Fuel Line Water Filter

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BKS72, Jan 15, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I see a fuel/water separator at Wal-Mart every time I go in the boat aisle. I've thought about putting one of those or a similar unit in, but I'm wondering if a 1980 Evinrude 75 would have enough suction at the fuel pump to pull fuel through it. Also wondering if there would be any issue with it separating oil out of the fuel. Thanks!

Branden

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have one on a 1975 85 h/p evenrude. I have no problem with it working as it was suppose to do.

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I was wondering about this same thing.
    BKS72 thanks for asking the question.:cool2:
    Mr King thank you for your answer.:wink:

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I realize that you have a 2 stroker but think about an engine oil filter ????, it allows your oil to pass thru.

Many of the water seperators work by seperating the oil from fuel (mix) by centrafugal force, due to the fact that the water is heavier. It's not the micron size of the filter element that keeps the water from passing thru.

The brand that is most common around here (saltwater), is RAACOR. You can find them @ West Marine.

Happy Fishing !!

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks guys! The reason I ask about oil separation is that I put in an in-line fuel filter (I know, I just need to get rid of the metal tank instead of band-aiding the problem:wink:) with a plastic screen element. The guy who does my motor work mentioned to me to never use a paper-element filter since they can filter the oil out of the mix. He's forgotten more about outboards than I'll ever know, so I tend to listen to him. Didn't think there would be a problem with the water separator since it's made for marine applications, but better safe than sorry. Thanks again!

Branden

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I'm a little confused! Well, OK, it's true I'm am confused most of the time!:confused2:

But, today I've been looking at the water separation filters for sale at Bass Pro ($21.99) Wall-Mart ($24.99), and Academy ($21.99). All look like the same filter Kit...a top bracket with two mounting holes, a spin on filter, which looks like an auto oil filter, and two bolts to block off two of the four holes in the top bracket.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...r=45681&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

(1).What I don't understand is how the filter is supposed to filter out the water from the fuel? Is the water contained in the filter, and if so how do you know when it's time to change the filter?

(2). Both kits are marked for Mercury 2 or 4 cycle Motors. Is there any reason any motor couldn't be used? Such as my small 4 HP four cycle Nissan motor?:roll_eyes:

Help!!

Bill

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bill Those are all the same units. You will know to change it when it starts bogging down.:wink: I change mine every Nov. and I always keep a spare filter on hand.

Yes bill those can be used on any motor.

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Bubbakat, thank you very much for your help! :smile2:

Tomorrow, if we are not covered with snow and ice, I'll go get one at a Academy about a mile from my house.

Is the boat's transom the best place to mount the filter?

Bill

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That will work bill and put the primer bulb inbetween it and the motor.

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks again Bubbakat. I'm glad you told me where to place the primer blub because I would have placed it between the fuel tank and the filter!:crazy:

I may have some more questions after I buy the filter kit.

Bill

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, If you use the RAACOR style, it has a clear bowl on the bottom that you'll be able to see the water in. It also has a drain on it so that you can relieve the water w/o changing the filter element.

I check mine each time I go out & change the filter element once a year.

HTH, Elliot

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That RAACOR brand is the way to go but be prepaired for the increase of the cost. That is the same thing I use on the farm tractors we have.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  14. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Academy has a Raacor look alike Filter Kit for $45.00, with replacement filters for $16.00.

Nice, but I bought the $19.95 TEMPO kit. Replacement filters are $6.00.

http://www.tempoproducts.com/products.php?action=view&tier=parts&item_id=6

It would be nice being able to drain any water, but.....$$$$$!:tounge_out:

Bill

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hey you are good to go bill. That is what I have and it works fine. I was day dreaming a little.:wink:

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Bubbakat! You have been a great help, and I do appreciate it!

Bill

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, what Bill said! :wink:

Branden