Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you do add a fuel additive when your motor sets thru winter, it is a good time to get things ready.

Some use fuel additives and some don't. I started using Sta-Bbil Marine fuel additive several years ago. Initially I added it each time I put fuel in the tank. Later, I changed and just put the additive I when winter is coming which will mean the boat will set idle more than in summer.

Now there are several fuel additives on the market and each announce what their product is going to do for you. You should always get some salt when hearing what the products do because it often should be taken with a grain of salt.

I decided on using Sta-Bil because I don't want the gas going bad because of the period of time it may set in the tank. I don't want it jelling might be the right terminology. Things I like about Sta-Bil Marine is it will help maintain the fuel octane and will help prevent that jelling process. To do that it has to be in the fuel and the motor has to be ran to circulate it thru the engine. One thing I like about the product is that it only calls for 1 ounce for 10 gallons of fuel. But getting more than that in the tank doesn't harm anything. For the winter months, I put two to three times the normal amount. That is still much cheaper than having to get a carburetor cleaned and rebuilt. Another thing I like is that there is a good measuring system designed into the bottle.

I would add that Sta-Bil does not remove water that may have gotten in the fuel. For that matter, nothing I know of does REMOVE the water. Water will stay separate from the gas and stay on the bottom of the tank. It doesn't cause any harm unless it is get close enough to the fuel inlet going to the motor and sent to the cylinder. Some products said to remove water will actually mix with the water and the fuel so the water molecules are suspended in the fuel, allowing them to be carried thru the engine with the fuel.

These are just some things I think I understand a little. I am not vouching for any product and can only say I think my understanding expressed above are correct.

If anyone likes a different product, tell us what you think the product does that causes you to use it.

tight lines

Registered
I am a Sta-Bil user, just regular old red Sta-Bil, I did use the marine version the very first year I had the new boat only because the dealer provided it with the boat. I put in about 10% more than the recommended dose, fill the tank completely with fuel, put the muffs on and run her until the thermostat opens just prior to storing the boat for the winter. Do the same with all my summer equipment, mowers, tiller, leaf blower, weed eater, etc. So far each spring has been an easy start.
Not to hijack your thread Tom but I wonder how many leave battery maintainers hooked to their boat batteries and plugged in all winter?

Registered
Justin from Utah
My mechanic preaches that marine sta-bil be used in winter most definitely and it doesn't hurt during the year of you run your boat a lot. So I listen to him and do what I'm told. So I agree with with you Tom 100% on the matter.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just added it to my 10hp engine on my small boat. I put in fresh gas and the Stabil. I will be using the boat in the next couple of days which will circulate it thru the engine. Still have the big boat to do.

Jay, don't worry about changing the subject. Batteries are an important topic also. I have charger that will maintain the battery thru winter but the last couple of years I haven't used them. I have an alert once a month come up on my computers and charge the batteries with a slow charger over night. The important thing is to keep them charges during the off season.

Thanks for the replies.

Registered
Dave from ohio
I got sick and tired of cleaning carbs years ago, and learned my lesson. I now either use stabil, or run all the gas out of every thing I own in the late fall. It seems the ethanol in gas has really reeked havoc on every thing. I used to use sea foam on my boat regularly, but my mechanic said I was wasting money, so I stopped that.

Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
Put in stabil, pull boat to gas station and fill it. Then run on muffs awhile. Before coming off muffs unhook line to motor and let it run outa gas.

As for water. Got another filter inline to motor. Designed to catch the water. This is for gas. Carry a spare filter in boat. On diesel semis many of us run what we called a water filter. Drain it once in awhile. Also first one you changed when looking at minus 20 temps.

Registered
Aaron from Indiana
I add marine Stabil to the Tracker. I鈥檓 fortunate to have 2 gas stations in town that sell ethanol free gas and that鈥檚 all I run in the boat and my small engine equipment. Tracker engine is efi so no carb to clean. On the small engine equipment (weedeaters, chainsaws, push mower,etc) I run them completely out of gas at the end of the season. I keep the batteries plugged in through the winter.

Registered
We duck hunt and fish with my PolarKraft and Suzuki 150 4 stroke. My brother's buddy runs a boat/small engine motor shop and turned me onto a product called Enzyme(sp). It is in a blueish colored bottle. HATES SEA-FOAM!!! He said the guys who use-d it eventually came in with fuel related issues.
Come to find out the filters were choked up with what looked like black pepper. Looked closer and found it was the fuel lines breaking down. Went to Sta-bil Marine. Eliminated that issue. Started using Enzyme when it came out, zero issues since.
And as other here have said, 91% with no ethanol is what l run in all my small engines all year and boat towards end of year and for sure during cold weather. All my 5gal fuel cans get qrtr bottle of blue bottle all summer. Harley gets last tank of 91% with half bottle and rode home to circulate in the system. Have been using for 5yrs and have yet to take to shop for issues.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know that several folks do run their engines dry for the winter and then others just use an additive and circulate it thru the engine. Some do both. I am not a mechanic nor have the cash or contacts to really do a study to find out what is best. I have heard of seals drying out and have seen some seals having damage because of drying out. But not enough to say which is best.

We al know that we don't want the fuel in the motor to gum up the works. Each individual will have to decide what they think is best.

good luck

Registered
I use carb and injector cleaner in my boat. I have a single 15 gal tank plastic and before I had 2 6gal metal tanks. The metal ones were bad there was always a fine rust in them and I was always cleaning the carbs on my 60hp Evinrude. So I needed something to help clean the carbs after I changed the tank I still added the carb and injector cleaner. I saw a video of a cleaner for 20 gal of gas mixed into 1 gal of gas with oil added. Then run that till it all has run out you will see a lot of blank crud drip out afterwards. So I just run it to help keep the engine clean all year long. My engine is a 1982 and still has 160 and 165psi so I am doing something right. And I have to mix the oil into the gas tank too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts