FUEL PUMP QUESTION

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bassslayer, Oct 1, 2008.

1. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    ITS A 1981 115 HP EVINRUDE, MOD# E115TLCIM...I REPLACED THE FUEL MANIFOLD ASSEMBLY ON MONDAY BECAUSE IT WAS BROKE. I STARTED THE MOTOR TO CHECK FOR LEAKS AND THE MOTOR WOULD ONLY RUN FOR A FEW SECONDS AND SHUT OFF...I HAD TO KEEP PUMPING THE PRIMER BULB BETWEEN STARTS AND IT WOULD RUN AGAIN AND THEN SHUT OFF. HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THE FUEL PUMP IS NOT FUCTIONING?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Follow the fuel lines from the pump to the carbs and remove the line that supply's the carb and leave it hooked to the pump. Insert the end into a clear container and turn the engine over and it should pump fuel in spurts a good bit. Every time the engine turns over it creates a vacuum pulse that pulls the diaphragm and causes gas to drawn into the fuel pump. Then on the other stroke it forces the fuel from the pump to the carb. Those are not really carbs they are fuel metering devices to be a carb they have to have a accelerator pump built into them.

3. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    THANKS BUBBA..I AM BLESSED FOR YOUR ADVISE!!:big_smile:

4. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    thanks bubba for the advise... i checked my fuel pump and it pumps just fine.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My fuel pump pumped just fine also, until you really opened up the throttle and it was sucking air.If you could get some clear fuel line and a vaccum gauge, it may be alot easier to rule out the fuel pump, and also to rule out if you have an air leak somewhere. Mine was not leaking a drop of fuel, but was still sucking air, and it acted just like yours, start it and it would die shortley after if I didnt get going in a hurry.

6. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    WELL I FINALLY GOT MY BOAT OUT ON THE LAKE ON OCT 9TH.. IT RAN GREAT.. ON OCT 10TH I WENT OUT AGAIN BUT THE MOTOR ACTED UP..I PUSHED THROTTLE TO FULL AND THE MOTOR SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS GETING TOO MUCH FUEL OR NOT ENOUGH AIR, MADE A BOGGING SOUND... I CHECKED MY SPARK PLUGS, THREE WERE WET AND BLACK ONE WAS DRY AND LOOKED GOOD...ANY ADVISE? OH, ITS A EVINRUDE 115HP E115TLC1M

7. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    I SPRAYED CARB LEANER AROUND OUTSIDE THE CARBS AND HOSES...I THINK IF I HAD AN AIR LEAK OR SUCK ISSUE, WOULDNT THE MOTOR SPEED UP WHEN THE CARB CLEANER GOT SUCKED IN WHERE THE LEAK IS?

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The pump isn't supplying enough fuel to maintain the rpm you need. This could be from a pin hole in the fuel pump diagpram or from a connector or a air leak in one of the hoses between the tank and the pump. I have also seen on occasions where a coil breaking down one do the same. The dry plug tells me that the carb was running out of fuel but the wet one could not have been firing. Was the wet one soaking wet or moderately wet.

9. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    the three plugs were moderatly wet....when i was in full throttle all four jets were spraying fuel into the carbs, it was a good fan of fuel in all four. after an hour i got tired of messing with it and decided to go fishin, all of a sudden the moter ran good again, full throttle....hmm go figure.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You may have a coil wire breaking down or a plug that wants to quit and then go back to working. Pull the cover off and run it after dark and look at the plug wires and see if any are jumping fire. Also clean all the grounds to the coils. I have seen bad grounds to the coils take a cylinder after awhile and then go back to working.

11. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    thnks for your advise, i will tonight

12. cbcs

cbcs New Member

State:
    florida
    Try checking the the filter in your fuel bulb that runs between the tank and motor.

13. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    HEY GUYS, I JUST RAN THE MOTOR AND FOUND A FUEL LEAK AT THE PORT SIDE MOTOR JUST TO THE REAR OF THE STARTER SOLINOID. THE ARE TWO VERY SMALL NIPPLE PORTS THAT TWO SMALL HOSES HOOK TO. ANY WAY THE BOTTOM PORT/HOSE IS LEAKING....ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THOSE PORTS ARE?, (I IMAGINE SOME VACCUM LINE)

14. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    HEY BUBBA, I CHECKED FOR SPARKS AT NIGHT....NO SPARKS UNDER THE HOOD! :smile2: I WANTED TO ADD THAT THE MOTOR IS COUGHING AT IDLE, AND I GUESS IT HAS TO DO WITH THAT LEAK I JUST FOUND.:confused2:

15. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    I WAS GOING OVER THESE THREADS AND RE-READ THIS ONE FROM TBULL...SO WHERE WAS YOUR PUMP SUCKING AIR FROM/AT?

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I posted a thread titled problem solved. Basically my pump was missing the gasket between the filter cap and the pump body. The filter cap is the circular piece that has 1 screw that attaches it to the pump, the piece that has the tube where the main fuel line from the engine attaches to the pump. The inner portion of that piece had 3 small cracks, probably due to the fact the gasket was missing, and when tightening down it was plastic vs metal, metal wins. I was having some very similar problems that you are. Did you say you checked for spark and had none? Your fuel pump may be different than mine