frozen shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by flathead kid, May 18, 2008.

1. flathead kid

flathead kid New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey i was wandering if catfish would still bite on shad after it has been frozen. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It aint too good round here-I have not tried vacum packing it but the frozen stuff is garbage!

3. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bait-gathering laws are so strict around here that it's not really worth it to catch my own shad... Cast nets are illegal, because it might do some harm to the precious, precious walleye. So, due to circumstances, frozen shad is about all I use here in Minnesota. I highly recommend it.

If the shad has been frozen once, it's fine. If you thaw it, use some, then refreeze it, it gets soft and won't stay on the hook.

Of course, cats prefer different baits, depending on the region of the country and body of water. I'm not surprised that some guys don't have any luck with it in other areas of the country, but it's awesome up here. All my PBs have been caught on frozen shad or frozen sucker.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If given the choice to use frozen shad or stay home, I'll stay home every time.

Sure, you *might* catch a fish or two, but then again, you *might* catch a fish or two on hotdogs, chicken livers or any of a zillion other "baits". Offer catfish the same food they eat every day, in the same condition they eat it every day and you'll catch a lot more fish.

Learn to catch fresh shad every time you go fishing - it'll be painful and frustrating at first, but once you figure it out, your overall fishing success will increase far more than enough to make up for the time spent getting bait.

5. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    i have caught more fish with fresh shad, but would rather go with frozen shad than not at all

6. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I froze shad last year and have had luck with them the few times I have been out so far. Sometime I give the kitties a banquet and throw a worm on the hook with the shad!
    Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

Linda

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Frozen herring isn't frozen shad...

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used to never use frozen shad, because it never worked. either it would sit in the water and get soggy or i would throw it off on the cast. then i started vacuum packing it and i started catching as many fish with frozen shad as with fresh shad. i thaw it cold, in the fridge, right before a trip. i keep it in a bag in the cooler, and don't let the actual bait set in water at all. and, as stated before, don't refreeze it at all. i understand everyone's experience or success wll vary, but for me since i began doing it this way has worked great for me.

9. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    ya they do , if it dosnt fall off first lol, shad/anchovies and mackrel for me are the worst dethawd fish to use, there skin is not thick enough for their insides to become mush and the fish to become supper spongy..., make sure you keep your frozen bait, as cold as possible, i use dry ice to keep them frozen, expensive, but if your buddies and you pitch in to buy dry ice, its a few bucks per person... good luck

10. dennis.p

dennis.p Guest

One thing I've noticed is that catfish will usually eat frozen shad over a bare hook, so if frozen is all you have it's better than no shad at all. Good Luck.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I tried a different approach to freezing shad a few weeks ago. I caught a 5 gallon bucket of 3-4 inch shad in one throw while in Oklahoma over MEM. weekend. I kept them on ice and when we got home ,I removed them a few at a time to ziplock bags and salted heavily,with NO WATER. then froze them. I used some a few days ago and they were as good as fresh for firmness,we only got two bites in three hrs ,one a turtle and a 3 lb channel. It worked for me ,I'll keep ya posted as I got a lot in the freezer.