite. No moon involved.

6. kindofsudden

kindofsudden New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't know about the Bluegill spawning, but I have never caught Flathead during a full moon, and I have had some great conditions to do so. Not sure I'm ready to give it up yet, though.

7. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Everyone has their own ideas about fishin a full moon , some like it. others dislike it but I don't believe it makes any difference. I've seen it both good and bad with a full moon over the years. I believe there are many other things that affect the bite that are more important, like water temp. cold fronts, water conditions, etc. etc. Too many variables for me to put it all together into a hard and fast formula so I just go fishing whenever I can .