Ft.Loudon yesterday

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ut1trey, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Went bank fishing yesterday on Ft. Loudon. I was using cut shad and live blue gill for bait. I caught a 6lb large mouth (my personal best) on the cut shad. I also had a monster hit the cut shad. Whatever it was it had it in his mouth for around 15 seconds or so and it was the biggest freshwater fish I've ever felt. Unfortunately since I was fishing with circle hooks I was trying to let it hook itself and he spit it out. Never again will I not set the hook. The live blue gill was fished with a 3 way rig on the bottom and I caught a 2.5lb small mouth. The booger hung me up under a big rock. He jumped out of the water and I knew he was a bass. I tried forever to get him out and I ended up swimming out about 20 yards and getting him. Man that water was cold! I don't catch enough bass not to have landed him. Also caught a very small channel while trying to catch bluegill for bait. No decent cats yesterday but a very rewarding day. Attached is a pic of the large mouth.

Attached Files:

2. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Nice size bucket mouth those circle hooks sometimes you get good hookups and other days the just don't hook up so good.Me personally I only use them when I'm fishing heavy cover so you don't get hung up as much.They gut hook fish also, me I'm a wide bend J hook kind of guy.Better luck next time on your hook ups, it happens to all of us at times . As a friend of mine would say thats why its called fishing not catching.:tounge_out:

3. festus

festus New Member

That was a great day, Trey. I'm sure glad to hear there's someone else on here fishing close to home. Did you see anyone else catch any catfish or stripers? No doubt, there are some monsters in there. Were you anywhere near the dam?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  4. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    I was pretty far from the Dam, Festus. I fished around Carl Cowan Park. I caught the one on my avatar last Sunday at Louisville Point Park fishing with the kids. He was caught on cut shad. I've been fishing with this older guy that I befriended at the docks fishing one day back during the summer. He's retired and fishes all the time. He's caught multiple 50 pounders and his biggest was a 75 pound blue. Most of his were and are caught around that stretch of water. I've been fishing with him 6 or 7 times now. He swears that he will put me on a monster one day. I really enjoy fishing with him and picking his brain. I can learn more in day from him, then I would learn on my own in a lifetime. Guys like him are jewels. I will try the J hooks, Pond. Thanks for the tip.

5. festus

festus New Member

OK Trey, I looked in my map book and both Carl Cowan and Louisville Point should both be fish holding areas judging by the underwater contour lines. I haven't fished Ft. Loudoun this year except below the dam twice, which is technically the headwaters of Watts Bar Lake. I might see you at Melton Hill Dam sometime.

6. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Festus-what did you fish for below F. Loudon dam and how's the fishing there?

7. festus

festus New Member

The first time I went to Ft. Loudoun Dam was back in spring, and I fished for just about anything that would hit. I threw cut bait and nightcrawlers on the bottom, and fished with tandem small jigs/grubs, and also big swimbaits and bucktails. Nothing was going on that day, and I didn't see anybody else doing any good, on the shore or in boats. I'd first been to MH Dam first, nothing was going on there, either. As a matter of fact, I ran into many of the same crowd I'd been seeing at MH Dam, they were just standing around the overlook shooting the breeze and complaining how bad the fishing had been.

The second time I went was a couple months ago when, believe it or not, a friend wanted to fish for carp on the lockside. He wanted me to make him some doughballs. I made them from strawberry jello, flour, sugar, cormeal, etc. First time I'd fished for carp since I was a kid. We caught a few right under 10 pounds on the doughballs, along with some puny catfish and stripe on nightcrawlers. We also fished large live shiners, but had no luck on them.

Fishing is tough from the bank at Ft. Loudoun Dam. I don't mean necessarily unproductive, it's just tough getting into the good spots. That's why I like MH better.

8. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    trey I would rather fish with the old guys any day, they are rare jems that most people never see. Thanks for sharing your story.:0a23:

9. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, many of these older fishermen, especially those 80+ years old, can tell you what a reservoir is really like because they were born before the dams were built. I ran into one such gentleman last week, and he was telling me about one of my favorite spots used to be a cornfield. I had no idea, it's a great spot not all that deep, but plenty of cover, rip rap, and a culvert nearby with current that draws baitfish.

10. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

Congrats on the PB large mouth, that is a nce fish. Rep's.

11. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    hay trey congrats on your pb bass thats a nice one! and its just my opnion but i dont like those circle hooks i have had the same thing happen to me with them the only hooks i put on now are owner 10/0 and i havent lost one yet for that reason thay are pricy but hand down some of the shapest hooks on the market. try them out u will never go back. good fishing man

12. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Thanks for the tip big1, I will try them out if I can find them. I have not heard of that brand, where do I get them and how much? Thanks

13. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    iam in az but u might be able to get them at bass pro if u have one thay are about $13 for three but u might be able to get them cheaper online

14. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    even if u have to get them online do it. and i know that iam in a diffent state but all i use for bait is gills and carp and i have found for some reason i get better hookup when i hook them throu the eyes rather than the dorsil fin. i would like to fish tenn for a week i have been throu there but never had time to fish

15. Ricky Dills

Ricky Dills New Member

State:
    Corryton, Tenne
    Were did you fish at was around concord area ?

16. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    I caught in the flats around the silo across from Admiral Farragut Park.