Fuel stabilizer, or not?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dinkbuster1, Dec 24, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this will be only the second year i will have been using my boat ALL winter long. i hear about folks using "fuel stabilizer" in their gas during the winter months, but is that if only the boat isnt being used? what exactly does that stuff do? until the last 2 yrs i would drain all the gas from my outboard-motors in November and would dump the excess from the tanks into my truck tank.

2. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i would definately use a stabilizer, it keeps varnish from building up in carbs, filter and tanks. i recently bought a boat that didn't use it and am still working to get it running right.lol boliver

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    harrel is right.
    gasoline breaks down fast
    and causes the varnishing inside the walls of the carb components
    those little passage ways get gummed up easily
    anything not being used for a couple months needs protect with a gas stabilizer
    STABIL is what we have around here
    it sure works

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Use it all the time, not just in the winter or for storage.

I wish I knew where to find the multiple paragraphs I've posted on how lousy gasoline is, so I could show you where to look. I just don't feel like typing it all again.

Use it, you'll be much happier, believe me.

5. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    STABIL is good stuff I put it in everything that sets for very long.
    The other real good one I am using is Sea Foam it will clean up a fuel system fast and it is a stabilizer.

Mark

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    anyone know about sierra brand oil filters? TIA Bob

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Use them, they're as good as any.

8. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    If ya buy the good gas to start with ,you dont need it,, That cheep stuff will go bad in as little as a month,, the good stuff will last 6 months or better

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the gas in my tank and motor gets changed every week sometimes twice a week heck i ran it 8 miles yesterday . but would like to clean it out and replace the gaskets and rubber seals in the entire fuel system oh and change the filter .

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You need to get your facts straight.

11. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    I work with gasoline every day, i see how the cheep stuff gums up carbs and i see how the good stuff dont,, i think experience over rules facts,,, when you see results with your own eyes,,, facts dont mean squat

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Then you better go get some more experience because your posts are still way off base, and you show nothing about knowledge of a two stroke outboard operation.

13. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    I aint gonna sit here and argue with ya,,you can believe what ya want, I just believe what i see, and not what i hear,
    and i work on just as many two strokes as i do four

14. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I put some stabil in my boat even though its have only been stationary for two month. But I did it just in case it get to cold to be out on the lake.:wink:

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Well, Here's what I've got to say & this is based on facts, as well as experience.. The gasoline of today is not produced with lead, needless to say, as well as a few other base products that will not allow it to meet certain federaly mandated emmissions standards.

This will in turn, allow the gas to "sour"/"gum" up quicker than in previous years. The additives that are put into the "good" gas, Premium, if you may, are designed to boost the octane, which needs as much help as it can get,as well as keeping the fuel system, injectors particuraly, clean.

None of the fuels available, will fail if used on a regular basis, will "gum" up. However, storage even on a short term basis, can deteriorate the fuel rapidly enough that the use of a fuel stabilizer WILL prevent; thus not only making the stabilizer a necessary evil but also making it cost effective to use.

In addition to the above, most stabilzers contain chemicals of some nature that will dry out any moisture that you may obtain either with the fuel you purchased or through a natural condensation process.

NUFF SAID........Y'all have a good New Years:wink:

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'd much rather pay to have a carb cleaned than pay to have an engine rebuilt because I had no idea about the use of octane or what it does.

If you want longevity in your engines, you won't get it from using high octane gas that it's not designed to use.

You think if we all got together and wrote these engine mnfg that they ain't got a clue how to run thier outboard engines, and there's a guy in MO that knows better, they would listen?:tounge_out:

17. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    like i said,,, im not gonna argue,,,
    think what ya want to

18. dredgeman

dredgeman New Member

State:
    n.c.
    i will stick with putting sea foam in my fuel.

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, i guess to be on the safe side i'm going to put some stabalizer in the tank when i fill it up again next time i go out. another question, does it hurt or matter if you use the higher octane gas? is that whats meant by "better gas"? as of now i have only been using 87 in my 25hp Johnson.

20. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Go by what your manufacture recommends, for instance, Honda recommends that you DON'T use premium gasoline in my 4 wheeler.

You know what they say, "Momma knows best".