fuel mix

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by johnboat, Jun 26, 2009.

1. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    hey,
    i wonder if anyone knows the right fuel mixture for a 1964 evinrude sportwin 9.5 ??? i've been told by some 50:1 and others 24:1, and even 40:1... so whos the expert here that can give me the real skinny ??? it's a completely rebuilt motor with good compression, so i don't want to burn it up in the middle of a river or lake... thanks all.. p.s, i've never had a motor this big...:misdoubt:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    So, you've never had a motor that big, well don't let all that horse power get the best of you:smile2:

With the better quality of today's oil, a 50:1 mix is just fine. If you mix a pint to six gallons, it's actually slightly heavy on the oil.

Invest in a mixing bottle, if you don't already have one. It'll keep the guess work out of those partial fill ups.

It's more important than ever to use the proper stabilizer with the ethonal gas we have today.

Seafoam was always a good additive, but the test results with it and the latest formulation of todays gas, are not to be found. Other products of stabilizer have been modified to suit the added ethonal. Stabil, has a green/blue colored product that's on the market now.

If it's recently been rebuilt and you're in a break in period, use a 25:1 mix for at least the first 6 gallons, then back to a 50:1. It'll smoke alot, and may foul a plug, but you need that extra oil during break in.

3. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    thanks for the info bobpaul, yea like i said this motor is new to me, all i've ever used before was a trolling motor, so i'm getting into waters i'm not sure of..lol.. now if i could find a owners manual to figure out what is what i'll be in business.. thanks again..:0a22:

4. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Wes, check out E-bay
    ORIGINAL NOT A COPY MODELS 9822-9823 OPERATING INSTRUC. Item number: 360165756698
    it is for a 1968 but might give you an idea.

5. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    thanks for the info trappersteve, the evinrude i have is a sportwin.. model #9422 s and i think the guy said it was a 1964 ... still looks real good tho..

6. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I have had the same motor as that for 15 years and have always run 50:1. Love that motor, always starts 2nd pull and has never died on me ever.

7. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    thanks for the info xsmokin, by the looks of things, thats the mixture for me.. i'm still looking for a service manual for it.. the lean/rich mixture control is missing a linkage and i need to see what it looks like.. also, great looking cat in your pic..