fuel filter

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Hootowlc3, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I bought a water separator fuel filter for my 60 hp Johnson 2 stroke. Is the in line fuel filter still needed or is it over kill? Will it put more strain on the fuel pump?
    Also if i leave it in line does it need to go in line before or after the water separator?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would remove it. The water seperator will surfice well. Glad you are doing this and you will be to.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I run 6 gallon cans on a 75 johnson. Is there any way to put this on a rig with portable tanks? thanks

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sure you can. Just split the line and add the barbed connectors and hook it up.

5. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for the reply. Now all I have to do is get some new fuel line from the auto parts store.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would not get fuel line from an autoparts store.Go to your local boat dealer or marina and ask if they have any marine fuel line laying around or just buy some.Marine fuel lines are made for the marine environment with its high moisture,salt and corrosion.Boat fuel lines have fuel sitting in them for long periods of inactivity also.Make sure what you get is ethanol proof also_On another but similiar tact STA-Bil now make a marine specific version just for boaters.It has 8 times the corrosion protection and 5 times the stabilizers as the non marine version.Auto parts are not made to marine specifications for the most part,can the be used sure are they the best application?Not necessarily,:sad2:You pay your money and take your chances, just like when you buy a marriage license!!!!:big_smile::smile2::wink:

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    just a word of advice, for anyone else wanting to add a fuel water seperator, the ones that i have seen at walmart do not have the fuel line barbs. its worth the extra couple of bucks to go to elsewhere and get one with fuel barbs, as i was not able to find fuel hose fittings that would screw into it at all anywhere i looked. just keep in mind to get one with the fuel barbs, it will make life a little easier