Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by benelli101, Jun 21, 2007.

1. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I am looking to move my fuel tank and battery to my live well. Got the battery moved successfully but need a little help on locateing a fuel cell that will fit. I have a 15' 42" jon boat with live well in the center seat. The opening is 9 1/2 in. X 23. If i could get a tank through the opening i should have plenty of room as the total space inside is 14 in. X 26".

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Not a good combination to have a battery (spark potential) that close to a fuel tank (fumes) in an enclosed compartment. Especially one that enclosed.

Portable tanks vent to wherever they are sitting.
    Properly installed permanent tanks will be vented overboard and have a filler neck like on your vehicle properly ground back to the tank.

Its not a fire hazard, its an explosion hazard.

3. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    It is a two sided live well. I have the battery in one side and was going to put the fuel tank in the other. I was hopeing to find a in board type fuel tank that would have a vent to be ran away from the compartment.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    That livewell cant be that big and I gaurantee you that it wont isolate gasoline fumes from the battery portion.If you choose to ignore Marks very good advice I would take the boat to or ask the local Coast Guard auxillary,to come to my home and inspect it.While they are there ask them about what you propose to do.The inspection is free and you get a decal for your boat good for a year that will generally divert any additional checks by law enforcement agencies.I agree fully with Mark ! Bad business putting gasoline and a source of sparks close together. I 'm sure it would provide more room in the boat but it also might broaden your horizons far beyond what you anticipated.:eek:oooh:and give you an elevated view of the situation:tounge_out:

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Check out some dealers for Race Car parts. Most can supply you with a custom fit fuel cell with remote fuel fill and vent. Also most marine suppliers have exaust blowers to remove fuel fumes.

6. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That sounds dangerious ... I would get advice from a professional on that one