Fuel Water Separator

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by gofish, Mar 22, 2007.

1. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    A couple of questions about this system:

1. I've decided to put a fuel water separator on my boat. Which side of the separator should the bulb be on (engine side or tank side)? Or does it matter?

2. Is there a difference between the small and large filters other than capacity? I'm looking at Sierra kit number 18-7852-1. ~$25

3. Once the kit is installed, do I still need the inline fuel filter or will the separator also filter out trash?

Thank you in advance for advice and suggestions.

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    we just put one on a boat this morning. the bulb is on the motor side. we left the in line filter there for now. i hope this helps.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    If i know I am going to have my boat sit for a while I put some Sta-Bill fuel stabilizer in. It keeps the gas good and keeps water from collecting in the bottom of the tank. It works pretty well for me. But i make have to think about installing one though.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Joe, it's also a trash filter. Put the bulb on the motor side. You can use the smaller filter with no problem.

5. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Thank you Bob for the info! I have a friend that installed one on his boat last year and he put the bulb on the motor side. I thought that was odd. I figured it would be better to pump fuel into the filter rather than try to pull it through. I guess I was wrong. I'm going to order it today and install it next week. I'll post some pictures and do a write-up.

Thanks to all that responded. Good fishin!

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Well, I have the filter but I haven't installed it yet. I have one more question. I've read on several sites that you should not use Teflon tape on the threads on this filter. Why is that?

I'm going to get some paste thread sealant but I'm interested to know why no tape?

Pictures to follow...

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Joe, I have no idea why not to use teflon tape.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I've used teflon tape on Harley Davidson fuel lines and fitting with no ill effect, an ya want to talk about vibration......
    :smile2:

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The myth about the tape is that some people will stretch that tape over the edge of the fitting and it will come loose and enter the fuel system. Wind the tape backwards of the threads and take your thumb and rub the edges back towards the threads and that will roll the edge of the tape away from the fuel line. I have used it several times without problems. If you use the paste make sure it doesn't enter the fuel system either.

10. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I finally got the separator installed today. I have not primed it yet because I wanted the pipe thread paste to set before introducing gas.

The unit is not level and I hope that is not going to be a problem. If it is, I'll use some shims to level it out.

I used RectorSeal paste that specifically listed gasoline lines on the label. See picture #1 for paste and one of the plugs.

Picture #2 shows the filter and a piece of aluminum that I used as reinforcement on the back side of where I mounted it. Sort of like a large washer.

Picture #3 shows the boat before mounting with on hole drilled.

Continued next post...

Attached Files:

11. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    The pictures below show one of the fuel barbs, the unit mounted but not connected, and then the finished project. I'll probably take it for a spin tomorrow and make sure nothing leaks and that all is in proper working condition. Any comments or suggestions are welcome...

Attached Files:

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    looks like a nice clean installation, good job, hopefully nothing will leak but I doubt it will.

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Joe, the installation looks good. Is there enough room under the canister to spin it off? Just looks a bit close to the side angled under it.

If you fill the canister with gas first, it'll make it easier to prime the carbs.

14. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Yep, there's enough room for the canister to spin off. I checked that before tightening everything down.

Thank you for the tip on filling the canister. I had not thought of doing that.

One thing that I noticed during the installation was that the fuel line did not have fuel in it when I cut it. Is that an indication of an air leak or is that normal when not in use?

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Normal, when not in use. You worry too much:lol:

16. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    You're right! :0a14: