Frugal Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by raybait1, Sep 20, 2008.

1. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    How do you guys keep your fishing costs down? Any tips/tricks you'd like to share?

2. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    Unless I need something right away I always use Ebay and just wait till I find a sweet deal on what I was looking for.Also checking the clearance areas in sporting goods stores or Walmarts are a must.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Flea markets, garage sale, junk shops etc. Buy from our sponsors when I can.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Buying gas is my biggest expense,,, was thinking someone to share that cost would be a good way to cut costs...
    also, I use e-bay, discount rooms, buy in bulk, etc.

5. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    One thing I do is save my wife's 20oz coke bottles. Wash them out, fill them with water and freeze them. I use them instead of buying 5 bags of ice every day im on the water. Saves me about $10 per day.
    Typically I fish 2 days a week year around. 100 or more days on the water saving $10 per day is $1000 savings per year. wow!

6. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get her to quit drinking cokes and maybe cigeretts would be a strong savings. (not saying she smokes just another way to save) Thanks Sam Davis

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    everytime I think about it, I come to the same conclusion. Save gas by catching cats from local waters (even if they are much harder)..

for me this is a significant personal concession, I live within 5miles of a large hydroelectric dam in a northern state. My river, which is well known as good catfishing further downstream is cold enough to harbor trout, around here, and much worse for catfish than distant downstream hotspots.

All the local BOC guys live 80-100 miles downstream and my concession is that I read all these great catches, well at best I get one of two per trip. I also can't catch flatheads locally unlike the guys downstream...

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I check out Wal-Mart and E-bay for the best prices on fishing gear.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I do the same thing. I also use plastic milk jugs,and 2 and three liter coke bottles. Saves a bundle and you can drink one or two when they melt down while out there.

The bigger bottles don't melt as fast either so if your out there for a whole day your ice don't melt away fast.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I use milk jugs to seems to last longer than crushed ice:smile2:

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i got a car that was easy on gas,let my wife use my explorer around town,which i have officially lost now,lol

i try to buy most of my tackle in the winter,hooks,sinkers etc.thats when i usually have more money because i am not running around as much cause of the cold.

12. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I try to catch and stockpile my own bait. I catch crawlers in the garden, use them for bait to catch suckers and bullheads (which is fun in itself), freeze the suckers and put the bullies in my home bait tank. I also trap minnows when I can, for when I want to fish for "other" fish. Most of my fishing budget goes toward bait, so it can be pretty significant.

I also fish local waters... it helps that I live close to the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers. Saves on gas, and the cats are pretty good around here.

Not having a boat has saved me a lot of money, too... but I'd still love to have one.

Buying used gear (Ebay, craigslist, garage sales, etc.) and looking around for deals in the offseason helps, too.

13. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Catch or make my own bait where possible. Plus I've had a real blast making and fishing with homemade doughballs. Finding out what works best for what. Adjusting recipe's,
    trying different things. All for a few dollars worth of cornmeal and flour.

I'm bank fishing so I don't have boat, motor, gas costs. Although my wife and I are talking about equipping the jon boat for river fishing next year.

Instead of buying 18-22$ spiderwire or Power Pro line I bought 8$ Power strike.

I make my own sinkers and have lead ingots for several years to come. I keep terminal tackle at an absolute minimum. I don't care what it is, if you throw it in the river, sometimes the rivers going to keep it. If I can make it myself, it only costs me time, and I have a big supply of that.

Common sense is the key, and moderation.

14. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I don't do it intentionally but I save lots of money on bait by not catching many fish :sad2::sad2:

15. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    The only expences I have are gas, snacks and drinks.

Can,t save on gas unless I go sifon the neighbors car, and he put a lock cap on it so thats gotten more difficult (JJ).

I mainly save on the drinks, I buy 30 packs of beer when its on sale, about $17 bucks (.57 cents per can), by the 6 pack its closer to a $1 a can.

I also like to drink ice tea, and buy it on sale for about $3.50 a 12 pack (.30 cents per can).

I take water that I bring from home in a quart sized sports jug that is washable (can't stand the taste of bottled water).

Thanks for the ice tips, I don't do it enough but i'm going to start making more ice.

16. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    havent found any way yet lol

17. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    This year I have saved a lot of money by cutting out most of my weekend fishing trips and staying closer to home. Last few years I held two out of state licence, Ky & In, plus my Illinois. This year I only got my Illinois and Ky licence. I stopped driving my truck, its an old 85 ford stepside and is bad on gas. I always save and freeze the guts and scraps when I clean a mess of fish.

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    As for others, gas is my biggest expense - for the truck, not the boat. I have a Honda 4 stroke on the boat, so I can a fish the whole day and most of the night on a couple of gallons of gas, but my preferred fishing spots are all 45 min to an hour form home, so I burn a bit of gas in the truck getting there.

I bottle my own drinking water (refill old gatorade bottles etc) and buy my drinks by the case at the discount store instead of at the convenience marts.

As far as tackle goes - I buy quality reels and reasonable rods and take care, so they last for years. Buying cheap stuff that has to be replaced after a year or tow is no savings.

19. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Very important point there. Took me far too long to realize how true that is.

20. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I buy cheaper gear for bank fishing, the mud here can make a mess of a good reel.