The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

So I spent all day in the boat yesterday. Had some full-throttle runs to the other side of the lake, and ran one tank out of gas for the winter. I noticed my 6 gallon Attwood tank basically had collapsed due to negative pressure from the fuel pump. Does anyone have a recommendation for a non-steel tank that I could use that will hold up to the pressure?

Matt

Administrator
Matt, doesn't your fuel tank have a vent knob on the gas cap? A picture of what you have might help.

Reactions: SteveMcK

Registered
Winston, Indiana
.............. Does anyone have a recommendation for a non-steel tank that I could use that will hold up to the pressure?
Matt
Matt,
It鈥檚 not pressure, it鈥檚 vacuum (ok, negative pressure if you want to be picky!) and it means your fuel tank isn鈥檛 venting. Even a steel tank will collapse like that if the fuel pump has enough suck.
Look for the thing Tom described. If your tank really doesn鈥檛 have one, they are easy to fit.

...W

Administrator
And in the moment, you can slightly loosen the gas cap momentarily to relieve the vacuum. NOW don't take any chances on spilling gas in the boat. Boats and gas vapors are a very poor combination.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Matt,
It鈥檚 not pressure, it鈥檚 vacuum (ok, negative pressure if you want to be picky!) and it means your fuel tank isn鈥檛 venting. Even a steel tank will collapse like that if the fuel pump has enough suck.
Look for the thing Tom described. If your tank really doesn鈥檛 have one, they are easy to fit.

...W
W-

Mine is an EPA/CARB compliant model, and there is no manual valve in the gas-cap. The specs say the cap valve is automatic. I suspect that has failed. I'll put the cap from my other tank on it to see if it does the same. I also have fitted a fuel-demand valve on the fuel line because the tank blows up like a balloon on hot days. This keeps the carbs from flooding. Attwood says the ballooning effect is normal and the tank handles 20psi before bursting. The downsides to a sealed fuel system I guess.

I went out to take a pic and it looks like the tank is normal again. Maybe the valve just can't keep up from the fuel pump vacuum.

Matt

Administrator
The new tanks and even fuel cans have the newer EPA ventless system. I am in total agreement with protecting the environment but some things like the new style fuel cans just plain suck. I can not see the harm in a fuel can with an air tight cap covering a vent hole. Sealed when you want it and vents when you need it.

I am beginning to theink the description of the word automatic in the dictionary needs to be changed to WORKS SOMETIMES.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
The new tanks and even fuel cans have the newer EPA ventless system. I am in total agreement with protecting the environment but some things like the new style fuel cans just plain suck. I can not see the harm in a fuel can with an air tight cap covering a vent hole. Sealed when you want it and vents when you need it.

I am beginning to theink the description of the word automatic in the dictionary needs to be changed to WORKS SOMETIMES.
Yeah. The steel cans I had were okay but rusty so I replaced them. They also were leaky and I was tired of smelling gas in the boat and it getting on the carpeting. Might be time to take that out and put in some plastic flooring anyway. Got Catfish slime in the boat too to deal with!

The tank was comically buckled from the vacuum. I wish you could have seen it but I was too busy to take a pic last night. My kids were excited to see the Catfish they requested.

Matt

Administrator
Glad you were able to land a catfish out of Monroe. Maybe some day they will stock another one in there. lol

Sure would be a Great Lake for blue cats.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you were able to land a catfish out of Monroe. Maybe some day they will stock another one in there. lol

Sure would be a Great Lake for blue cats.
Tom-

Well, the channels I caught were quality. I know the lake holds good fish. I'm sure when I start drifting the lake I'll learn more about their patterns. I primarily focused on points next to steep drop-offs but the wind really messed me up. I was going to try to anchor and fish a spot, then move along the drop-offs until I find fish. Easier on a calm day. I got out of the wind and tried the shallow bays with trees and that's were I found the Channels. My MH setups were overkill but I love using them. If I could find some Medium casting rods I would be happier using those for Channel Cats. I might spool up my old Bass gear for Channels......

Lots of Carp all over the lake were jumping all day long on the flats. Also, the pleasure-crafters have finally wussed out and the lake is only sailboats and fisherman. Summer-daytime is a joke for most of the lake if you want to fish. Plenty of room now thanks goodness. The Fall Colors are in full swing and the lake is beautiful right now.

In all fairness, Lake Monroe seems hard but it is 10K acres. I'd say challenging. Locations are going to be key, but the hungry fish will bite. I feel like my day was a total success. NO SKUNK!

Matt

Registered
Stacee from Indiana
Matt try using one ultra light spinning reel and rod out on those fun size channels or smallies.
When the pole doubles over and the drag keeps peeling off is fishing at it's finest.

Administrator
For channels I like a medium or as Stacee mentions. less, just to add extra fun into it. I have 4, 8 or 9 foot Ugly sticks that are great for that purpose and also a Whisker Whip and two Medium Rippin Lips rods I enjoy using.

And yes Monroe is a beautiful lake. Especially in the fall when the leave are turning and the Ski boats are few. But I often think about how much better it could be. I see other lakes that hold huge blues. Lakes where it is possible for a State record to be caught. And they still have a good population of channels, bass, crappie, gills and other species. It just seems to me that Monroe and other Indiana state lakes are being protected from those big bad other catfish. Since it is the water supply for Bloomington, maybe they are afraid the fish will pee in the water.

Just could be so much better. Doesn't have to be Monroe although it is perfect, I look at the other lakes in Indians that have blues and a good population of flatheads and I generally come up with a small number like maybe (1). Brookville has blues from what I have heard but that is the only lake I know of.

Administrator
Yah, it is kinda sad. Monroe would make a great blue cat lake. It is over 10,000 acres, has a good winding channel that is often over 35 feet deep. There are large coves with standing timber and a lot of just plain open water.

You look at some io the Reservoirs in Kansas or Arizona and you will see numerous pictures if great fish that have been caught. You look for picture of fish caught at Monroe and if you can find even 4 you searched for a long time and those are more often than not years old. You just won't find much considering the size and structure for the lake. And it ain't because Hoosiers are so good at keeping secrets.

One would think Indiana DNR would make a few of the larger reservoirs good catfish lakes. But not so far. If Hoosiers can keep pressure on them showing what the financial benefit are to a good catfish lake in terms of Hotel, restaurant, bait shop, State Park revenue, things might change.

Just another allotment of 0.02 cents.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Too many Bass anglers would cause such a rukus that the Blue catfish will kill off all sportfish. The DNR likes sportfish better than Rough fish. Let's not forget the quality Flatheads in Monroe..... For me, I'm undecided on my feelings about Blues in Monroe and Patoka. You could always ask why not? I am sure they have a reason. I'm not a biologist, but they might have some sort of answer. Maybe get the ACA on their case about it.

Tom's right. It's about the money. But like we learned about COVID, people aren't will to spend the big bucks unless the emergency has already happened. If the DNR needed to fill the lake up with fish and their only choice was Blues, then that's what they would pick. Other than that, I think it would be a last choice over Channel Cats which are super popular.

My 2 cents! :)

Administrator
People throw around the titles SPORTFISH and ROUGH FISH. What does it mean. Since there are a lot of Catfisherman now and the community is growing what is to say a Blue Cat is not a sport fish. We have tournaments just like the bass boys. If some of these bass fisherman caught a 50 pound catfish, they would use Bass for bait. Personally I think it is the stigma in DNR's head.

Now I will totally agree that in the few catfish lakes I would like to see established in Indiana, Monroe doesn't have to be one. But within a one hour drive from anywhere in the state any hoosier should be able to launch on a Catfish lake.

Just like when we got together to change the Indiana Catfish regulations, we could get together and make our desires known. I pay the same fees and taxes as the bass and crappy fisherman do. Why shouldn't I expect to get a few things the way I would like them also.

You mentioned Monroe for Flatheads. Again I would say there are very few decent flatheads in Monroe. I keep hearing several on here mention it. (maybe one a year) but when you start digging to see what has been caught, you will figure out that they are few and far between. And I would say a good part of those were caught Up the creek you might say.

No, in my opinion Monroe is a hole in the ground and a waste of water. Built for the boat industry so folks can drag other folks around like trolling for sharks. You can barley fish it during the summer because of the wake makers and to make sure fishermen don't get in their way, they stock it with 3 or 4 bait fish a year.

OK, the rant is over. I got it out of my system and have burnt the box.

Administrator
Matt, have you found a gas cap that will fit and int your tank when you are using it?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
Matt, have you found a gas cap that will fit and int your tank when you are using it?
Tom-

Attwood makes a replacement. I was going to switch the cap from my 鈥済ood鈥 tank to the one that buckled and see if it happens again. If it does then I鈥檒l replace the cap.

Matt

Administrator
Got cha

O still think a fuel can/tank with a screw on vent cap is 100% better than this no vent stuff on the market now.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
No, in my opinion Monroe is a hole in the ground and a waste of water. Built for the boat industry so folks can drag other folks around like trolling for sharks. You can barley fish it during the summer because of the wake makers and to make sure fishermen don't get in their way, they stock it with 3 or 4 bait fish a year.

OK, the rant is over. I got it out of my system and have burnt the box.
Tom I agree with a lot of what you say. I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 a waste of water. I drink it every day. It鈥檚 also drinking water and the most value to the communities around it. It鈥檚 really close for me and a great asset. I just refuse to let the fact of it not having Blues to keep me from fishing for what is in there.
I guess what I am trying to say is that it鈥檚 a complex issue for everybody.

Administrator
Matt, I totally understand your view. It is beautiful water and scenery. They have great easy to get to facilities and ramps. It is basically in your back yard so it could not get more convenient..

My only point is that to me it is a let down because I can easily see how much better it could be.

So we are just discussing possible options. I have Monroe about 30 miles away, Cataract about 21 miles away and Raccoon Lake about 35 miles away. Of the three for Channels, Raccoon and Cataract far outdo Monroe. Then there is another nice Reservoir that is also close that has very large channels. Probably the best of all of them.

If cat fisherman don't get together and push DNR a little to setup a good catfish lake with the larger species, DNR will just let what is be. The way I look at it, I pay just as much as the other fisherman that get their species stocked on a regular basis. Your the same way. Why should their species be stocked in all the Indiana waters and ours ignored. It doesn't have to be all the lakes but cat fishermen pay into the system enough to have at least one reservoir stocked with bigger fish. For that matter, they could even stock our rivers with blues and flatheads. But at this point, Catfisherman are just left out and their type of fishing are ignored.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts