fuel tank

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catfishbill33, Jul 19, 2008.

1. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Here is my problem:
    I have had my boat stored for two years +and have not really had it outbut maybe two times.The advise I have had is to remove the gas from the tank........But its a built-in-tank and I cant get the tank out of the boat.
    I tried to sipher the gas with the attached fuel line and it doesnt work[kinda a novice].Anyone have any advice pm me or just post it here
    many thanks

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, If i was in that position I would make a transfer pump out of an old fuel pump and some hose. But, it may be easier for me to come up with spare parts than you. you could just use an old garden hose and siphon it out. but I'd rather pump it out so it'll take any debris with it.

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Isn't there something like a hand pump I could get from a auto parts store?

4. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    If there is a Harbor Freight tools nearby they sell a hand pump for transfering kerosene, gas etc. I use one to fill my kerosene heaters. After you get out all you can fill the tank and add one can of SEAFOAM gas treatment per 12gal of gas. That will clean it all up but make sure you have an inline filter and change it after you run the tank through... There will be brown stuff stuck to the sides of the tank and the Seafoam will cut it all loose so the filter can catch it....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3878

5. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Brent You have been most helpful.
    many thanks
    Q: the tank is a fiberglass tank,would it have a build up like you said also.?

6. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    brent,
    I went to the harbor freight and would you believe there was one like you told me about.
    I hooked it to my fuel line and began to sipher and what do know it worked.
    many thanks....oh yes it was the last siphering hose like that and it was on sale for $3.98.
    thanks again:wink:

7. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Good deal! Be sure and clean the tank, that brown stuff ( varnish) sticks to any kind of tank, even stainless steel!