Ft Gibson

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Koon, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Anyone have any tips where to start looking this time of year on ft gibson... i'm not fimilar with this lake.

2. CatfishMOJO

CatfishMOJO New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS LAKE!

3. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Anyone fishing this lake?

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I have fished it on the north end by Mazie Landing with fair results. I went down by the dam once.......no luck.

5. FishOnChuck

FishOnChuck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fish Ft. Gibson quiite a bit. In fact, a buddy and I fished there today and caught a pretty good mess of blues. No big fish, but a good mess of eaters and fish in the 5 to 8 lb range. Shad have been elusive, but found them today in the channel in open water between Taylor Ferry North and Hickory Creek (across lake from Taylor Ferry North). This time of year, many of the blues run up the river. From Rocky Point and all the way to Choteau Bend is a good stretch to fish, though later in the spring there is a lot of traffic from white bass fishermen and paddlefish snaggers in this area. If you don't mind the crowd, this stretch is usually good fishing, depending upon weather and river flows. A heavy fog set in on the lake this morning shortly after daylight and visibility was nil for awhile. Made things pretty interesting . . .

6. Brock

Brock New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You might want to try back around in Jackson bay where the creek hits the lake during the day. There is a straight stretch of the old submerged channel running from the mouth of the creek that the Blues will hang out on suspended during the day if they are in the Jackson bay area of the lake at all. If you have a breeze blowing from west to east, you can pitch out your jugs near the mouth of the creek over the channel and just drift along with them and watch 'em start bouncing up and down when an old Blue grabs your shad.

Just over where the sail boaters keep their boats there is an Island (west side of Jackson). Stringing your jugs across the mouth of the cove from the island to the north bank at night can be very productive when the Blues move in from the channel to feed on the shad in the cove area there behind the island.

Another place down lake to try is due west of the lodge about 20 to 40 yards out off the bank, lake side not on the Ranger creek side. Use your depth finder and often you can find the Blues suspended along that bank. I have always done well with large minnows suspended under a cork at 7 - 10 foot depth or so when fishing over there. Jugs with fresh shad do well there too when they are there. Good luck!

7. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info... this should get me started scouting this weekend. Just need to finish up my rebuild by the weekend and finally get back on the water!