frying pumpkin blossoms

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Aug 2, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok ive had very little response on this topic. seems not many or the ones that do arnt talking.:roll_eyes:

this id how grandma taught me to fry these golden flowers up into the next best thing aside from morel mushrooms.

if ya havent had them spend the $25 per lb and try them.:wink:

or just hunt them down,lol. free.

these are the next best thing IMO to a mushroom.

the blossoms need to be picked early am. and yes. simply plant any pumpkin vine seed like you were looking for fall jack-o-lanterns. except i cut mine down soon as these flowers stop producing. im ony looking for these flowers.

these need to be picked early am. as the morning dew. they tend to open an hr before light and wilt before 11-12am. they need picked early morning.

word of wise to new cooks. these will often be full of honey bees even before the sun arises. pic and shake out the bees. the polen on the blossom is like necter to the bees. and sometimes ants. thats why i wash in a salt water solution in fridge for a few hrs over night prior to cooking.

they can be opened. by popping off the bottom of the flower. or fried with the bloom attached. wich i now do.

first pic is the flowers on vine prior to wilting.

second pic is two ways to fry. open without polen middle. or whole with stem base. like i fry.

third. the breading simple. yet effective.

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never tried em, do you use flour on them, or what kind of breading?
    I have never grown punkins........

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    simply take white flour. mix a cup full with a hand full 12-15 saltine crackers. crush finly with hands grinding into crumbs over flour. mix by hand. take the blossom whole or opened from salt water and shake. flop it over and over a couple times per side in egg beaten on a plate. then place in flour and cracker mix and coat both sides. place in hot oil or butter.

dont deep fry. just a flat griddle with a drizzle of lard ,butter, or il will do.

first is egg second is breading third. cooked and flipped after 3-4 min.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    after 2-4 min each side and lightly golden brown simply remove to a plate with some paper towels to soak excess oil off. shake a shake or two of salt over them to taste and enjoy.

nutritional value?????????????? who cares. they taste darn good. and i personally have waited year after year for fresh ones for over 30 years.

and these only last 2-3 days in water in fridge. they begin to fall apart.

so i usually give out dozens to friends and family. to freeze. simply eggs and flour and place on wax or freezor paper and freeze on a flat cookie sheet in layers. or i simply lightly fry and freeze in layers on wax paper. then bag in 6-8 in a freezor bag and fry again in winter months.

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    will have to give them a try thanks

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i for one am glad you found the b.o.c. boomer. you chuck out dozens of recipies. i love that. wish you would have been around for the texas seasoning days. cant mention by name i guess. man we had BBQ contests (i won 2 of 3 and 2nd in third) lol. those were some good times. and thread after thread of smoking BBQ's seafood ect.......

keep them recipies coming brother.:wink:

just fried these at the time of the posts. 1 am lol. needed to get them fried and froze. must have 5 dozen froze for winter. now if i can catch some darn catfish,lol. without the boat im not doing so well. other than 200+ bluegills.:smile2: and a couple catfish. glad i have a few bags from 07.:embarassed:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just this minute picked 55 more. the dawn is apon me.:cool2:

8. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    had them years ago when my grandmother would make them,she passed away a while back never did get the recipie guess i'll get my wife to make them, yeah right lol they were real tasty thanks for the info

9. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    thank you c4,I'll have to try some.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ha ! funny. maybe we should nickname him rUc4 or sumthin like that........(just messin with you Jeremy),,,,,

11. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks Jeremy, I have never done this but after seeing the pics you posted I am sure gonna give it a try. They sure do look good and if they are second to Morels they gotta be GREAT!

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I remember Mom having me pick them in the morning before I left for school (Southern Indiana) and we would have them for supper that night.. They are fantastic eating...Thanks for the memories !!!

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Thanks Jeremy for putting this up. Been years since I had any. For those that have never tried them, Do it. They are great.

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    R2-C4!!! :smile2::smile2:

We used to eat zucchini blossoms. Does that count? Is there a difference? From what I remember, I liked them alright. I just don't grow or eat squash anymore.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well if I ever get a place with a yard. Thanks gotta try them sometime.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok new avatar tonight lol.

zuchinni blossums are same. i cant tell difference and i grow them too. anyone need some. got about 10 sitting on the table. and a truckload of cucumbers.

17. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I call him c4 because he has a firey temper.LOL
    and it looks like he likes star wars,,
    so as long as he don't blowup on us I like it,:wink::smile2:

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jerm they look delicious and if they are like mushrooms i'm certain they are. One major problem, i ain't got no punkins.:angry:

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I HAVE heard of eating squash blossoms Jeremy; yellow squash blossoms! :big_smile:

So I would assume if zucchini blossoms are the same, then they are too? (Saw some on my neighbor's plant(s) this morning, she planted a couple yellow squashes in her flower bed on the hill next to my woods :smile2:. Aww, that wouldn't be nice though, me stealin' her flowers in the early AM. Then her husband will be correct about her stupidity in planting them there (and I'll tell ya what, they're doing VERY well from what I can see :wink:)!

Goin' to check out the new avatar now, I got distracted. Somebody was talkin' about FOOD.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good thing about pumpkin vines. you dont need a garden. they can be planted on a sunny side of house or garage, or in a flowerbed or one women here in town plants them out by the barbage cans.:crazy::smile2:

just pop in a couple seed and water till there starting to vine (in a couple weeks usually) and then just pick them flowers as the morning coffee brews.:wink: