frozen shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by nicka2231, Jun 19, 2009.

1. nicka2231

nicka2231 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i buy frozen shad from bait shops, are they just as good as live shad, cause i dont know how to catch them.

2. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    Nick -
    I monitor this thread because I am from Texas and still occasionally visit family in the Hill Country. But I live (and fish) in central Virginia. Here, frozen shad will catch fish, but not like fresh shad. We catch them with a gill nets or throw nets. We fish gizzard shad, they are filter feeders - meaning you can't catch them with a hook.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I don't fish with live shad but they are freshly caught.The ones you get from the store are from big companys that drain most of the oils and good stuf from the shad and make dip baits with the rest is pacages and sold so the shad is drained of the good stuff that the fish like already.I would get a cast net if you don't think you can throw one get one and practice in the back yard for awhile.Start with the smallest one you can find usualy a 3.5 is the smallest and before you know it you will be a pro at it.The cost is about 20 bucks and they can pay for thenm selves in one trip.

4. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    You need to get a throw net , it can be fun catching bait as fishing! Fishing with shad I believe the fresher the better! Smaller throw nets are easier to throw but harder to catch bait. I catch my shad early mornings by the shore or near power plant spill way.

5. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    frozen shad don't tend to stay on the hook as fresh shad do. They kinda remind me of chicken livers after they are frozen:embarassed:

6. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    If I can't catch some fresh bait, I go home. Shad is prefered, but carp steaks, and drum steaks work well for me, too

7. spawnallica

spawnallica New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have used both store bought and fresh. I would prefer to only use fresh, but they both will catch fish! It's so much cheaper to buy a cast net and catch your bait!

8. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    This is Texas. We don't have skipjack

9. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ha thats funny, I keep seeing that and wondering what skip jacks are. In our state some people call a salt water fish a skipjack or ladyfish but nothing freshwater.

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If you are talking about the packaged shad you will have better luck if you throw the shad away and use the package.

The only frozen shad I use is what I have caught and frozen myself, I only use it if I can't get fresh shad. I try to freeze about 30-40 lbs of shad each year. When I go after shad to freeze I take my big ice chest and as I catch shad I put them in plastic containers and cover the containers with ice. When I get home I vacuum seal the shad and freeze it.

Each year the shad I have from the year before I make chum out of it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If you ever get up here to NE Okla. I will send some home with you. We will have to use some before you go back.