Frustrated and Happy....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN, Aug 12, 2009.

1. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Hit up the Tailrace again for a night session last night.Very nice night on the water.I only had shrimp and herring so I put out the herring on the big rod,(a 6 inch chunk) and fished shrimp on the other rod.Not one nibble on the shrimp,but I have a new personal best Blue of 69lbs.We snapped 2 pics,one on the old scale and one with me holding it pretty.The fish was released healthy to get bigger and I packed it in and came to the house.I get home and upload the pics to find out the cam let me down.Neither of the pics came out at all.Its almost as if the flash didnt work or something.My daughter remembers seeing it flash....go figure.Im very disappointed in the lack of pic and wasnt even gonna post this.By the way,Im calling this fish 69lbs because my father said the scale was off by 5lbs exactly between 50 and 100 lbs.(he used to run the calibration lab at the old missile base here)Problem is I cantt remember if he meant low or high.So,it could have been a 79lber,and I believe it probably was......just not sure.Going to get me a new camera
    soon.Anyway,I know what I caught and my daughter sure does as well,and her getting to see a fish like this is why I do this anyway.Going back for round 2 at this spot thursday night.

2. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Just borrowed 80lbs of weights from the neighbor and we tested the scale.It read almost exactly 75 lbs,so the fish last night was 79lbs no doubt.

I forgot to mention the most important part of the story....the daughter just reminded me.:confused2: The fight...the fish when hooked took off down the canal and easily took 75yds + of my 50lb leader and 20lb Ande line.Then for no reason I can think of the fish stopped.I thought I lost it though the tension was still on the line.Could not budge the fish for atleast 20 or 30 seconds.All of a sudden it begins moving again at a steady pace again taking more of my main line.Again the fish stopped.Afew seconds later the fish begins moving again but this time back in my direction though very slowly.After about 10 or 15 minutes I feel the 50 lb leader arrive on the 9000.This means I have around 60+ yds out.Once I get a few turns on the reel I feel alot better about this and I might get this one in,so I started putting more pressure on the fish.I get him up almost to the landing where Im standing and he peels off maybe 30 or 40 yds of line and back close to the end of the leader.I again put big pressure on him and this time get him in.My daughter is screaming bloody murder when she sees the head come up from the murky water.Im about spent.I believe the fight was around 20 minutes total and I believe this fish was a male though not sure at all.He measured 46 inches tip of head to equal of end of tail.....didnt measure girth,but it was fat.

3. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's a hog for sure. Any chance that camera was digital. I've used some photo editing software that will make the image show up on a picture that was black. If its film, I still wouldn't toss it out someone might be able to brighten it.
    Congrats on the catch, I'm sure neither of you will ever forget it.

4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Trust me Im working on it.I have heard this as well.I have had problems with this camera as it has seen alot of saltwater and sand in the last 3 or 4 years.Its all good as I do this for the kids and my daughter has a story to tell either way.I was satisfied after a few choice words last night that I got a great look at a big fish like it was.Next time I hope to be carrying a new cam,maybe by the weekend.My oldest boy comes down this weekend....I wish I could have caught this fish then,or even better handed him the rod.....

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Keith congrats on the new PB blue. Tha is a nice fish in anyones book. Thanks.

6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Thanks Mickey.I really wish all the kids could have been there.It will be a interesting conversation piece at the dinner table Friday when my oldest boy arrives and get the pleasure of listening to the daughter tell him the story.This fish grows a little more every time she tells it,and it hasnt been 24 hours yet.Pretty soon its gonna be the size of the fabled monster catfish that lurks at the dam the divers are afraid of....:big_smile: I think its grown to about 6ft.....

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congratulations on that BIG blue!! WELL done!

Bill in SC

8. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Good deal on that monster. My wife does all my pics. She is a profesional photographer.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

John

9. fishingfool

fishingfool New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    CONGRATS ON THE BIG BOY/GIRL!!:big_smile:

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats. Great story also.

11. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    LOWCOUNTRY, if you can email the pics I might be able to help you out. I am a Graphic Designer and a Photoshop Junkie.

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Keith, great job. Not only on the catch but on the release. Sorry the camera wasn't working but you had one of the best witness you could have. I treasure the times me and my son fished. He has moved out and don't fish anymore but i have people tell me of the fish stories he has told.
    Your daughter will tell it in many yrs to come:big_smile:

And yea that do get bigger every time its told. I had someone to ask how big was the Tiger Shark that i caught. I looked at them and said " I have told so many stories on that shark that i have forgoten the true weight":smile2:

13. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Congrats on that monster,Great job Keith:big_smile:

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Its all good.Im aiming higher and my avatar will come when it chooses.
    Heck,maybe one of the kids will land a monster and Ill be ready with a camera that actually works.I honestly would love to see my boy get the monster as he is the one that has gotten me back into catfishin with all his incessant talk about it over the last few months before I found you guys.But,Like I say....it will come on the night of its choosing,Im just along for the ride.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A camera is the next important "must have" item, behind the net and scale. :wink:

Bill in SC

16. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Well,I got a net and a good old school scale,so Im 2/3rds home.I think I have a camera to borrow for the next few days,so its all good.Got a good feeling about the next week or so.When we hit that new moon its on.

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, I wish you the best, but topping or even nearing your other feat the other night will not be as easy as you might think. When we landed a 51 pound blue on the first cast of '09 January 2nd, I said to myself, this is easy and it's going to be a good year, I think the 40 some odd pound blue is the best we have been able to muster since then. The bigguns always seem to come when you least expect it. Always expect the unexpected, and be ready for it! :smile2:

Bill in SC

18. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I know youre right Bill,but dangit,let me dream a little.Im gonna catch some eaters this weekend and fry up some for all the kids and hopefully
    I can get one real good pull on the big rod.But,I know youre right.It just dont work that way....But,good karma can go a long way sometimes.And
    Im trying to build some up.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Oh, you'll do it. Just might not come as quickly as anticipated. Like Mickey says, "It only takes one cast, my day will come." :wink:

Bill in SC

20. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    You're definitely right on this one.

Speaking of scales, Bill, did you ever replace yours?