The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Matt,
I’m glad to see you finally got the boat up and going! Your gonna enjoy it no matter if there are blues there or not haha
Like you said there are some really nice channels in there and always the hope of a big flatty so it’s always fun. I’d donate some $$ to helping the DNR put blues in there if they need it though haha
Drifting ledges there - if you remember where we got on those shad balls that evening, that whole channel ledge and flat holds several channels in the fall and not many pleasure boats go back that far at idle speed. You might give that area a try...
If you can’t follow the ledge (it turns a lot) don’t worry they will be scattered on the flat too. Just let it drift across.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dan! What up! Yeah, that area is off limits to boaters starting October 1st. I tried to go back there but will have to maybe hike back there and bank fish. That zone opens up in April. No prob. I’ll fish the western lake more now.
There’s a real good spot I want to try but it’s in the eastern side shallows. Need to get the dang trolling motor on so I can drift and lift my big motor up. I don’t have electric tilt/trim. I love my classic boat, though! I think I can still laugh at Crooked Creek and hit the spot I am thinking.
How are things? Keeping safe yet busy?

Matt

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Working too much haha
I thought that 1st big flat was still mostly reachable and the cut off was further back?
Where they cut it off at with the current water level the flat would likely be very shallow anyways. Like 2’ in areas- made that mistake before. Raise the motor and pray you make it to the channel lol
I haven’t tried where they added the new fish structures last year yet but I have been wanting too. That’s an easy area to reach.
Im threatening to head over there this weekend but don’t know if I’ll make it or not.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Going back to Tom’s rant - These cans are peeve of mine too! I’m positive I spill more fuel with the new silly gas can nozzles than with the old ones that would actually pour. Main reason is because after about 2 seconds of it not pouring I take the nozzle off and get the funnel! Haha
I like to think I’m a fairly patient person but not when I’m holding 5 gallons of gas about chest high and it’s not pouring!
Most of my cans now have a 1/4” vent hole in the can which helps the process...

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I don't care for them either, but I'll accept it as is. The more flexible I am the happier. I'm ordering a new gas-cap today to have a spare on the boat.

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
I am very proud of my rant. haha. Like with pictures. If you don't take a picture,,,,,it didn't happen.

If you don't voice your view,,,,,,, nothing will ever change.

Now what is this "off Limits" you are mentioning???? If it doesn't give away any special spots or secrets.

Not where are they but in general what is the purpose for them being off limits?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
There are two “waterfowl resting areas.” One in Northfork (north pine grove area) and one in middlefork (between Cutright and Crooked creek) areas.
They shut them down completely oct 1 - April 15.
I guess it’s so the waterfowl have a place to rest? It cuts out some good fishing for sure!

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
You should. The Southern ramp is excellent. There is a bait shop at the top of the hill if needed and there are a large number of shad in that body of water. Cut bait does well usually. A trilling motor is recommended but you can just let the wind drift you. I suspend some but love to drag baits on the bottom. Very few places to get snagged because it is an older reservoir.

It should be easy for you to get to. If you ever decide to go and would like any specifics, give me a yell and I will provide spots and methods.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You should. The Southern ramp is excellent. There is a bait shop at the top of the hill if needed and there are a large number of shad in that body of water. Cut bait does well usually. A trilling motor is recommended but you can just let the wind drift you. I suspend some but love to drag baits on the bottom. Very few places to get snagged because it is an older reservoir.

It should be easy for you to get to. If you ever decide to go and would like any specifics, give me a yell and I will provide spots and methods.
Thanks Tom. Will do. I looked at Maps for those lakes and nothing for Humminbird Chartselect. I'd have to drop $150 for Navionics, so I could get by with my phone. I use 2D mostly anyway, so may not really be an issue to keep me from fishing it.

Matt

21 - 33 of 33 Posts