Ft. Loudon

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Knoxcats, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    August was excellent on Ft. Loudon. Cats were plentiful and cooperative. Threadfin shad are schooling and easy to get with a cast net. Fish have hit nightcrawlers about as well as shad.

Probably caught 30 cats total, topped off by a 25 pound blue and a 21 pound flathead.

Looking forward to the my first fall with the Carolina Skiff. Now if we can just afford to put gas in the tank. LOL

2. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    sounds like you have had a great summer fishin this year .....this has been a beautiful weekend for fishing but i just let the thoughts of all the holiday/weekend watercraft traffic keep me away from the water .....i just may have to say phooey on it and wait till late tonight and go put in on ft loudoun .....sometimes a feller gets that itch to go fishing and there isn't ,but one thing to stop it ......scratch it !....lol......i haven't done any real wintertime fishing yet ,but im looking foward to this winter ,and trying for that lil blue piggy of a cat that will go wee wee wee ,all the way home :) ...lol

3. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    well it figures ....had a fishin trip for this upcoming weekend all worked up with a few buds from work and i had to get the ole bug that has been going around ....lol....guess i will just have to take me a comfy chair in the boat to kick back in and nap .....lol.....i got me a new abu garcia 6000 baitcaster combo and haven't gotten to break it in right yet ...lol......first time i took it out ,i had something sneaking off with the line ,,running the bait clicker slowly but no hook ups ....i probably was in a mess of lil fiddlers at the time ...even added me 8 count em ...8 .....2inch x 11 pvc rod holders in the boat this past weekend.....lol....so i gotta get out there and give er a whirl this weekend......i been hearin dem catfish hollerin at me all week .(boogie,boogie,boogie...)......lol....btw ...in case ya'all wonderin how a catfisherman got the name boogie ...... :eek: im an ole bluegrass flatpicker by trade ,and use to play old boogie woogie tunes for my nieces and nephews when they were lil to keep em outta trouble and give em sumpin to occupy thier time .....well it just kinda stuck from there ....they started calling uncle boogie .....lol. :eek: ..hope everyone out there has a great weekend with a live well full of catfish :)

4. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Thought I'd try my hand at jug fishing. Never had done it before, so I went out Tuesday night to Walmart and bought 3 of those long hollow floats ("noodles" they call them...clearance priced at $1.00 each!) that they use in a swimming pool. I cut them into 13" sections, ran 30 ft. of green cord thru the center, and secured it with a large washer stuffed down inside the foam.

On the business end, I attached a 4/0 kahle hook, and baited with cut bluegill. It was a lot of fun! Went out Wednesday. I put them out just below Concord Park and let them drift down to Turkey Creek. Kept me busy pulling blue cats off of them. They would stand straight up when they had a fish on them.

One "jug" the line came out and all I had was a float. Another "jug" was never to be found. I suspect someone saw it bobbing and pulled the fish up and decided to keep it. I guess it is possible that a big cat kept it submerged, but I doubt it.

Caught 7 fish in a few hours time. Usually two out of six jugs had fish on them. All were in the 8 to 12 pound range. If only you could eat them out of Ft. Loudon!

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i eat them out of fort loudon and watts bar. course i have so much wrong with my health i wouldn't even notice something new.
    i use the noodles exclusively now. i put a 1/2 inch pvc pipe through the middle with a washer and cap on one end and a cap on the other. glue the caps on with pvc glue and tie my line oposite from the washer.
    as for the one you lost a 40 pound cat can take a 13 inch jug under and swim several hundred yards with it out of sight. i use 24 and 30 inch noodles. i have seen the 24's stay under completely out of sight for 10 minutes. sure is a rush when they pop back up after that long.

6. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    that sounds awsome ....i gotta try out those noodles ...i havnt done any jug or noodle fishin as of yet .....i eat cats outta loudon too ...i usually like to keep em around 1 to 2 pound range just because i like to deep fry em up whole rather than fillets ......but i will fillet a bigun :)...loudon is one of the few lakes that twra doesnt totally discourage eating the catfish out of ...and i dont know if anyone remembers the artical that was in the papers last year ....maybe a lil longer ago....but the e.p.a did thier own independant water tests and studys and found the water to be much better qaulity than everyone has been led to believe by twra...i would of missed that ,but my fishin partner caught it in the papers and saved it to show me ....but to each his own...what ever a feller feels right with i say :)....personally ...i didnt get my big ole tummy by watchin dem kitty's swim by ....lol :D .....most of the time i return em to the water though....it's either too late in the day,im too tired ...or i am just plain to lazy to clean em at times ....lol :eek: ....but i bet that noodle thing would be the cats meow to put out one or 2 and watch while fishing the ole rod'n' reel...i gots to try that this weekend .....thanks for the info guys...one more ? .....how do you guys usually rig your weights on those ? and roughly how long a line to start with ?

7. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I didn't use any weights at all. That green cord when wet is heavy enough to sink. Was not a problem.

Nothing like the excitement of a big kitty on a rod & reel, but jug chasing is quite fun. Walmart had a close out for $1.00 per noodle, but they were all blue, green, or purple. Need red, orange, or yellow so they show up better.

8. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Interesting observations from the jug fishing...

1. All of my jugs were 30' lines...except for the one that I ran out of line when I was making it.

2. The water in the area I was fishing ranged from 25 to 65 feet....Easily averaging 40+ feet.

3. These were all good-sized cats...and I suspect I had one very good one that I won't ever see.

4. No weights were used on the lines.

The next time I drift that area with rods and reels....I think I will peel off 30 ft of line, bait up, and stick them in the driftmasters.

This was also the first time I had ever used cut bluegill for bait. Very effective and readily available. I like that.

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i use a 2 ounce weight on the end of the line but only because i am to lazy to go in under the bushes and banks to retrieve the jugs. i put my hooks on a 12 or so inch drop with a trotline clip so i can move it up or down the main line. i have 2 sets of jugs one set with 40 foot main line the other with 6 foot for the flats. i put my hooks from 1 to 3 feet deep. i have tried several depths and found the shallower the better. i do most of my fishing overnight. i put my jugs out at dusk and go home. next morning at daybreak i am back to pick them up. i am sure if i drifted with them during the day in hot weather i would have to learn how to fish them. course during the early spring all you need is to get the jugs in the water day or night. nothing beats fresh skipjack for bait.

10. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    thanks for the info guys ... :) i think that i will give that a try this weekend....maybe drop one or two out and let em drift around while i fish the rod and reels.....i'll have to try me some of those cut blugills also .....gonna bring some skipjack chunks and heads that i had vacummed sealed in the freezer also .........gotta try out my new rod holders and see if they are gonna hold up or break off ....lol

11. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    woooo hooo ......i got to go fishin today :).....ended up catching 4 decent blues ...i was happy after the first one ,since i hadn't got to go fishin for a while.......... :p ...got a 2 pounder a 3 pounder ..a 5# 10oz and a 10 # 13oz...sure felt great to get out and get the ole hook wet :).....the bite was on but my buddy was feelin sickley so we headed on back to the ramp :sad: i was happy with what we caught ......i forgot my cooler/livewell ....so those lil piggy's got to go wee wee wee all the way back home ....lol

12. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    The past week at work has been :cursing: terrible. I'm ready to go fishing tomorrow morning bright and early.

Catfish warnings are hereby issued for an area +/- 5 miles of TN river mile 617. All catfish, particularily blue and flathead species, should be on the look out for a white Carolina Skiff 16DLX with a TN registration number of TN 2458 DL.

Does it sound like I need a break? LOL If anyone is out tomorrow...give me a yell.

13. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    well i wish ya the best of luck friend :) .....seems like the bite is on pretty good this week.....i finally got to go sunday and nailed a 2#,3# 5# 10 oz and a 10# 13 oz all were pretty blue's ....went today after work and got a couple of 3pounders and my buddy got a 8 pounder ...caught em all on the halfway point between louisville point and the pellisippi bridge :) and all were caught on skipjack fillet's.........happy hunting :)

14. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    sure seemed like the bite was on good for us while the current was running good ...but when the current had slowed up ,,,seemed like the bite dropped off http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm hope ya,all can get some use outta this link ,,.....just thought i would toss it up ...i found it pretty interesting for the water releases and stuff

fish on !!!!!

15. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i went to walmart in oak ridge last night and they had thier pool noodles marked down to 4/1.00. never mind looking there for orange they are all in my garage but other stores may have them. i have a few jugs needing replacements now and all are getting kinda old.

16. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    One of several today...

Attached Files:

17. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    nice catch ..........looks like ya had a pretty good days fishin :)

18. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    not any monsters,but me and my buddy did pretty well this week ...managed to get a couple of snapshots in before the batteries went down in the camera....caught several blue's while the water was flowing good ...but as soon as it slowed down ...so did the fishin ....lol

Attached Files:

19. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Super lookings cats guys! I have a feeling it's going to get really good out there early this fall and the cats will run lots bigger than they did last year.

I use flagging jugs and I love 'em. They're noodles that stay tipped when you have a cat on but the floatation principle is the very same as using a plain noodle for a jug. I can carry way more of the noodle jugs in one spot than I ever could using my old vinegar or bleach jugs.

Steve

20. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    10-4 on fishin this fall...i have high hope's of getting to do a lot of fall/winter fishing this year .....been having problems with my lil boat ...the 18 evinrude just doesn't wanna plane out ..but it still runs good ....dropping it off next week to hopefully have that problem fixed ....that way i can cover lots more water this fall :)...i want a couple of cats like my fishin partner got in the cat tourney we fished a month ago :)....he caught the rascal ...but it took the 2 of us to get it in the boat ....thats what i wanna get this fall ...one like that or bigger :glare:

Attached Files: