Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Fueling new boat.

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Brackish 
#1 ·
Bought a brand new G3 Sportsman 200 a couple of weeks ago really wanted to get through the motor break in period before the weather turned bad this fall so it would be ready to fish as soon as spring rolls around. Went to the gas station this morning to fuel it up and it will not take fuel, I did manage to get five gallons in her but things pressured up, when I removed the nozzle fuel shot back out the filler. I made several attempts but had the same results each time. I called the dealership and of course everyone was out to lunch except one guy who said he put 5 gal. in it when he prepped it with no problem didn't know what the issue could be. I left call back request but have not heard anything as of yet. I hate to sound like the dumbest man in the world not being to pump gas into his boat but I guess maybe I am because I can't . Any suggestions?

#3 ·
Just guessing here.....I had a boat once that I could never fill with gas slow enough that gas didn't shoot out the vent or back up the filler hose. Bought myself a jiggle siphon and a five gallon gas can. As long as I got the siphon tube far enough down the filler tube I never had a problem.

#5 ·
Yeah, I tried to take a look at what I could see between the filler hose and tank hoping for a kinked or looped vent line. There are things there I don't understand, hoses that go to a plastic gismo, Y fittings, and some sort of a device right at the filler. Starting to loose confidence in my dealer, called them at noon, everyone who could answer any tech. questions was out to lunch, I requested a call back when they returned, didn't happen. I really hope the feller who answered the phone when I called just negated to pass the request on to the service dept. the only other conclusion I can draw is they have my money and quit being concerned about my satisfaction. Four hour drive one way to take it back but guessing that is what it is going to come to.

#6 ·
I hate to hear you are having issues with the new boat. If it makes you feel any better my boat is still sitting at the trailer shop that I was forced to leave it at last Thursday morning when a wheel bearing went out and destroyed the spindle and hub. They haven’t even pulled it in the shop or checked it out. That’s two hours from home and about the same from the boat shop it has to go to next.

Hope you get yours squared away without much issues.

#7 ·
I have to run the gas pump as slowly as possible when refueling my boat otherwise the pump will continually kick off. Can’t set on auto fill have to control manually. All my cars occasionally have similar issues. I think the gas nowadays foams up so much that the pump thinks ur tank is full when the foam hits nozzle.

#9 ·
I can imagine your frustration but I would not drive eight hours to fix it.
I would however spend a whole lot of time in the internet Google YouTube etc and even reaching out to any local boat places. If you have to pay somebody local I think that's better than driving.

Reactions: JByrd
#10 ·
Just doing a quick search and 2 thing got brought up.

- venting issues either vent being to small or there being a sag in vent hose causing like the "p" trap effect.

- the other suggestion was turn the fuel nozzle 180° (upside down). This allows more fuel In or something

Another suggestion was fuel very slow and try funnel/can...

But like I said these were from a 5min search so I'm sure you will be able to figure it out with some searching instead of 8hr round trip. Pretty petty though no ones called you back.

#13 ·
Just make a YouTube video showing the problem (be nice about it) and I would imagine a few responses ha ha

#14 ·
Got a call back from my dealer today after I called them a early this morning and left another call back request. The Mgr. took responsibility for not returning my call yesterday, said he got the message but each time he headed to his office to call he got side tracked eventually forgetting to call. Now I am not quite buying into this but he said his service dept. advised to fill the tank with a small syphon hose and after the first time it would have all the air purged out of the tank and it should fill normally thereafter, so this afternoon I spent an hour syphoning gas out of two five gal. cans through a 3/8 OD hose into my boat. That brought it to 3/4 of a tank according to the gauge, I will add more tomorrow but I still think it has to be a venting malfunction. The Mgr. also advised he was waiting on a return call from G3 to see if they had any insight he was unaware of.

#15 ·
Jay, I agree that it is a venting problem. That could be caused by several things.

Calling the G3 manufacturer is the best thing to do but if I were you, I would want to talk to them myself. If there is an issue with the fuel tank on the boat the manufacturer would know more about it than a dealer.

I agree in trying everything and filling the tank with a small hose may get the air out of the tank but what does the dealer think will go back into the tank as the gas is used up. Air, the same thing that was there in the first place.

I would be asking the manufacturer to provide information to include drawings of the fuel system so you know what all the components are and how the filler and vent lines run.

Most likely it is a simple fix.

Good luck Jay

If you want me to drive into Indy and slap that dealer around a little,
let me know. :o_O:

#16 ·
[QUOTE="twaskom,
let me know. :o_O:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tom but I will save using the "Catfish Mafia" as a last resort.

It only gets worse, after using a 3/8 inch hose pinched down with vise grips to syphon 15 gal of gas (2hrs. of my life I will never get back) and adding Marine Stabil into the tank I put the muffs on and started it up to circulated the treated gas through the entire fuel system, nothing out the pee hole and overheat alarm. The salesman I dealt with is off on Thursday but a person in service dept. questioned my use of muffs, "maybe you didn't have the muffs tight" I told him not to insult my intelligence I have owned a boat since 79 and know how to use muffs. I did speak with a factory rep. he advised the fueling problem wouldn't be fixed by filling it very slow, what used to be a very simple system is now quite complicated with charcoal filters etc. and many things could be causing the issue, would need to be a dealer fix. As far as the lack of water out the pee hole he suspected a clog, spider web or dirt dauber maybe, but if it is like my other Yamaha a clogged pee hole will not cause overheat as it is simply a bypass that indicates water to the block. To be honest this is the third largest investment the wife and I have made in our married life only behind our house and her new truck and right now I am felling lower than a old Blue Cat lying on the bottom in the deepest hole in the Ohio.

#17 ·
[QUOTE="twaskom,
let me know. :o_O:
Thanks Tom but I will save using the "Catfish Mafia" as a last resort.

It only gets worse, after using a 3/8 inch hose pinched down with vise grips to syphon 15 gal of gas (2hrs. of my life I will never get back) and adding Marine Stabil into the tank I put the muffs on and started it up to circulated the treated gas through the entire fuel system, nothing out the pee hole and overheat alarm. The salesman I dealt with is off on Thursday but a person in service dept. questioned my use of muffs, "maybe you didn't have the muffs tight" I told him not to insult my intelligence I have owned a boat since 79 and know how to use muffs. I did speak with a factory rep. he advised the fueling problem wouldn't be fixed by filling it very slow, what used to be a very simple system is now quite complicated with charcoal filters etc. and many things could be causing the issue, would need to be a dealer fix. As far as the lack of water out the pee hole he suspected a clog, spider web or dirt dauber maybe, but if it is like my other Yamaha a clogged pee hole will not cause overheat as it is simply a bypass that indicates water to the block. To be honest this is the third largest investment the wife and I have made in our married life only behind our house and her new truck and right now I am felling lower than a old Blue Cat lying on the bottom in the deepest hole in the Ohio.[/QUOTE]Does your Yami not have a wateer hose hookup?

#20 ·
The fact that the boat will not take gas because of a venting problem and the fact that the cooling water indicator (motor peeing) is not putting out water sure shows what a great prep job the dealer did before you picked up the boat. If I remember right the dealer said they could prep the boat very quickly. I can see why now. They didn't do anything.

You may be just as close and also may be better of to see if you can take it back to the manufacturer in Lebanon, MO.

#23 ·
Wesley, right on the inside of the boat by the filler hose is an IMO overly complicated series of vents and I get that we as fishermen don't want raw gas venting into the water but apparently these vents are very prone to failure. I am guessing one of the vents operates on the ball vent theory so on occasion a rap or two with a hard object, pliers, wrench, etc. will "unstick" the valve and allow for the boat to fill. It is not easy to get to and requires getting inside the boat lying on your back with your head under the dash. Most times the rap method does not work and if it does it is likely to stick again soon. I would also speculate one company manufactures these vents for several different boat builders as I have encountered two different folks who were having the same issue both having different brands of boats, one of them just keeps replacing the valve assembly the other did the easy, down and dirty thing and drilled the inner workings out of it and put it back in. I will keep replacing (if needed) as long as it is a warranty repair, after that I am going to have to do some soul searching.

#24 ·
good deal thanks for the info and sounds like you are lovin the boat.
I know some gas pumps will drive me bananas just refueling my truck or Bronco and shutting off every two seconds
:eek1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.