FRUSTRATION... (Catfishing Dilemmas)

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by readingcatfisher, Jun 5, 2009.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I came out of the gates great!!!I got my 2 first ever flats at 5# each 2 weeks later I land the biggest catfish I've ever laid eyes on.Then everything seemed to slow way down for me not even a channel cat would hit for me,except the occasional here and there stray.I guess I should move around and try out some new areas like everyone else is doing seems to be working for them Lenny grabbed his new Pb at a new area maybe I should start looking for new water to fish.I'm just tired of skunkings and little fish.I want another big flat 25+ -30+ and I don't think I'm going to get that where I've been going.Any advice from you more experienced flat guys would be greatly appreciated.I do have a few areas already picked out to look at and have been to a few other spots that are known but don't want to go there because I feel they are not my spots to fish unless I am with that person,so you see I have a dilemma on my hands I want to catch fish but basically all the spots are taken and also I don't know my way around all that well down that way and don't want my truck gettin broken into.

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's a word that you have probably seen used quite often on here.

Patience

It's been kinda strange everywhere this year. Hang in there, we're do for a change. Stay safe

3. mudcat55

mudcat55 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    find ya a hole with an eddy full of wood drop a bait and stay there youll get bit ive sat on a hole for 12 hours waitin on a single bite

4. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    The other night seemed to be the breaker in this bad luck but I still gotta get out and scout some different areas for a change of pace

5. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    Thumbs up for not fishing your boys spots without them.....If your not getting the results your looking for change it up, i guess your hitting it from the bank......some of the best structure around is not visible from the surface....and it comes in many forms, my most productive pieces are flats that lie up against deeper water....the flat itself is THE structure and 90% of my fish over 20# come out of 3-4' of water....as long as its close to deep water. If your fishing the same old baits change it up....toss em a curve ball man, weather its downsizing the bait or using a different bait...or fishing the same old bait differently...when the bite gets tough i downsize....not only my baits but leaders and hooks as well....hell that 29.5 lber i got with north port troller a few weeks ago was on a little ole # 2 hook with a few big split shot....guess what the heavier gear pretty much went un noticed all night but that light outfit accounted for probably close to a dozen bites. Its not always about where your doing it but how:wink:...good luck man and keep at it.

6. Well put Shawn.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Jim,unless your absolutely sure an area holds big cats from previous experience,I,d try switching around.Like Shawn said I,d try mixing up my baits,time of day,depth.I don,t know about others on here,I can only speak for myself,but if I turn you onto a spot,I wouldn,t have any problem with when you fished it.Your not hauling them away.Just make a little room for me if I show up,that,s all anyone can ask.If someone showed you the spot in the first place,they must trust you with it already.I,d rather show up and share my spot with a couteous BOC brother,than show up and have to share it with God knows who!If your on public land with any kind of accesss,someones gonna be fishing with you sooner than later.If you ever get down Pittsburgh way,I,d be more than happy to show you a few of mine.:big_smile:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

WELCOME to the BOC Broc1

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    scouting and putin time in on new spots to see how they pan out is the best advise, i showed ya 3 other areas ta fish so you can fish them, your not steppin on my toes what so ever or i wouldn't have shown ya them, after all i'm sure hundreds of other people know those areas so its far from any "secret spot", just gotta get out there and give them a shot:wink:, now where i caught that 35#'er :0a19: :smile2:

10. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I would never expect that Lenny unless you totally felt comfortable telling me about it ,but like I said I feel weird even going to the other spots you showed me without you,unless you wanna duct tape quarters over my eyes and put a black bag over my head:smile2:

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

For me,the idea of any club or in this case Brotherhood is to look out for and help one another.I wouldn,t ask anyone for their number 1 spot,but if someones just starting out or not from the area,it,s always a pleasure to give them a few spots to get started in.My thinking is,this helps both of us.If your fishing a spot I told you about or vice-versa,and we,re both keeping in touch with each other,then we will be learning twice as much about that spot twice as fast.The other person is helping me as much as I,m helping him.Unless you,re fishing in the dead of night with no light,people are gonna notice when your catching good fish.I,d rather rely on the feedback and advice I get off here than from someone I don,t know.If I,m asking on here,somebodies gonna tell me they,re only getting 5-10 lbers from a particular stretch.If I go down to the river and ask a lot of the guys around there,they,ve got those same fish exaggerated into monsters.If your willing to help somebody else,then there,s no shame in accepting help when needed.I try to keep a friendly attitude with people where ever I fish,I,ve got turned onto some really good catfishing spots by guys who weren,t into cats but were catching them incidentally.To me sharing the knowledge is one of the most important tools we can use as fishermen.:eek:oooh:

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    If you can get yourself a boat, you don't have to worry about being in someones spot! :wink: Otherwise I would suggest finding new spots, there has to be lots of riverbank out that way!

13. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    You just gotta keep at it and put in the time till you get back into them. If everybody caught big flats every trip there would be a hell of a lot more people doing it. Why do you think that so few people do this flathead thing??? It sucks when you go out and bust your ass catching bait and keeping it lively till you get to the river just to get skunked, but its a right of passage into this thing. Consider it trial by fire for you now to see if you truly have what it takes to fish for quality flatheads or not. Jim, you have been very lucky with your limited time spent flatheading, so think of yourself as lucky to be where your at with the little time invested. You have had good guides show you good spots and good fish without regard to how much time and effort was put into getting those spots. Most of the guys around here including myself started flatheading BEFORE they knew about the BOC. Every one of those guys put in the time and got kicked in the nuts MANY a night by Mother River before she finally gave up some good fish. Nearly everyone on here that started before they were on here could tell ya stories of how long it took. They had to find there own spots through trial and error. Baits, equipment, tactics...everything that is needed was learned by ourselves. Then just when you think you might be on to something the spawn kicks in and you think you might just walk to the bridge and JUMP or hold your head down in the bait bucket. You start to think crazy thoughts about how to get on fish and your family and friends want to institutionalize you for a month. Thats what great about this site, we can talk about all the little things that go into this sport without people thinking were crazy and giving us weird looks, try that with a bass guy.......or your family. But then its over and you get back into them. Its the most frustrating AND exhilirating sport out there, fishing for the biggest of PA's fish. One second your ready to quit and the next your clicker is going and you never want to leave the water again. All you can do is trudge on and keep going, keep jumping around till you find spots that produce. You have to give each spot at least a couple honest tries and then you can consider them junk. You have to decide whether you want to keep doing it or go back to fishing for channels. Youve caught fish over 20# already, which takes many people a lot longer time to accomplish.

Im not tryin to sound like an ass0 Jim but you just gotta pick yourself up when she kicks ya and keep at it. Thats the only way you can become good. Everybody here hits funks, just snap out of it and hit the water. You got all night to cuss out the river for how unfair she is.

14. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    You are right Justin I have been very fortunate to have been pointed in the right direction by some very good guys,and also to have caught a 27# fish my 3rd time out is very lucky I think I remember Tan saying it took him 2 years until he got into a flathead.I think I'm doing things wrong or something else.I now found a new bait spot with different baits so I can change that that up a little bit here and there.I will not give up,I will try every spot I can get to in the area where I fish until I find something I like.Just hopin I hit something good before the spawn:wink:

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

I,ve said it before,but I,ll repeat it again.IMO,The BOC bumps a new flatters learning curve up by at LEAST 2 to 3 years,IF not more!Don,t matter how long you been cattin,gonnna hit a dry spell every now and then.They suck,but when you do get back into them,it makes you really appreciate it.:wink:

16. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I agree Pat, if you were to do it by yourself with no help with locations or tactics it would be at LEAST 2 years. I learned more in about 3 hours of poking around in here than in the time I fished DIY for flats before I joined.

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    heck, i didn't even know flatheads were around my river system until i was told about this site last year:eek:oooh:, the area i fish for flats iv'e been fishin for 20 years with chicken liver and never even seen a single flathead, after reading on this site about equipment to use and baits and what structure to target i went back to my old fishin holes in sept. and tossed a sunny and the first nite caught a 23# and several smaller flatty's and a week later a 25#'er, the info on this site changed my whole fishing tactics, i'm fine tuning and learning new things everyday from this site.:wink: before this site my pb catty was a 30 inch channel, now its over 35#, what a difference a year makes

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Amen, brother!

The BOC is cool!

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jim,

It's not called frustration, it's called Flathead Catfishing.
    1. You will not catch big fish everyday!
    2. Getting skunked is the norm.
    3. Flathead seasonal migration patterns says that just because you caught them in one spot, doesn't mean they will be there all year.

The worst case scenario as a catfisherman is living the states like NY, MASS, CONN, NH, Maine, and Vermont where you will be lucky to catch channels and most cats you catch will be bullheads!:wink::eek:oooh:

Don't take for granted of our bank fisherman-friendly river full of mean flatheads

So now you or both of us have 2 options, give up and sit at home, or keep trying until you get er done!:smile2::wink:

20. That's right Tan. The more Flat-less nights you suffer, the greater the reward when you start nailing them again.