Fuel Price Gouging

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by waterwalker, Mar 30, 2006.

1. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I wonder how many BOc members think the oil companies are treating us
    fairly with petroleum products. Do you believe they are making only ten
    cents per gallon of Gas? Five years ago I decided to install new windows
    and increase my insulation value...in my area the natural gas rate was
    about $6.00 per unit...next year it was $9.00 per unit, so much for
    conserving energy...today it is around $16.47 per unit in this area. The price increase was all hurricane related...or some nut case in Iran, seems like it is just another reason to bend us over a barrel...of oil that is. The oil companies will use any event to increase profits, tactics like a fear of
    shortage...remember the rationing during the Reagon years. Supply and
    demand...I was taught in the old days about this...the bottom line for this
    is what ever the market will bear...very much in effect today.

Went for gas today, I paid $2.45 for regular, two hours later I went past
    the same station...guess what it was $2.89...who in the " H " is holding
    the trigger...who decides the increase and how does all the stations get
    this information all at one time.

All states are different as far as prices, it depends on each state's
    " special blends " especialy those members in California. How many people
    notice how much the state to state taxes are on gasoline, seems to me
    states are just about as bad as oil companies, supposed to be for road
    improvement, you should drive on some Ohio roads...wonder what happened to all that money.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it is a bunch of crap myself. Those oil companies are making so much money and so is uncle sam. Check out oil companies profits, they keep growing by huge amounts!! That doesnt make any sense if they say they are having to rise to make any money. As far as gas stations changing the prices I think that is dumb because they arent getting a new shipment in, the price they paid for whats in their tanks is what they paid so they are getting more everytime the rise it. I think that there definately needs to be a stop to this, but Im not sure there ever will be. The government got it above $2 and now they just think that we are used to it and when we pay $2.50 and then they lower it to like $2.25 we are like WOW prices went down. Then they just jack it back up. I burn diesel fuel myself and it gets outrageous! Diesel is a byproduct of gas so that makes absolutely NO sense on how diesel should be higher than gas. It is all just a political game and we are just going to have to let them hand it to us and pay whatever they ask us too. We are SOOOO fuel depended its like we are addicted. WE HAVE TO HAVE IT! I get all bent out of shape over the prices becuase like I said its all just a game for them to see how much they can get out of us!!! And Im sure (At least hope) Im not the only one who feels this way!

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Uncle sam needs to find money somewhere to pay for the war in Iraq, just a guess.

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    The Oil companies are makeing a great profit. The Gas stations on the other hand are not makeing any more profit now than they were when gas was a dollar. The local gas station unless it is BP,Shell and so on the big oil companies stations are at the mercy of the fuel suppliers. They have to raise the price according to what they will have to pay to fefill. I am not trying to stick up for them. It is hurting everyone.

The oil companies are makeing a profit huge at that. There have be lean years also. The biggest reason the price is where it is at is OPEC. The second reason is speculators. The buy oil on the stock exchange to run it up and make money. There are other reasons all political but there is no reason to get in to it. In MHO all the poloticians are guilty.

Buy bio fuels that is the future in rducing our demand for petrolium.JMHO

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I think we are being bent over but y'know what we really don't help ourselves. Has anyone seen the new jeep that has just come out? A big gas guzzling high performance 4 x 4 that is built for road use. It gets 11 MPG and I'm sure they will sell plenty of them. Until this country stops it's love affair with big fuel inefficient engines and sends a message to Detroit that they want something different that will stop this country being the fuel cash-cow it is, the oil companies will continue to make hay (outrageous profit)...W

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    It ain't the retailers that are making the profits. I sold gas for 15 years and I can assure you of that.

Most people only look at what it's costing to fill their tanks, but when the price goes up, everything you buy costs more. Everything you buy was delivered to the store using fuel and those extra shipping costs are passed off to the consumer. Our electric rates have gone up twice in the past few months due to increased costs to TVA for coal and natural gas.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't begrudge any business with their right to make a profit. What I do get on the soap box about and get very, very vocal, is the thought that they are entitled to make a profit on last years profit. As long as they meet their expenses, put a little (notice I said a little) back for R&D, and are not operating in the black, then that is all the profit they need. These CEO's do not need the salary they get either. Crying shame.

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i'll be dang i'm actually going to half to agree with you on this one:)

9. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I think we are all standing in a 55 gal barrel of crap, and uncle sam is throwing 5 gal buckets of crap at us seeing if we will duck or not :rolleyes:. i think what all the truck drivers need to do is just stop driving and delivering for a day or two and demand for fuel prices to drop down again to atleast 2.00. I think this would catch the attention of Bush and the rest of the "gougers" <--- if spelled right

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think we can all agree on this one. Yesterday gas went up to 2.60 today 2.72. With summer just around the corner I see 3.00 a gallon almost impossible to not happen. Its getting to be a major decision to fill up the tank.

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i like matt stratts idea about shutting down for a day or two
    i think if the people and truckers all do this it could help
    i cant see how it could hurt.
    what irks the heck out of me is this load of crap about
    WE NEED TO WEAN OURSELVES OFF FOREIGN OIL................

we friggin export oil ourselves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    how do you explain buying and selling oil?????
    isnt this incredably ironic???
    its all big business ,and the little people (US) as in you and i are footing the bill.
    i for one am sick of it. my wages dont increase yet my expendatures do.
    tonite i got 1 gallon for the weed eater 2 gallons for the mowers
    and 2 gallons for the boat 12.45 for 5 gallons of gas that makes me ill

12. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Every one know about bio fuel ? Read about it and learn what the gov. doesn't want ya to know.
    Willie for President and Kinky Friedman for Texas Gov.

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
  14. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    From what i understand the refineries tell the gas stations what to sell gas at depending on the area they are in. Ever notice that in the well to do areas the price is higher but 5 miles away in the last fortunate areas the price is always lower. The higher price revenues produce more tax dolars.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Gasoline is usually taxed on a set amount per gallon, the fed rate is 18.4 cents per gallon, with the states adding on to that. Price increases do not equal tax revenue increases, with the exception of a handfull of states that charge a sales tax or similar percentage based tax. If you want to see the breakdown per state, use the link below.

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

As to gas stations raising the price without receiving a new shipment, that is how it works. If prices go up, they benefit from inventory, if prices go down they end up eating it. I'm sure it averages out in their favor, but thats pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not trying to defend the high gas prices - there are problems, but the problems run a little deeper than tax revenues and gas stations.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gary,

Thanks for the link on gas taxes, nice to compare the states.

I never have understood where anyone could think the high fuel cost was because of the government.

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Here in my hometown, the good old ethanol station is the same price as the other stations are and over where Rat lives their's is a dime higher than here, a difference of five miles. When I lived in Ca. a student at UCLA made a carberator for a 350 chevy that would get 75 mpg. Three gentlemen in suits walked in, handed him a briefcase with $60,000.00 in it and took the carberator, saying it was theirs. The other choice other than the money was not a good one. He still had one left on his car, but can make no more to sell. Come on $3.00, I just can't wait to have to start walking.....lol.....NOT!!

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    As long as everyone keeps buying it at there prices, they will keep sticking it in everyone's shorts. But who amoung us is going to stay home on a nice day and not drownd some worms? The oil co.'s know this and so in the shorts it goes! I agree with an earlier post, I to remember the Carter days and I sure don't what that, or any more Clintons either. Just remember that the retail stores are only making between 3 and 10 cents a gallon the rest is taxes and oil co. profits. Most of the c-stores are banking on the other stuff you buy.

19. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Took my daughter to school this morning at 720 a.m. the gas here in O'fallon Illinois was 2.47 on the way back just 25 minutes the gas went up to 2.59. I'M thinking we are getting the raw end of the deal, it's as if those who are millionaires or billionaires can't deal with just being rich they also have to help others go poor. I think if people would hold off on buying gas for a day or so it would hurt their money intake, however they'd probably raise the gas price even more after that to make up for the lose to there pocket books.

20. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    If they are buying on consignment, then their cost may change on the gas they have in their tanks. The distributor charges them based on the daily rack price that they pay.

It mostly depends on what the competitors are doing. If the station next door gets a fresh load and his price goes up, then you raise yours too and take advantage of the opportunity to make a few more cents per gallon. If he goes down, then you lower yours too in order to stay competetive and sometimes have to eat the loss.

Name one product other than fuel where everyone who sells it has the price on a huge sign near the street for everyone to see. It's a very competetive business among retailers. A couple of pennies per gallon can make the difference between getting the other guy's customers into your store or him getting yours.