ft. gibson lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Steven Armstrong, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    anyone catching any blues on ft. gibson lake this week?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Its been real slow. Be another week or so, weather needs to change.

3. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I went Saturday caught 11 Blues and Channels nothing of any size. biggest was about 5lbs. I was going to fish the tournament but I have some clients that want to go Saturday. I will take the guaranteed money over the tournament. Maybe I will catch the next one.

4. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    what part of the lake were you fishing? how does wind affect ft. gibson lake?

5. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    We fished accross from Whitehorn Cove Marina. There is some trees just down the lake at the mouth of the two coves one has Hare Branch and Wooded Hallow creeks and the other has Jane Dennis Creek (I think they commonly call these White Horn creeks). The one further south has some trees over the water and you can anchor in between the trees and the deeper drop off of about 20-25 foot and fish shallow water under trees and deeper in the channel we caught about 4 real quick and then pulled anchor to find bigger ones.

Ended up not getting much action in deeper water even tried to drift awhile that yielded nothing. Anchored up near the trees in between the island and shore just north west of the the marina and across the lake caught 7 in about an hour. Same thing anchor up in between the drop off and tree and you can fish 15 foot deep and upto about a foot deep. Look for the Water Turkeys (Commorants, the black birds, theirs about a million of them on this lake) and fish under the trees they are roostin in.

I don't know how the wind affects it this was my first trip there and the wind was only about 10mph at the most.

Good luck in the tournament.

6. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Had a hard time finding shad on this lake. But we did find a big school near the hot spot map #22
    N lattitude 35degree 58.86' W Longitude 95degree 15.18'

There again the birds were swimming on top of the school and they were the good 6 inchers.