Fuel oil ratio...

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by youngun, May 18, 2006.

1. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    O.K., here's the deal. I Have a 1996 force engine that says it is supposed to have a 50:1 oil ratio (written on the moter). When I bought the boat, the owner told me that I put in 8 ounces of oil for every 1 gallon of gas. That is a 8:1 ratio, right? What the hell does 50:1 mean? Don's get me wrong, I'm a smart guy, but math is not my strong point. I know it does not mean I put 50 ounces of oil for every gallon. Please help me, I'm pretty confused.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    128 ounces in 1 gallon.128 ounces divided by 50=2.56 onces per gallon of gas.BP.,Wal-Mart,mariners and boat dealers sell a plastic jar or bottle with all the amounts printed on it.This makes it very easy.peewee-williams

3. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    1 oz of oil for every 50 oz of gas:big_smile:

4. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Thanks. Yeah, I put 88 ounces in my 11 gallon fuel tank when I should have put in 33 ounces or so. Guess I'll be cleaning those spark plugs real soon huh? Thanks for the info.
    Youngun

5. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    At least the smoke will keep the bugs away

6. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    peewee is right go down and buy you one the bottles with the ratios on them so that way no matter what amount of gas you get you can figure the oil with no trouble. Welcome aboard.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We all have over done it.Now comes the way to solve the problem.If you have 11 gallons of gas in the tank.Put 2/3 rds.(7 gallons) in other containers.That will leave you with 3.66 gallons in your 11 gallon tank.Fill it up to 11 gallons with plain gas.You now have the correct mixture,or close enough.Do it 2 more times and you have used your gas and not wasted it.I would put some stabilizer in it all.Us old folks had to learn to juggle it and correct our Boo Boos as the newer motors came in with 50-1,while the older were 24-1.We just mixed it normally at 24-1 and added gas to it gallon for gallon for the 50-1s as needed.I have been running my old stale outboard gas with oil in my lawn mowers for 2 years.I put 1 gallon of it in my 5 gallon can,and then fill it up with gas at the pump.This diluted mix has ran fine for 2 years and no plug problems so far with the B & S 9 hp.engine.It should reduce the upper cylinder wear.I would NOT do this with a auto engine as it could ruin a catalytic converter.peewee-williams

8. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Umm, see, I did't realize it was a 50:1 oil ratio untill I was already on the water. So I already used up that gas, but thanks for the idea Pee-Wee.