Fuel delivery problem ??

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by okie catfish hunter, May 3, 2006.

1. okie catfish hunter

okie catfish hunter Member

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    Sorry about the repeat post, I didn't see this forum when I posted this on the boating thread.

I have a 40 HP Evinrude that sat for 3 years. We went through the fuel system last year. The fuel pump was shot. The carbs were gone through with new kits, all fuel lines were replaced. The previous owner had had a problem with the 2 cycle oil pump which caused damage to the engine that has since been rebuilt. This scared him enough that he started premixing the gas instead of relying on the pump. The local boat shop wanted close to replacement cost of the pump to special order a kit for the pump. To get the boat running last year since we didn't need the oil pump we installed an electric pump designed for a small vehicle. It runs fine up to about 3/4 throttle. At full throttle it runs great for a few seconds and then starts surging like it is starving for fuel. It ran fine before it sat for three years while I was replacing the deck on the boat. Is an electric pump just not a good idea? Does a fuel pump designed for just gasoline have trouble with premix?Am I maybe overlooking something else? It is a 4 PSI pump but I'm not sure of the volume. What volume is required for this engine? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dave give us a model number off that engine so we can determine exactly what motor we are trying to fix here.

There is a way to use the original fuel pump without using the oil pump to and I never have liked the idea of using an electric auto type fuel pump.
    It may be ok but I've never seen one work right.

3. okie catfish hunter

okie catfish hunter Member

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    It's a 1992 40 HP Evinrude
    Thanks,
    Dave