Frozen Smelt

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by Tat2demon, May 24, 2009.

1. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    Does the frozen smelt you can buy in bags at the grocery store work well for flats?

Here in South Dakota were pretty much screwed for large live bait. We cant use any game fish so no bluegills, bullheads or anything like that. Shiners and shad cant be taken away from the waters they were caught in so I cant really go out and collect anything large.

This really only leaves me large minnows from the bait shop and frozen smelt from the store.

If smelt isnt a very good idea do you have any others? I could catch carp all day long and cut them into strips if that would work.

Thanks,
    Nate

2. catwhiskerfever

catwhiskerfever New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can you use goldfish there? Live goldfish work really good for flathead. The bigger the better.

3. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Im not seeing anything about them in the book. Its Sunday so GF+P is closed. Ill swing by a bait shop and see if they know.

4. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    I just noticed I started this in the wrong section. Any mods that can move it?

Thanks

5. catwhiskerfever

catwhiskerfever New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not sure how to move it. I'm new to this club. We have been having good luck catching some flatheads on leeches also. I dont catch many flatheads on anything but live bait. Here in Missouri we use perch alot. They are my favorite flathead bait.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    man that sounds like theres alot of restrictions in dakota; can you use panfish from private ponds?

7. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Says no gamefish (including bullheads) may be used as bait, except for cleanings. :sad2:

8. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    sounds like you should move across the border to the south:big_smile:...lol..

9. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    WHat? Move and miss out on the minus 35 derees below zero temps?:smile2: