Fuel filter change

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by SCcatfishing, Sep 17, 2009.

1. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey I need a little help here... I changed my upper fuel filter on the 6.5 t/d and wow it was jet black.... Well after I changed it when I get on the gas good it just lays the black smoke out....Never has done this before but I never have changed the filter as I just got the truck..

So is this normal... Or is this how it was suppost to run all along???

2. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    If you getting lot of black smoke under load check air filter for air restriction. Not enough air when you get black smoke.:wink:

White smoke to much fuel. Clean exhaust under load just right air and fuel max horsepower,

3. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Found my issue the filter was so dirty it wasn't supplying enough fuel then when I changed the filter it was allowing the opt fuel to the injector pump!!! So a hidden issue was the wastegate solenoid not allowing the turbo to spool up enough to handle the opt fuel that is being delivered... I have vacuum from the vac pump to the wastegate solenoid but not from the solenoid to the wastegate... So it's a bad wastegate solenoid or a electrical issue to the solenoid....
    For yall that don't know what the wastegate does it's a vaccume controlled plunger that activates the turbo that allows it to spool(push more tail pipe back though the engiane to be burnt again and pushs some out the tail pipe...)

I'm not a diesel mechanic but I'm sure on my way to being one!!!!:wink:

4. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    That was the first thing I did.... Removed the air filter no change then removed the whole box lol... Ran a 4'' pc of flex pipe to the bumper then went for a ride and wow more power and more black smoke!!! This is a 95 3500 with a electric fuel system more air means it gives it more fuel which = more black smoke :wink:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

If you didn't add some type of air filter you will get the turbo first then the head or block will follow in persuit

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    In the orignal post if you are running a d-max or power stroke then if the fuel has been turned to it then it will smoke.
    I run a cummins with a few mods to the pump with a shaved fuel pin 366 spring and timing advanced 1/8 it gives me more torque and better fuel milage and I also run a BHAF filter from NAPA. with a 4 inch exhaust and it smokes when I want it to. I have to pedal lightly to keep it at a haze. My EGT runs about 10 when pulling a load.

7. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm getting the turbo to spool but not full turbo do to the wastegate not opening on hard acceleration thats when the black smoke starts rolling out the tail pipe... Looks cool but sucks for the person behind me and sucks if a cop gets blacked out by me...

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I am assuming that the wastgate is vacuum operated. If so then check where it connects to the block for the vacume sourse because it will release carbon into the line and stop it up.
    I use a non wastegated turbo myself. Your waste gate itself may be bad. I'll see if I can run down a procedure for testing those things.:wink:

9. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Well I went out today at 7am to look at it and it was the wiring... I must of broke the wire to the solenoid when changing the fuel filter... It was brittle and cracked in half at the waste gate solenoid re wired the connector... went for a test drive more power and no black smoke....... Thanks for yalls input and help!!!

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks for the report. I love those diesels old and new.