Full Moon Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by smoothkip25, Jan 25, 2010.

1. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just curious on opinions if you think the full moon effects the flathead bite? I have come to conclude that you dont catch as many but if you wait it out you are gonna hook a monster! Just like to hear stories or instances both pro and con on this subject also times, bait, presentation time of year and water depth etc. Thanks!

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If I can get out,I,ll get out.I don,t pay no nevermind to the moon.I,ve checked my logs against the solunar tables.Got good nights and bad nights about the same rate as usual.Some of my spots are already lit up,so I don,t see where the full moon makes any difference.Seems like they,re either hungry and out hunting or they aint.I think being in the right spot at the right time is a lot more important.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My fiance loves the full moon because she knows I will be home at night.:time-out:

I do not fish during the full moon. If I get really desperate for a bite and time on the river, I MAY fish early during the full moon and quit just when that full moon shows itself which is around 9:30PM during the summer. But I refuse to do any hardcore allnighters during a full moon.

Full Moon=Flathead Futility!:Happy:

4. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I guess that full moon or no moon is okay for me. because im addicted to cat fishing .an have had good nights both ways .but yes the 2 pb were on full moon nights fishing from sand bars from the bank:handshake::secret:

5. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    an bass was the baits.an 10 feet of water.

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    i fish no matter what phase the moon is in, I've caught fish during a full moon and I like fishing during a full moon mainly because it saves battery on my headlamp lol but I've caught just as many when there was no moon or quarter moon etc. like stated before I think it's more of being in the right place at the right time, knowing were the fish are more than likely to be feeding or resting.

7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I dont like full moon nights seems to lower my catch rate

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Likesaid, we have caught flatheads during pretty much every moon phase over the past years. However, there is a slight pattern that you can clearly see when looking over past dialogs. The first quarter to 3/4 has shown to be successful for us over past seasons. We have caught some goodones on full moons also. I will let you look at the diaglogs. Probably color out the location catagory though.. lol.. rollo

P.S. I don't like fishing full moons that much to be honest though. I have always felt more confident when its dark for some reason.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I used to be big on full moon Flatheads; not really sure why. I guess because Zacker once said, "full moons work power on big cats". Now, I just fish when I can regardless of moon phase. About 15 years ago I had on a "monster" Flathead up north on the Wabash River. It was during a full moon. It eventually broke the line, but it was big. It took a live bluegill in about 8 feet of water. If anything, these days I prefer a waning moon phase and would opt for a new moon over a full moon.

10. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    I never worry about moon phase because it's hard enough to find time to fish. If i'm able to get out- I go. As far as catches go I don't think it has mattered for me.

11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    You act like I fish the same stretch of river as you Rollo?:laugh1:

12. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Uncanny how this thread showed up as number two when I logged in. The whole reason I logged on just now was to pose the question, 'Is no moon better than any moon for flats?'

An Okie friend o' mine, said that he knows fellas that swear by the moonless night for flatheads. Know also, that these guys he refers to are snaggin' below the Kerr dam. 1) they ain't supposed to be that close (he tells me) and 2) they ain't being targeted with bait and in the structure like we all talk about.

These guys say that when the moon comes out the flats just disappear within a few minutes. I have never targeted flats, per se, but I have targeted catfish in general, like other folks.

If this is true, maybe it is due to the fish following some sort of instinct to return to deeper darker waters in order to make ambushes, of baitfish, more effective. In this case, wouldn't they need to add more weight to sink the hook faster, at the same casted distance, to catch them deeper? Or, do they rally just.....disappear?

13. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I fish when I get the chance. I followed the Solunar Calender the last half of last year and I always done better on new moon nights. I've never caught anything fishing on a full moon but I think it is being in the right place at the right time. I only bank fish so it is a little more defficult to find the good spots to fish.

14. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I believe weather patterns and water levels have more of an effect than a Full or dark moon. Still the flathead in my picture was caught the day after a full moon and early last July I caught 8 flathead between 6 and 10 pounds totaling over 55 pounds during a full moon but they were also getting ready to spawn as 5 of the 8 were chock full of eggs. All were caught on live sunfish, I gave up on the shad after about 45 minutes because they didn't even touch it but they were making runs on the sunfish and put up more fight per pound than any I've caught. I probably would have caught more but I ran out of sunfish but 8 nice smoker sized flatheads on 9 sunfish is a good night in my book

At least I know where to go this year when they get ready to spawn.

15. mmagreg

mmagreg New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    My buddies and i started debating this about the on and off nature of our favorite channel cat hole and so we started taking notes last year... after comparing our notes with each other at the end of the year, we found our on and off nights were decided by weather and river stage... i also supposed the sewage overflow just up from us was a factor, however i did not think to make note of its activity.

We did not find any thing that convinced us the moon phase was a factor. The hours that were hot varied based on time of sun set (we did not think to make note of moon rise/fall), but the particular night itself seemed only affected by weather (we accounted weather of the night before, as well as that day/night).

Oddly enough from spring to fall we saw no considerable change in the action aside from the occasional slower or busier nights... seemed their spawning patterns were not consistent with each others enough to slow things down at any given time. We caught egg heavy channels randomly through the year.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if i had enough time and the chance to choose i would pay attention, but i dont so i fish every chance i get and just go with it....

17. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would hope it would help. Something has to work. I cant catch those dang fish.

18. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I made a very comprehensive database in Open Office last summer. Of the 70 catfish in the database 24 were flatheads

New moon - 2
    Full moon - 9 (But also note that 8 were in one night just before they spawned)
    1/8 - 1/2 - 6
    1/2 - 1
    1/2 - 7/8 - 6

I really don't have enough data to draw any definite conclusion and the full moon data is admittedly skewed by other factors but it looks to be about the same for most phases of the moon except new moon

Now I did see a quite noticeable trend on moon trend

Waning moon - 16
    Waxing moon - 8

I'm going to post my database for others to download and use on my blog in the next couple of days (I have a bad motherboard to replace tonight) for anyone interested in trying it. It's for the free office suite Open Office and I'll also be posting some screen shots of it. It's very comprehensive with a lot of drop down list boxes to keep typing to a minimum.

http://netbook2chartplotter.blogspot.com/

Don't forget to feed my albino flatheads while you are there

19. Romo

Romo Active Member

State:
    PA
    I think I've caught one flathead total in the past 2 years fishing under a full moon but it was a 28 lber which is nice for the skuke. Unless I'm desperate for a bite I take full moons off. This year I am keeping a log again and moon phase is something I will be keeping an eye on

20. trickys10

trickys10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i dont care what the moon looks like, a night on the lake or river hanging with good friends is better than any night at the house sittin on the couch