fuel gauge

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by fishingbuddy4, Feb 27, 2008.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Anyone know how to hookup a fuel gauge if i just want to hook it up with a switch to turn it off and on ? I have a purple ,dark blue and black on the gauge .and pink and black on the sending unit

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Are there any letters beside the post on the gauge? You need to pay more attention to them that the color wires. Someone may have just used what ever color wire they had at the time. What brand gauge is it? Teleflex, Faria?

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    One of them should be marked with an I. That is the one you want to put on a switch. It is your the ignition terminal or wire. If wired correctly with the color code it should be purple if I recall correctly. That doesn't mean the purple is 100% the wire you need to put on a switch. Like I said someone may have goofed the color on the wires. It happens.
    I hope this helps.
    David

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The pink goes to the sending unit and it should be marked on the gage. The black is ground You can break it at the switch. The purple wire is the power on wire when the switch is on. I have a schematic some where I'll see if I can locate it and post it for yea.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    After you get that gage installed, and working properly, make yourself a dipstick, so you'll know how much fuel you have.:roll_eyes::wink:

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    so if i get this right power dosnt go to the sending unit ,purple to the switch,then to 12v+ black to neg- ,then pink straight from sending unit to gauge ,where does the black go off the sending unit to neg-on the battery?

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The purple is hot off the switch. The black on the gage goes to the sending unit ground or you can ground it good under the consol and be sure to ground the sending unit to the neg on the battery. Just hold off today I have that drawing somewhere and I'll post it for you.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Maybe this will clear things up. http://www.faria-instruments.com/downloads.php
    Scroll down on the link to fuel level gauge.
    Put your switch on the ignition wire terminal.
    I would only recommend any boat ground be tot he battery. You can get battery ground under the dash if available.
    I hope this helps,
    David

Attached Files:

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    thanks for the help ,all done and works great