Fuel lines , cleaning

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Localhero813, May 26, 2007.

1. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    how can i clean my fuel lines without taking apart my motor. i hane all the tools but i really dont want to send it off, or take the motor apart to clean them. we think over the winter the fuel in the engine gummed up the lines/ or carb. is there any easy way to clean out the lines or the carb.
    it is a 1968 mercury model 39. its a 3.9 hp and they do not make parts for it so i cant tear anything up . and it is not worth the money to have it professionaly done.:crazy:

Thanks

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Don't know much about your motor but I would think that ya shouldn't have much line under your cowling. If you are gummed up my guess would be it's in your carb. Chances are you are due for new lines and a carb rebuild anyway.
    Short of that, ya might try running a strong dose of SeaFoam thru it, or a good soak, and maybe blow it out with compressed air.

I always advise going ahead and replacing the water pump impeller too. Everyone I have talked into this has found their impeller to be on it's last legs. Not hard to do yourself and your local dealer may have one in stock. My dealer had two for mine. Something like 12 dollars apiece.

I can't remember the address right now but there is a site on the web that sells parts for older Outboards. they even have parts for my 65 Johnson. I'll look real quick and see if I still have the name of the site, BRB

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That was quick! Still had them in my favorites.
    The name is MasterTech Marine.

Good luck!

4. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    my problem is that the motor isnt worth putting a whole bunch of money into a carb and all new fuel lines would not be cheap . we are trying to sell it so i am trying to keep it as cheap as posible

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Been messing with these old motors for a long time and what you are describing there is no quick fix. But a carb rebuild and new lines and impeller should be under 25 bucks and if its not worth that much then be sure to be truthful with the buyer and don't stick him or her with the problem without them knowing it.

6. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ok i did not know that it would be that cheap ,:cool2:and i would NEVER rip off a fellow boater or fisherman!!!

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can buy the fuel line at any parts store and the kit for the carb I can give you info for and the impeller can be bought there also. This price is if you do it yourself.

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    On the bright side, a good running motor will fetch a higher price.

Good running small motors are worth gold up here. Few who have one will part with it, and many would like to have one.

9. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    the problem with us doing it ourselves is we have never taken apart a outboard. my dad looked at it and saidm it was way different than any 2 stroke he had ener seen.:eek:oooh:

10. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ok me and dad looked it over. here is the verdict. if you put gas/oil mix(2 stroke) into the cylinder via spark plug hole,and crank on it it will start and run til the gas in the cylinder is gone.we cleaned the carb from the outside and cleaned the needle valves. the last owner said it ran last fall but has sat over the winter and this spring. we decided if we can get it running good we might keep it but if not we are going to sell it.:angry:but i would really like to keep it to use on my 14 foot jon boat if at all possible

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Might drain the float bowl too. See what comes out of it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

12. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    we cant find a float bowl and cant find any info or diagrams to show us where it is:cool2:

13. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    it will not pull gas form the tank. it will however run for a second if you put fuel in thr spark plug port so their has to be a clog in the carb or lines. does sea foam come in a :cool2:pressurized can

14. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Float bowl, bottom of the carb, near where the fuel line connects to the carb.,there should be a bolt/screw at or near the bottom. Mine has a drain on the side near the bottom.

If it is the screw/bolt holding the bowl to the carb, make sure you hold the bowl up so as not to booger the gasket. It should drain. look for "nasty" coming out. If you get nothing, (fuel, nasty) the float/valve could be the prob.

This might be a silly question but do you have the drain cock on the line from the tank open?

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "This might be a silly question but do you have the drain cock on the line from the tank open?"

Pull the line from the bottom of the drain cock and see if you have fuel flow.

I am not sure what all you have tried but always start with the simple stuff before you assume a major problem.

Had a buddy who got as far as pulling the gas tank off of his pickup truck before he realized that his pump was not bad, he was just out of gas! He knew better, just was not thinking. we still give him the dickins over that one! LOL!

Same guy who could not get his lawn tractor to start for 2 weeks, called in the boys for help. Our first question was "will this thing run without someone in the seat?"(he forgot about the deadman switch) Thought he was going to die of embarrassment on the spot! ROTFLMAO!:big_smile:

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You've been getting some good information. from the looks of your responses though, I don't see you being too mechanicly inclined. I may be wrong.

Now look for the obvious things, then stop looking for a quick fix to your sludged up problem, if you have one. Nothing short of PFM will recondition a carb or fuel line that's had gas set up in it.

17. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    im sorry but this is my first outboard and is my dads first also ok. the fuel is getting to the motor. if i pump the bulb to prime it it gets hard(as i was told it would do). i figured that it would not pull fuel unless it was running so thus we put fuel in the spark plug port and started it, but would not pull fuel from the line.that is where i am getting that the carb is gunked up. but feel free to correct me if i am wrong. if i could find some diagrams on the carb i would not feel bad about taking it apart to clean it and put on a tune up kit on . ican get a tune u kit for 20.00 on ebay for this motor.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Get the kit, take the carb off, lay out the part from the kt in one area and as you dismantle your carb, lay out the parts from it in another area. using clean paper towels works well.

When you take off the float bowl, you'll see the sludge inside that's causing the problem.

Soak all the parts in amonia if you don't have a carb soak solution, it takes longer, but works well.

Get a can of spray carb cleaner and blow out all the fine holes, reassemble and get back to running.

take knote of where the low speed needle is set by counting the turns in clockwise, put it back in the same position during reassembly.

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well, I am not at home to give you the link to the site where you can get the diag. I am wasting my time off on vacation. Right now I am in houstion texas and won't be home until next week.

20. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia