Full Moon Flathead Catfish Fishin'

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Snagged2, May 11, 2009.

1. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well, went out 2 days before the full moon, and managed to catch one 7# Flathead,,
    had some zings and zips on the rigs, but, mostly turtles, I think
    Went out Sat night and I got skunked,, for Flatheads, The Channels were in rare form, and seemed to have a very nasty disposition,, Was all we got any interest from during the full moon..
    so, did we waste out time Flatheadin' during the full moon??

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't think there's ever any time wasted while fishing. I always thought that a full moon would be good because it causes people and animals to act crazy. I have caught good fish on a full moon, but I think the experts would disagree about it being a good time to fish. I'm no expert, but then again I don't always listen to the experts.....:eek:oooh:

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I wanted to get out last weekend but couldnt with Mom's day shopping and all...im going out this weekend though. Count on it.

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    You know my position. I spend alot of hours on the water compared to the average person. I was also fishing both friday and sat night even though I can say that last year, I fished enough full moon nights to say that they suck for flathead. I recently read an article that mentioned that the nocturnal nature of flathead makes them weary on bright nights. You know here in the desert the full moon is basically daytime.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Very Good point, That actually makes some sense,, regarding the Full Moon,,

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I usually never do good during the full moon when catfishing, even when it's cloudy out.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The flathead in my avatar was caught on the night of the full moon. You just have to get away from the water and be sure not to cast any shadows at all around the water....because this will spook them into the next county. But if you use caution and be very still and bank fish away from the edge.....you can catch some hogs. :cool2:

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Welcome to the wonderful world of flathead fishing during a full moon. In my experience and on my home river, fishing for flatheads during a full moon is more like having a picnic on the river. There's plenty of food and drinks, but no fish!

With that said, a full moon has an adverse affect on humans and animals. Werewolves come out and school children become "lunatics". Just think what happens to the flatheads? :cool2::embarassed:

To each their own!

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I fished the full moon each month last summer for Flatheads and by far had my worse nights of the year. I'm almost to the point of staying home when the moon is full! :crazy:

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    State record Flathead catch dates show it about even as to the brightness of the moon. I did a quick check and came up with 12 state records set when moon was bright(greater than 1/2 moon) and 10 caught when the moon was dark(less than 1/2 moon) and a couple caught on a 1/2 moon.
    A few of the state listing only give the year so this is not a complete listing.

Need to add that 6 of them were caught on the actual date of the full moon.

11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have noticed that it throws the bite off a little bite here, but I try to fish the edges of the shadows from over hanging trees and blowdowns. It seems to work pretty good, but it usually means I have to go bushwackin. That is when I really wish I had a boat.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Nice info,, and Posts,,,Thx
    I should add, I was on a small aluminum boat,,, not quiet,, and on different water, than I normally fish..
    and, historically, I've never worried about moon phase.. so, it's possible, other factors were contributing...

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I also haven't had much luck during a full moon except when fishing in the shadows on the dark side of the river.

14. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    The moon fases can throw off or turn on the bite, but fish can be caught on a full moon. I seen a few post here that notes to fish dark pockets and shadows. thats highly true. Try to find some dark areas wether is a well shaded cove, logs, or even under docks can produce. The bite will be slower, but remember if you can catch flatheads in the day time, then you can catch them under a full moon. A cloud cover can increase the bite greatly as well on a full moon... Dont sit at home on a full moon, you wont catch a thing for sure...

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Doesn,t seem to make no difference to me and I keep records.IMO-If a big flats hungry & baits around ,he aint gonna pay no nevermind to the moon.I,ve had several big flats hit 10 ft away from a fully lit lantern.I had 1 good flat follow my bluegill in and looked up at me in the lantern light and ate it right in front of me.:eek:oooh:

16. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have had mixed results... But I get a little more excited when my fishing trip just so happens to be on a new moon, and weary when on a full moon... But I have been skunked on both...

* You just got to go and put your bait in the water where they will find it.

17. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I hate the full moon when it comes to catching flatheads.

IMO, flatheads do not like bright moonlight, especially when the water is clear.

18. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Who the heck has clear water? Around here they would have to get out on bank to tell the moon was out.:smile2:

19. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well gang, my opinion is that the full moon time is not the best time to fish at night. At least the first part of the night. I went out this weekend on the lower colorado river and lost two big fish on gills... I was pulled into the reeds along the shore after keeping them out for a min or so, and seemed to do better on cut mackeral......However, on Saturday night... I used some slabed out gill as cut bait and caught two from 3-7lbs... I think that it is better early the next day for flats on a full moon night.

As it goes, me and "tofish" went in early sat. night, as it was a long fishing until 12 on fri night....

bayrunner Ray

20. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Unless something is going on out of the norm, the water is almost always clear here unclebuncle. The colorado river is pretty and clean... for now.
    The first pic is of catfish on a stringer in the water. The second one is of snagged2 with a flat and you can see the pretty blue water behind him.

Attached Files: