Frozen Shad

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by jayhawkokie, Sep 20, 2009.

1. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    I know you can't beat fresh shad but sometimes you just can't find any to net and the ones you buy at the bait shop frozen in Mason jars are mushy.

Has anyone tried freezing shad in vacuum freezer bags? I got into more shad today than I could use so I froze them in these bags just to have some on hand in case we can't find fresh ones. I'll see later if they are worth the trouble.

Jayhawkokie

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use a vacuum sealer for shad and skip jack and it works very good.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree with Jim, vacuum sealer works wonders:wink:

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have vacume sealed shad in the freezer from may and still catching fish with it.obviously not as good as fresh but it still works.

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually just load up when I can that way I am nto out when I want it. I just use freezer bags and freeze them that way. I'm sure vacuum bags would be a lot better, but the ones I get in Oct work all though the winter and into the spring for me until I can get more fresh ones.

6. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i use zip lock freezer bags and they seem to work good for about 2 or 3 months :cool2:

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yessir indeed, have 5 bags of frozen ones in the fridge right now. they work great especially when you can't find any or wanna go fish without spendin the time nettin em

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I use freezer zip bags and "vacuum seal" by dipping the bag in a pan of water and pushing the air out. When the air is out zip the bag. It is not perfect but is about 95% effective as a sealer :eek:oooh:

9. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Vacuum sealed is the only way to go. Last much longer and work much better than those frozen in freezer bags. Can't beat fresh but when you can't get bait you can't be picky.

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just keep mine in your average ziplock freezer bag. Only thing ya need to really make sure of is you get all the air out before you freeze em.

11. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    we have shad we caught 2 years ago works just find we just use a zip lock hand vacum sealer but made 1 mod to it... take the pump off and use a shop vac instead it was a good $3 investment from wally world

12. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    I keep a nice supply of shad and skipjack frozen too, I read somewhere to freeze them 1st then vacuum seal em, that way the blood isnt drawn out of the meat. I havent tried this but in theory sounds like good advice.
    Mike