Ft. Gibson Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Larry Collier, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    They finally pulled the drain plug and the water has fallen from 24' to only 19 ' high now!

If bank fishing you could find fish just about anywhere (nothing big but they would stink up a skillet) but with the lake falling it's getting difficult to find someplace you don't need hip boots.

The bluff areas of Snug Harbor and Rocky Point produced several nice keeper size cats and Taylors Ferry North was okay for sandbass fishing. Under the Hwy 51 bridge on the Cherokee County side was another decent spot for sandbass.

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Thanks for the report, Larry.

I'm still waiting for the river to go down here at Gore.... There's more water here than the Red Sea!

Go catch a bunch!

3. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Just talked to my brother about lake levels and he tells me Gibson is supposed to be down to about 12' above normal the first weekend in August. Basically they are dropping the level about a foot per day.
    L&D 17 is still running lots of water, over 20k cfs daily. This past week the gates were wide open at over 40k cfs at times.

I'm headed below the dam on Gibson in the park tomorrow to catch a few sandbass.

4. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Water level is about 7' high now and dropping around 6" or so daily. Some of the ramps with steep approach grades are now usable without wading in knee deep water in the parking lots!
    Fishing is fair to middling depending on what your after. For the most part fishing the submerged creek banks or other deep water structure is recommended.
    Night fishing is the ticket. Lights seem to help after a couple hours because the bait fish are so scattered.

5. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    The water level of the North Canadian around Wetumka is receding and starting to be managable. Hopefully there wont be anymore downpours and we can all get back to doing what we love so much. Tight lines keeps the heart beating.