Frustrated - Rend or Carlyle Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by riverrat85, May 31, 2007.

1. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    hi everyone I am kinda new here and dont know too many people but i seem to have a problem. I am OBSCESSED with flatheads! I am 21 years old and i have been trying now for the last 8 years for a flathead. I have good enough equipment to tackle a good sizer i have tried all kinds of bait with no success. I usually use live bluegill. Channels/blues no problem but when it comes to a flathead its always watching everyone around me catch em except me. i am willing to pay anyone on here if they can get me into a flathead or give me some kind of trick or place to catch one. whether it is 1 lb or 20 lbs. i gotta catch one! lol I'm headin to either rend or carlyle this weekend to try it again. Any help is surely appreciated. thanks

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Your day will come. got my first flat head 2 years a go.I have fished the same water for some before. 25# size.:big_smile_2:

3. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    the flat in my pic was caught at the carlyle spillway on 6" of cut shad. there in there. this one i got east side all the way up in the first lock.

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    in the illinois fishing guide rend lake has some of the top flathead fishing in the state.

5. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I were in search of a flathead, I would go to Carlyle, launch at the Tamalco boat ramp, go into the River, and fish the bends with downed trees on them. I have pulled several in the high 20lbs out of there.

I don't fish Rend....too far when Carlyle was so close. I don't live there anymore, but I still know the lake.

Good luck.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Get a map of Rend Lake. On the north eastern side, you will find where the old road used to be is now under water. That old road was concrete and is in about 6-10 ft of water and buckling from time. That buckling has created a great place for flatheads to nest. The old roadbed is only around 50 ft from the bank, if I recall, and runs north to south right alongside the new raised roadway. This time of year, I used to catch as many as 20 in that location.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    are you talkin about highway 37?

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, I think it was 37. My memory aint too good anymore, so bear with me. It seems like it was where the only place that 37 went over the lake. I know I was able to drive the boat under 37. The spot I was referring to, was just before going under the highway, if motoring east from the main part of the lake. It may not have been the northeast side of the lake, but was definitely the east side. If I had a map, I could find it, I think. :roll_eyes:

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    OK, yeah, your talkin about west gun creek branch. thats where my uncle fishes for crappie. he has hooked into several flatheads over there. the old roadbed is on the west side of highway 37 on the east side of the lake. and riverrat, you can park your car there(old 37 is now a parking place before it goes into the water) and fish it from the bank if you dont have a boat. its about 2 miles south of the prison. if you have a boat, drop it in on the west gun creek acces ramp, and go west under the bridge and the old road bed goes along side the newer road just like kutter said. its been under water since 1973 so its undercut plenty. i was at rend lake last night and the spawn is definitley on. i could actually hear and feel the vibrations of the flats building nests on the rocks. it was crazy!

10. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    guys i really appreciate all the help. I wont be able to hit Rend until next weekend though, got lots of work to do. Actually just got a call from dori marine sayin my new boat is ready for pickup so i will have a boat and hopefully make it out next weekend. once again thanks for all the advice. Ill be at rend next weekend then so if anyone wants to join me your welcome to come.

11. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    hey river rat i was thinking about going this evining to rend what do you say them flat are biting on all i have is shad and night crawlers whitch do u think i will get to work and going north what side of the road do i need to be on for the flats if i am fishing off the bank

12. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    im sorry the last post was for big-muddy

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    if your driving north on 37 it would be the left side of the road. as soon as you get over the water there is a parking spot on your left. i use live shad and shad heads. be careful on those rocks! dont trust all the rocks cause they're not all secure. i have had one turn over and its a little scary if your not ready for it. you can see that road bed on your left from the highway, its where there is a line of brush sticking out of the water. youll be in between the highway and interstate. have fun!

14. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    ok i think i know what you are talking about across the street from were it says west gun creek

15. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    and not to sound dumb but were do u get live shad every time i get shad with my throw net the are basicly dead

16. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    you got to get them right away in a livewell or bucket but the trick is to not keep too many. 3 to 4 at the most in a minnow bucket. them babies will stay alive for awhile.

17. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    i went last night and all i caught was a 20-30 pound turtle man that was the biggest turtle i have ever caughti was at west gun creek fishing to the very far left of the bushes up ther in the bushes and thats were i caught that turtle i was using whole shad but the were dead

18. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    were can i put a boat in at close to west gun creek the tell me there is a ramp tere but they have concrete parking things there and i dont think i can launch there all i have is a 2wd 4 banger so if i get stuck im screwed
    my boat has to go in the water far before it releases from the trailer

19. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    this is a question for big muddy...I was down there by the gun creek access today and was wondering if I park on the west side of highway 37 on the old road and walked down the edge of 37 by the gaurd rail and fish there between 37 and all the trees comming up about 25 to 50 yards out in water if that is where you are talking about? Looks like a great spot for fish to be hiding out in. Leave a message on here or PM me to let me know if i am right or not. Thanks and good luck fishing

20. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    lil kat watch it if you go down there i almost broke my neck last night but i didnt put in the water there i forgot the bait in the truck so i went to gun creek