Fuel stabilizer question?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by smhmc6, Mar 8, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I recently purchased a new outboard. Its small, but perfect for my boat. 9.8 hp outboard and it hardly uses gas at all. It came with a 3 gallon tank and I have taken it out twice now... had to have put 3 hours on it by now and the tank still has at least 2 gallons in it. I filled the tank up probably 3 weeks ago and I really haven't had the time to get out on the water except the weekends. How long does it take for gas to spoil, should I put some fuel stabilizer in the tank? The last thing I want to do is gum up the carb. on a brand new outboard.

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Steve,
    It takes awhile for gas to go bad in my opinion. Just sitting a few days in between uses will not hurt anything. Now letting it sit over the winter, or several months at a time is another story. Just get you some Stabil or Seafoam and add it to the gas and you will never have to worry about it. I prefer Seafoam. This stuff will keep your carbs clean and keep your motor running great. One other thing id do if your gonna leave it sitting for a long period of time is unhook the fuel line and let it run out of fuel on your last use. This will help the carb keep from getting gummed up. rspd507

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Don't run it out of fuel unless its a single cylinder engine. You will cause premature wear on one of those cylinders. Now add some seafoam to it and if its going to set for at least 30 days the fuel will start what is called a phase seperation so beware of useing fuel over thirty days old and also add you a fuel water seperator to you boat and it will help keep water out of the system.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I cycle my outboard fuel through my truck, just to avoid having old fuel. I also use Sea Foam in ALL of my small engines that see intermittant/seasonal use.

5. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but is there such thing as putting TOO much sea foam in your gas? If i only had 3 gallons in the tank can i put in the whole can of sea foam

6. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Good point Calvin. There is a ratio of sea-foam or sta-bil to gas in the instructions on the label. Just follow the recommended ratios and you will be fine. I wouldn't want to over do it too much.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its not gonna do any damage to your motor but it would be a waste of good seafoam though and it is really gonna smoke on yea.:wink:

8. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I store my boat covered,in my yard Dec.-March in St.Louis winter weather.At the end of each season,I fill up 90% of the way.(leaves room for expansion)She always cranks with no hassle every spring.I;d use Sta-bil if I weren't going out for over 3 weeks or so_Oterwise,you should be good to go.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I used Stabil for years but switched to Seafoam and won't use anything else. I put a dab in my boat every time i fill it up.

10. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sea foam is the bomb,i use it all the time..

11. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Bubba,
    Thanks for the heads up about running an engine outboard out of fuel. I didnt realize that it could cause problems. Now I know better. rspd507

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Don't run it out of fuel unless its a single cylinder engine. You will cause premature wear on one of those cylinders.>

VERY USEFUL INFO!
    BB in SC

13. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  14. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use seafoam in all my engines and have no complaints!:wink:

15. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Seafoam is the bomb. I add it to all my vehicles and any fuel that will be stored for very long. I can ateast to its performance first hand and posted it in another link.