Full moon fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by j.klein, May 13, 2006.

1. j.klein

j.klein New Member

State:
    missouri
    i tell you what brothers, i never catch a darn thing on or around a full moon...now im a bible believing christian, im not putting any faith in the full moon new moon stuff for any spiritual reasons or anything hokey like that. but what i am saying is i catch more, and my biggest aswell, fish on or around a new moon...wierd but it happens, take today for example or yesterday i caught 1 fish each day and both were about 1 pound channels...rediculous on the same spot i can pul in channel cats on my best days here 6-20 lbs!!!! huge channels... but not around full moon...who knows about this whole solunar calender, ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS SAME EXPIERIENCE?

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    in answer to your ? go to a post called FULL MOON WILL FISH BITE there is a totol of 31 responses to that ? that I ask. you might get your answer there. GO CATCH A BIG FISH FULL MOON OR NOT.

3. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Justin during a full moon last month I caught a 38,33,25,15 and numerous other fish in the 5 to 10lb class. Now either they bite during a full moon or I'm some kind of fishing wizard(not me:cool2: ). See ya on the water!

4. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    means I don't step on as much stuf that I dont know what is or bump in to as much stuf at night

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I have found that fish will bite anytime its the way we fish fish them that makes a different. Doing the new and full moon fish seem to move less and and stay more around the rocks , dropoffs and bank lines. around 3 days after each one i will start catching more fish out on the flats and in open waters. I drift fish alot on the new and full moons taking the bite to the fish seems to work great on them days.

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Commercial longliners, particuarly swordboats, will cut a trip short so they can return to port, off load, reprovision and be back on the fishing grounds for the new moon. They swear by it and they are making a living out of hook & line fishing. Not sure how much of it translates to catfish but I know those guys schedule their trips around the new moon.

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    That is real interesting. I personally found that the local conditions dictate the bite. For example: fishing below a dam-when the current is off, the bite is off, flip the swith on the current flow and like magic you are in business. I found this to be independent of moon phase but I think your observation has a lot of merit on large bodies of water like large lakes in particular which may be more affected by tidal influences. You raise a good point and if the pros are doing it it must be right for them.

8. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    We do alot of catfishin here in Texas as we live right on the Lake. We have several different lakes that we fish as well. As yall know, there are many different factors that affect how well fish bite, such as water temp, current, choice of bait, etc. It is my belief that the more of these factors that are "right" for getting the fish to bite, the better luck you will have. From my personal experience, I believe whole heartedly that the moon phase has EVERYTHING to do with fishing! I quickly have learned that the best time to catfish is when the moon is full and bright! Many a night we have sat shore side with a few catches here and there, and soon as the moon comes up over our spot and reflects the light on the lake, the catfish start hitting bigtime. Full moon and a warm night will be our best time to catch our biggest and our most catfish! Every month I look forward to a new moon or a full moon, and we will wait til like 10 pm or so and then go get set up and we know it is going to be one heck of a night for fishing! I think that if you keep in mind that the more optimal factors you have on your side, the more optimal fishing experience you will have, and moon phase DEFINITELY is one big factor! Makes me wonder if catfish are bi-polar? LOL

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Another interesting point. I have heard some real good flathead hunters who swear by the dark moon not the full moon. They will even seek the dark side of the river to set out baits. Just depends on who you are talking with I imagine.

10. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    See... dark side vs full light...why I think catfish are bipolar!

Seriously, I still think that the more optimal factors you have, the better luck you will have. For example, if there is a full moon but the water is cold, I do not think someone would have as much luck as fishing the darker side of the lake or river when the water was warmer....but someone who fishes under a full moon when the water is warm would have the best luck of all. Just my opinion...

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I think you are right. No one factor dictates how fish will bite. Only the fish really know. Maybe fish need Prozac, do you think they would be more predictable then??:big_smile:

12. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I personally don't think it matters.
    New Moon
    First Quarter
    Second Quarter
    Third Quarter
    Full Moon
    Waxing
    Waning
    Moon Set
    The fish will eat when they get hungry
    People make up these things not the fish.
    Well gotta go fishing now cause the cows are up Movin around!!:angry:

13. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    My experiences have taught me to not put much weight on the moon phase for catfishing. I believe as some others have said that there are just too many factors that come into play when it comes to how good or poor the bite is going to be . I like fishing at night and I do like the benefit of being able to see whats going on around you during a full moon. But I don't expect it to make fishing any better or worse than on a new moon. If I feel like fishin and I am able to go, I go. I have read a couple times that more record size fish are caught during or around a full moon and I don't doubt that's true, but I still go when I want to, regardless of anything else, except bad storms, they scare me off.Good fishin.

14. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Food for thought… or follow the food… in-fisherman once interviewed an old cat man and he felt that a few days before and after a full moon were prime for him to fish flatheads. I’m a crappie and catfish man with an occasional walleye, but this last year caught a lot of redear while in pursuit of crappie. After a little study found out their first spawn of the year just like gills was when the water temp. reached 75 to 77 degrees closest TO THE FULL MOON PERIOD, specifically a few days before till a few days after. They then change to spawning during the new moon or dark of the moon as we call it for the rest of the summer. Does this pattern sound familiar with everyone??? The spawn concentrates the food source and I might add that is the time when flatheads are caught shallow. When dams are flowing there is more food available. The conditions or signs we all look for usually is what affects the bait which affects our pray. They always have to feed, we just have to try to figure out when and where during our time slots we have available. Fish are bi polar, :roll_eyes: they change fast with their food and enviorment.

15. megacat77

megacat77 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If all other conditions are right the full moon can be a great time to catch big cats. First look at water temp, water flow, and correct baits. If you look at the state record catfish for each state and the date it was caught you can then find what the moon phase was when each record was caught, I will save you all some work because I have done this, what you find is that 90% of all record size cats have been caught within 3 days of the full moon. I love fishing the full moon lots of catfisherman wont even hit the water on a full moon so it is a time I get the water to myself. In 2003 I caught 6 flatheads on a full moon night for a total weight of 240 pounds, yes this is an average of 40 pounds per fish. Also every fish I have caught over 70 pounds has been around the full moon. As for the new moon it can also be a good time to catch some large fish, but I will take the full moon anyday. Remember if everything else isn't right the moon don't matter but when the water conditions are correct hit the full moon and start catching huge cats.

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    totally agree if everything is right get ready the big ones will bite

17. Incoming08

Incoming08 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will agree i dont think i catch as many fish with a full moon but i sure do like fishing on a clear full moon night you can see anything even you rod tips when they bear down.

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OK all you fishermen and women HOW come you didnt fish during the eclipse?????For one night you could have had BOTH conditions.:smile2::big_smile:Would have been interesting to see if the fish werent biting while the moon was full,if they started up when the eclipse came,and then stopped again when it cleared.:smile2::big_smile:Be a while before we can conduct the experiment.:big_smile::crazy:

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have caught fish under every moon phase that exsists. I do notice however that the times changed that the bites occured. There are lots of factors to consider.:cool2:

20. midmocat

midmocat New Member

State:
    MO
    I won't go in great detail but i will tell you this. I fish totally different on a full moon than I do on a new moon. So it don't really effect the bite it effects where and when they bite.