Frozen Sushi, or something.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Feb 9, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been on this forum about a year. I have met a lot of people I like, well most of 'em anyhow.

Most of them are wonderful Southern People. Very interesting folk. I realize you got alligators, walking catfish, moccasins, tornadoes, hurricanes and okra, all dangerous things. I now have to ask you good Southern folk a question.

The weather has been terrible for many of us this year. God knows we have all suffered. This winter in this part of Iowa ain't been good. I just read our weather report for tonight.

Strong Canadian cold front (damb Canadians) to push through at midnight. Strong sustained winds to 45 miles per hour. This cold front with the winds are expected to produce winds chills of -40 degrees below zero. Good thing I don't have cows calving. I am getting old, real old. My circulation is bad because of all the beer I drink. I am not looking forward to this.

Here's my question, before my truck won't start, I am thinking of heading South. Way South, where the peaches never freeze. I realize I am a Yankee and you, I know, are sick of them moving in. Where would be the best state with the prettiest girls and where the fish don't turn into frozen Sushi after you catch them. I'll even bring a load of corn as the first months rent on a river cabin.

Postbeetle

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Beetle,

Come to Oklahoma. It still gets cold in the winter, but, rarely, and I do mean rarely reaches 0*. Most of our lakes are accessible year round. On top of that, we have a convienance that most other states don't have. Fully enclosed, heated, fishing docks. Yup, thats right, drive up to the ramp, walk out to the dock open the door and shuffle in quickly. Grab a seat and relax in warmth while drowning a worm or a minnow. Some allow beer, some don't.

3. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Well Howdy,
    Come on to NC Beetle, we still have enough cold weather so's you don't get homesick. Temps here today are in the high fifties and it's very nice out. It won't be long though untill I'm cussing the 90+ heat. Here in the little town of Elon, we're 2.5 hrs. from the mountains and 3.5 hrs to the beach. I invited Deerhunter4 to come down, but I think I scared him with the prospect of drinking peach brandy from a jar. Are all of y'all afraid of a little 'shine? It's good for what ails ya. Come see us in NC. I'll take you fishing. He!!, I'll even sponsor you as my own trial Yankee untill you get a proper naturalization here.
    Bigwhiskers

4. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ohhhh, peach brandy. Now THAT sounds good! :haha: :wink:

5. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Carefull now Tony, you boys West of the Mighty Miss aint ready for anything over two to three fingers of the stuff. Bet you'll start taliking funny and yer thungs 'll get real tick. How minnie feengrs em I holding.....................

6. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    naaaa, don't count on it. I know plenty of folks west of the ol sip that drink corn squeezins on a regular basis, and thems squeezins will reach out and get ya real quick!

7. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    You aint never told a lie! Sneaks right up on a feller. You taking any of this in Postbeetle?
    Bigwhiskers

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You could move here to N M ,John and watch the occasional minute snow particals blast by the window at 40 . Nice weather here most times in winter here ,most times temps are 38* for an ave hi in winter.this year they have been 56* ave

9. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    If you are looking for pretty women, fast horses, and good bourbon, come to kentucky. House for sale down the road from me, right on the Ohio River, already elevated so the river don't get ya! Winters aren't too bad anymore, summers aren't too bad, just humid. Good town! Good folks!

Linda

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Richard I catch New Mexico on my mind, but waiting for you folks to ban Gallup first. It serves no purpose but bad luck and terrible drivers. Any wind of such a change?
    We have places in Indiana that just don't exist anymore, and it's one of those states populated by people whose cars broke down right where they are living. But we just won't tolerate but so much bad karma in one location; then we chapter 11 the place and get on with it.
    :wink:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Why do ya think I live on the opposit side of the state from GALLUP :cool2:

12. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can't tell ya bout any better weather here, but on your way to warmer climates stop and pick me up!:smile2:

I got a sister somewhere in Tennessee. Don't know where, I don't talk to her much. Mom says she's got a good payin job though. Maybe she can support us till we get settled. I think she owes me bout 2 years worth.:wink:

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey john, come on down here to AZ. right now it is only about 50 at night and getting into the 80's during the day. should be a nice change of scenery, and dont worry, we have planty of old people coming down from your neck of the woods this time of year.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Joe, you don't know how close I am to taking you up on that. I'll get Sheila on the way. Wind blew all night 30-40 mph. Wind chills got below -40 degrees. Now noon here, sun shining like in the Sahara desert. Only it is still at -6 degrees.

Nancy has this wild hair about work. She thinks she has to go. She had a cleaning job in town today and insisted she had to get it done. Never argue with a woman younger than you , bigger than you and in menopause. An amazon unleashed.

She got in her fliver, headed down our long lane and almost buried it. Managed to get to the top of the hill and turned out of sight. I crossed myself and said oh well. Five minutes later she comes zooming back in stomping and steaming. She ran into a 2 1/2 foot drift that went for 60 yards, just down the road from the house. She buried the front end of her truck in it. Stopped and managed to turn around and come home. I didn't say a word, ain't gonna say a word. She is just standing looking out the window. I am going to hide her truck keys.

If I come down Joe, even though I am old, I want ya to take me where there ain't any old people. I don't like to hang with that crowd. They give me the willies.

15. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey John, In my opinion it's no contest. You need to come on down to GA where we've got it all. From the Blue Ridge Mtns. in the north to Atlanta on down to the Atlantic Ocean and Savannah in the south, with plenty of big catfish all in between. Weather never gets real cold either and when it does there are plenty of fine GA peaches (not the kind on trees) to keep you warm at night. :big_smile:

16. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Kin folk said John move away from there said california is the place you aught to be......John sounds like So Cal. is what your looking for weather and the women. And your sushi wont be frozen.

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Joe said it right John! We are already hitting the low 80's / high 70's this week! We get a lot of folk that come down here every year from as far north as Alaska (I talked to a lady at the gas station yesterday who was from Anchorage). We locals call them "Snow Birds". They come down and enjoy the warmer weather and take off before the scorching summer gets here!

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    So. Cal......only if ya like tofu and plastic women...Lol.

I need a new fishing partner John...but if I told ya the weather was any better here overall in Kansas...it'd be a lie worthy of going to hell for that alone! They have a special place reserved for people like that!!

Sound like what you really need is a snowmobile and a couple pair of snowshoes!

Oh and BTW Sheila....I wouldn't hold my breath on John picking you up any time soon.....

He can't even get out of his driveway!! :wink:

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    You may be technically correct about us rarely reaching 0 degrees in this area.

The part you didn't tell him was about the abundance of the winter days we see that fall somewhere between 0 and 32.

The wind closes the gap after that.

Ya...wind...you know...Oklahoma...Kansas. Ever hear of Tornado alley??

If ya come here...you will. :wink:

If you're picking people up John...after Sheila...grab Tony too. He's suffering from some type of weather induced dementia!!!

OR...maybe it's just those corn squeezin's??? They done snuck up on him??

Send me some up this way. The shine around here tastes more like kerosene!

Perhaps we can share the same point of view about the local weather if I can get a couple of good solid swigs of the kind stuff down the hatch!

20. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hawkins is right baout that. as long as you dont show up in a 32ft RV then you will be fine down here. and i can take you to many places where there arent any old people. it seem like they all turn in at around 1900. there are numerous people here from canada and montana, wyoming and the like. they mainly frquet the buffets and the swap marts and wal-mart. other than that they arent really around, except to clog up traffic. i can take you out and put you on some channels (maybe). the coldest part of the winter is pretty much over here. we might get another couple of cold snaps (maybe into the lower 50's) but nothing anyworse than that. we will get the guest room ready for you, and dont worry i can get you on base. shouldnt be a problem. as long as you arent a terrorist. :wink: