Frozen Skipjack

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by o'boro cat hunter, Apr 10, 2009.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Whats the best way to freeze Skippers.:confused2::confused2:Thanks

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Best way I've found is throw them on ice soon as you catch them. Thats the most important part I think. Vacuum seal or zip-loc baggy them and throw them in the freezer and you'll be good to go.
    I really need to get stocked up on some. All the ones I had got ruined when my bait freezer quit working and they thawed out.

3. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    yea what he said make sure to cool them down before you freeze them that they don't freezer burn.

4. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is it best to get the air out the bags if your using ziplock , also what size bags are best.Lets just say you got 50 1 pound 12-14 inch skippers,how many would you put in a 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag. Thanks

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'd get every bit of air you can out of them. I use different size baggies according to the skippies size. I usually don't put more than 1 or 2 big skippies in a baggy. That way If i'm going out for a short trip I don't have to take as many. May cost you more in baggies but less bait will be wasted. Once they thaw out and you refreeze them they are fairly mushy. Ok to use in little current or lakes but not great on the Ohio.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with John on this. I still favor Vacumn pack if it is available.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I always vacuum seal mine. The bags are high dollar but your bait will last and last. Also, the crap bags from Wally World are not worth the small cost savings and actually cost more by the time you chuck out the defective ones. Buy the FoodSaver brand and get it right the first time, every time.

A tip I picked up on here worked really well. Wrap all your skippies in saran wrap (I bought some jumbo rolls at Costco) first. Then you can wash your hands because all the slimy work is done. Then start your vacuum sealing operation. You won't have any problems then with slime/moisture sucking out of the bag and keeping you from getting a good heat-seal on your bag. Way less messy way to do it.

We did a 3 man assembly line. One person handling the slimy skips and setting them onto the plastic wrap that the second guy had ready. Second guy wraps, then third guy stacks into a wheelbarrow. Only one guy gets stinky, unfortunately it was me.:smile2:

Vacuum sealing was a neat clean operation after that.

8. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Good Idea SkipEye on the saran wrap never would of thunk. :wink:

Just had a thought of your new avatar, Stinky SkipEye :smile2:
    catch ya later

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks for that tip.:cool2: I'll have to do that when we go get stocked up on them.

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I put mine on ice after caught then I put on some latex gloves and take a roll of paper towels and wipe the heavy slime off I then wrap em in saran wrap and put em in my bait freezer.When I go fishing I just pull out what I need and in a little while they will thaw out enough that I can take a razor knife cut the saran wrap and rake the scales off and slice off what I need the meat is firm and they bleed red.I like the idea of a vacumn sealer I bet they would keep a lot longer that way I just dont have one yet.:wink:

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id say the most important thing would be keeping it away from air when freezing by either vacu-sealing or submersing the entire bait in water in a ziplok bag then removeing the air from the bag seal & freeze.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Ziploc make bags for vacuum sealing,and a hand vacuum pump. I bought one of the pumpsand1 box of gal.size bags for the 12-14"ones and three boxes of bags for the 6-8" ones last year. They work real well and keep down freezer burn. Figure I'll get some more bags this year since I have ran short on bait. I also save the used bags to put more bait in at another time. I keep them handy in my truck or boat to put left over fresh bait in after each trip.Hope this helps.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Folks they don't call him Skipeye for nothing :wink::smile2:, This is the best way to keep skips in the freezer and ready to go for a long time.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I make a point not to put but two skips in a freezer bag, when you thaw them to many times they too will become mushy, mushy bait is a no go.

15. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    My wife bought me the Reynolds Handi Vac system along with a box of gallon and a box of the quart size bags. She picked them up at walmart and siad they wasnt expensive. I tried them out last night after we got done fishing. I had about 2 dozen fresh creek chubs left and this system worked very good. They are sealed and in the freezer.

16. fredrick

fredrick New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I generaly lay my skipjack out on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for about 45 min. before vacumsealing them. This keeps the vacume from drawing out all the blood. Also when you go to use them make a small hole in the bag before they thaw for the same reason.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is, a vacum seal, a ziplock, how much are they i live 3 hours from bluecatfish, im a flathead guy using livebai, but love them blue trips . problem bait shad isent as firm as a skipjack i can buy them in a store in altone is that good, as long ass they bleed

18. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Welcome to the boc curtis:big_smile:That was a good first post thanks for the tips:wink: