Fuel Question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish_Calvin, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I was talking to a guy and he said when i get my boat onto the trailer, pull the gas line off of the motor and let it run out of gas. That way there isnt gas in the carb when im not using the boat. Is this a good thing to do Bubbakat?

Also, ive had my boat for a year and havent greased the bearings on the trailer. I figured id better do that this week. I see that theres a grease cert that i just pump the grease into with a grease gun. Is there a special kind of Marine grease for this? Since the bearings get submerged in water every time i put the boat in the water. If there is, can i pick it up at Wal-Mart?

2. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I always let my gas run out by detaching the gas line. it keeps the gas from going bad in the bowl in the carb. also the oil from the gas can gum up the carb when it sits for very long. as for the grease, i grease my trailers at least twice a year if not more. yes you can buy marine grease at walmart. hope this helps

3. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Thanks Elair. Not going to put it off, im on my way to Wal-Mart. Thank ya bud!

4. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    The reason i was asking about letting the gas run out is because ive heard people say its not good to let your boat run out of gas.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    If I don't plan on using my boat for a little while then I pull the hose and run all the fuel out of the engine. Most of the time I will be going fishing again not long afterwards so I just pull up onto the trailer shut it off and hit the road.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe Bubba is gonna tell you it does no good to run the fuel out of your carbs, as only one carb will be empty. It's best to use a stabilizer like seafoam additive in the fuel every time you gas up.
    Also, if you've had the boat that long, and haven't done it yet, I'd recommend you pull those bearings, clean them up, and do a close inspection on the bearings for wear and/or heat, stress fractions, and inspect the hubs also for cracks and stress. The grease zerk is okay when used between trips, but don't count on them for normal maintenance.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i used to run run engine dry. then was explained it wasn't running dry. used stablilizer for long time, then was told about sea foam. now nothing but seafoam in mine. never run motor dry and sometimes it sits for months in yuma while i have to run to idaho and take care of folks. never had any problems other than normal tune ups with it.
    gary

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Stop and think. Where does an 2 stroke outboard get its oil for the internial working parts from. It gets it from the oil that is pushed through the intake via the carbs. If you have more then one cylinder in that power head then one of them is going to starve for oil when it runs out of fuel while the other one is still running off what fuel is left in the bowl. Hense you will have excess wear on that cylinder. If you care about those engines then don't run them out of fuel do like has been suggested either drain thew fuel out of the carbs and hoses or run some good stablizer in the fuel. But of course this is only a suggestion by no means think that I would try to make you do something with you own property that you would other wise feel alright doing.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Run them dry!!!

The mechanics need the work.:smile2:

10. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    I HAVE THE PERFECT ANSWER TO YOUR FUEL QUESTION.FISH MORE OFTEN.THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE FUEL GOING BAD.:wink:

11. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Oh i fish very often trust me :) Catfish tournaments every saturday from May to September. Then fishing every or every other day after work when the weather is nice.

Sounds like SeaFoam is the way to go. Ill definitly go that route. I figured running it out of gas would do harm. Im glad i asked before i did it.

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bubba! You needin any xtra help down there? I'm gettin tire of doin the industrial maintenance millwright gig, and it looks like work is goin to be pickin up for ya. I got my own hand tools, lots of 2 stroke xperience, and a great sense of humor. :wink: I make a mean pot of joe too! :smile2: