Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new outboard. Its small, but perfect for my boat. 9.8 hp outboard and it hardly uses gas at all. It came with a 3 gallon tank and I have taken it out twice now... had to have put 3 hours on it by now and the tank still has at least 2 gallons in it. I filled the tank up probably 3 weeks ago and I really haven't had the time to get out on the water except the weekends. How long does it take for gas to spoil, should I put some fuel stabilizer in the tank? The last thing I want to do is gum up the carb. on a brand new outboard.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Steve,
It takes awhile for gas to go bad in my opinion. Just sitting a few days in between uses will not hurt anything. Now letting it sit over the winter, or several months at a time is another story. Just get you some Stabil or Seafoam and add it to the gas and you will never have to worry about it. I prefer Seafoam. This stuff will keep your carbs clean and keep your motor running great. One other thing id do if your gonna leave it sitting for a long period of time is unhook the fuel line and let it run out of fuel on your last use. This will help the carb keep from getting gummed up. rspd507

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Don't run it out of fuel unless its a single cylinder engine. You will cause premature wear on one of those cylinders. Now add some seafoam to it and if its going to set for at least 30 days the fuel will start what is called a phase seperation so beware of useing fuel over thirty days old and also add you a fuel water seperator to you boat and it will help keep water out of the system.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I store my boat covered,in my yard Dec.-March in St.Louis winter weather.At the end of each season,I fill up 90% of the way.(leaves room for expansion)She always cranks with no hassle every spring.I;d use Sta-bil if I weren't going out for over 3 weeks or so_Oterwise,you should be good to go.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Don't run it out of fuel unless its a single cylinder engine. You will cause premature wear on one of those cylinders. Now add some seafoam to it and if its going to set for at least 30 days the fuel will start what is called a phase seperation so beware of useing fuel over thirty days old and also add you a fuel water seperator to you boat and it will help keep water out of the system.
Bubba,
Thanks for the heads up about running an engine outboard out of fuel. I didnt realize that it could cause problems. Now I know better. rspd507

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
<Don't run it out of fuel unless its a single cylinder engine. You will cause premature wear on one of those cylinders.>

VERY USEFUL INFO!
BB in SC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.