Frozen Shad Vs. Live Shad

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by cross_their_eyes, Aug 29, 2005.

1. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    I've caught Flats/Blues on cut and live shad but what about frozen? I want to keep a bunch of shad i've caught w/o throwing them back in the river after I'm through fishing for the night. Are they still effective frozen? I could probably have several jars by now if I would have kept them. plus, should I fish the frozen shad whole or cut?

Thanks!

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Bill, theres a bunch of us here who use froze shad. I've had good luck with both.Of course it's all up to how you freeze em.
    I always vacumm seal and then freeze em. I had a few not seal and were frozen anyway.
    I' pulled 2 bags out and could tell the difference between the 2 when thawed.
    Walleyworld sells em if ya want to try.
    Cut or whole? Thats according to how big/small they are.

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I don't really like frozen bait.Channel cats don't mind it ,but i think the flatheads,and blues like fresh bait.I've kept it on ice and fished with it for 2 or 3 days but I just don't freeze it.Also I think once you freeze it and thawl it out it become mushy and harder to say on the hook.If it's mushy and you try to fish hard current I've found it comes off the hook easy .I understand it becomes harder to get at times ,but I have bait shop near by . If it's your only means and frsh bait isn't available,freeze it and take your chances.Frozen is better than nothing at all. :D

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Keep in mind about "frozen bait". Its all on HOW you freeze it.
    I'm still catchin blues and channels on shad we got back in may.
    Bon got a 30 pound blue on frozen shad I gave him.
    Now, fresh is always,always best.
    If you do freeze it and you vacumm seal it, it'll stay on the hook fine and doesn't/hasn't got mushy yet.
    (We even went so far as to get a power inverter and take vacumm sealer to the dam and seal them right outa the net.)

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have been using frozen shad all year..that is until yesterday..went into my shed to get a cold beer when I found out the beer wasn't cold and about 5 pounds of frozen shad and shinners were no longer frozen! I have never smelled something that bad before..can't tell how long the refridgerator had been off.. Anyone one interested in a slightly smelly, :confused: free refridgerator???

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    David, I feel your pain. I had a bunch in the freezer at wok.(mine at home were full) When I got here this morning the whole store had the same odor.
    Man, what a waste!

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I never knew what was in the freezer could make it into the icebox part..man shad are really oily..after they turn for a few days in a hot refredgerator..

8. jonnnyboy

jonnnyboy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey guys, is there a way to freeze shad if you do not have a vacuum sealer. I read on another thread that you shouldn't freeze them in water or they get too soft to fish with. Would you just recommend trying to get all the air out of the bag and freezing them that way?
    jon

9. RMXmitch

RMXmitch New Member

State:
    x
    I cant afford a vaccum sealer right now either, so I put as many shad in a ziplock bag as I can fit and dip the bag in a bucket of water all the way up to the top of the bag and seal it. It pushes all the air out and works great!

10. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Thanks for the ideas, and yes; fresh is better but I'm thinking of the days the shad get harder to find, or the times I just don't have the time to throw a net. Do you fish the shad whole or cut?
    Thanks!

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    "fish whole or cut?"
    That'd be according to how large the shad are and what size hooks you're using.
    Worst mistake I made was useing too big a piece of bait for the size of hook I'm using.
    Remember, theses are catfish. they ain't hook shy. Make sure the hook point of whatever kind/style that you're using protrudes way out from your bait.

12. Catfight

Catfight New Member

State:
    Summerfield N.C.
    I agree with the vacuum seal. but fresh is best if you can get 'em. I love a good Catfight.