full moon catfishing. Is it best on the night of a full moon

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishhead, Jan 13, 2006.

1. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    I have heard many say that catfishing is best on night of a full moon.Personally I have fished many nights of full moon with no luck.what is everyones experience? just curious thanks. oh day or night

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    So far I have noticed it to be the best on days right before or right after the full moon....but not actually on the full moon. Could just be luck though?

Zakk:)

3. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I find the three days prior and the three days after to be the most productive all other factors being equal. Fish will bite anytime but they do seem to be even more active around the full moon. One thind I don't like about it though is its much more difficult to isolate large fish from small ones. You still catch large fish but you also get more nusance bites.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Also while Shark fishing.....they seem to bite best actually on the full moon night.

Zakk:)

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    full moons can be funny, sometimes their great, others not even a nibble. the biggest of the big will be moving around or on the full moon and not much else. this goes for all species of fish, right salmonid? (yesterday). i've noticed that during the "off" times during a full moon you get those little "nibblers" driving you crazy.

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I personally have had better luck on or around a new moon myself, although I have to admit its a whole lot easier to see your rods with full moon.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I think I been skunked more on a full moon more then any other time! I heard that they hide from the light, but I expect it's more to it then that!

8. paddle

paddle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do not get to pick the nights I get to go fishing because of other commitments, but I have found that I have better luck on nights without a lot of moon light.--paddle:0a17:

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to hate full moons but i learned that fish feed differently then as opposed to a new moon period. now i love full moon periods. im not sure exactly what causes it but fish seem to feed shallower.

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have fished a full moon and didn't get a bite. But I can only remember fishing a few of them.

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I don't pay enough attention to it I guess. I just go when I can and it's either a good night or its a GOOD night.

12. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I dont even watch the moon phases, I just go, the only time that I wont go is when there is heavy lighting and possible tornados, Been fishing a few times when some tornado warning came across, I never been so scared in my life a few big trees fell, the other time I was at a private lake and we left the dock and the waves were getting huge and the wind was shaking the RV around.

chris

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
  14. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    im gonna side with what the wolfman said,if i go channel cattin' on a full moon,i come home empty-handed,however thats on just one lake.i'll try this superstition this summer on the river.

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Fishin a tidal river like I do. I find that the full moon pushes a lot more water into places that normally aren't that wet. I beleive the fish know this also. On the high tide of a full moon I'll fish some of these areas and do well. I fish for channels cause thats what the river has to offer.

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We fish a river and a lake and a full moon seems to be a harder night to fish. Bites are less aggressive, more timid and the fish seem to be smaller on both bodies of water. We prefer a dark night but like others when I get to go, I go and worry about the moon after I'm there, if at all. We seem to find the fish in shallower water and not as much current if possible. Have tried under trees and snags more with a full moon but really can't say that was any better than the usual places we fish.

17. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    Our best night on the mIssouri came on a full moon. We were jug fishing between Washington and New Haven. Picked up 15 blues that nightno monsters but mostly between 8-12lbs. The only reason we went was because we knew it would be easier to navigate.

MJO

18. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Many years ago, I knew some guys that set nets\, One experance netter said , where the moonlight hits the water you wont catch any fish.
    seems he was right,. shadows or under trees, hanging out over water the fish would run, not in the moonlight.

19. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I guess I would agree with that, primitivfrn we always look for the darkest water when fishing with a moon.

20. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i've tried fishing by the moon phases, and reading the farmers almanac, and it just never seems to work for me.

here is my advice on how to catch fish...go often...day or night, the more you go the more you improve your chances for being there when they bite:)