Frozen Shad?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by catfisherman369, May 21, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Went fishing this evening and was using some shad I had that was previous frozen . Everytime I got a good run The bait seemed to come of and could'nt hook anything . Out of 20+ bites I was able to hook one 3 pounder . I am certain it was the bait being so tender but I could be wrong . Anyone got any ideas ?

2. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Sounds like you were getting bit by some really small cats because a bigger one would take the shad in one big gulp and the smaller ones were just nipping at it.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Yeah I thought that could be the problem also . I figure they was grabbing the bait , but not the hook and all . Then everytime I pulled it was enough to get the mushy bait off . I usually dont fish with shad that has been frozen .

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    remember you can only thaw bait one time before it starts to get mushy, I have been brining my bait that I sell in a special mixture that keeps the meat firm even after thawing and helps keep things on the hook. Good Luck!

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like to keep shad frozen till it's ready to go on the hook. I got a bunch of shad a few days ago. As I was catching the I put them on Ice .Once I got home bagged them up in portions that I thought would do me each trip out. Whatever is left over once the trip is done goes into chum or garbage. I like to have fresh shad each trip. The frozen ones are just a precaution. per chance I can not catch any shad.:wink:

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    It's your frozen shad Floyd. Anything that hits it will pull it off if it does not get the hook in its mouth. I used cut shad on almost all my striper trips up the river this spring and caught shad fresh each morning. I wish I could just freeze a bunch and grab a bag each morning, then I could sleep late, but frozen shad just don't work very good. They are a lot better than no bait, but fresh cut shad will produce a LOT more fish. :wink:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i got some 3-4" ones ive been using. if you leave them intact you could hook them through the eyes and they stay on pretty good soft or not their heads still hard.

8. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I personaly have never had any shad get mushy if, frozen only once, and, kept on ice.

9. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm talking about threadfin shad. I've never thawed one out that did'nt get mushy and I've been fishing with shad for 25 years. Gizzards, on the other hand, have a much thicker and tougher head and will stay on the hook better if hooked through the eye sockets. However, if you hook big gizzards through the eye sockets, it's hard to get good hookups because the hook won't easily pull through.

Bottom line is, fresh cut shad will catch more fish than frozen cut shad. I know that for a fact. :wink:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have been catching cat on frozen gizzard shad heads when I couldn't get a bite on fresh not sure why but it happen one trip to the lake.

11. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    it was the frozen shad i have used it and hate it. It will never stay on the hook and i think fish can tell the differents between the frozen or alive.

12. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    just catch it and put it on ice till ya use it then hook it throught the eyes and it stays on well

13. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    If you are going to freeze some shad you must vac pack it first. Just putting them in a freezer wag wont work very well. Once they unthaw in the regular freezer bag they usually are mushy, the vac bag helps with this problem. Frozen shad will catch fish but is better if you can get some fresh.

14. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    FROZEN SHAD WORK OK FOR ME I WILL PUT THEM ON ICE THEN PUT IN FREEZER BAGS AND STRAIT TO FREEZER.THEY WILL WORK BUT NOT AS GOOD AS FRESH ONES.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I am going to start using fresh shad only . I just froze 8 bags of bluegill for bait . Them should be a little stronger . If not I will turn them into chum .

16. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i argree with the post before about freezing in once, it gets bad the more u freeze. I use it until it thaws then its chum. those blue gills will stay on better, also I think the blues like um better anyway.

17. BEERMAN

BEERMAN New Member

State:
    va.
    you need to brine it and then freeze it , it wont get mushy, also put in a brine solution when you go fishing take it out as you need it, when you get back home refreeze it again, if it is brined propely it will never really freeze.

18. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    That could also be gar that your getting bites from. I have had this problem and when I checked my bait it was kind of shredded like it was a fish with big teeth. I rarely ever hook a gar.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009