Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the freshly caught shad is gonna work better but do you see a huge difference when using frozen. I have a place where I can get Gizzard shads with my castnet but its not on the way to the Wabash. Therefore its easier for me to run out there during the week and get a few to freeze. If I can get out this weekend I am gonna give the frozen shad a try. They have to be better then the cut silvers I used last week.

· Registered
14,575 Posts
Fresh shad is always better than frozen. Purchase some Dead Red Blood Spray from Team Catfish and add to fresh or frozen bait. It will make a difference in your catch.

· Registered
149 Posts
I have never used frozen shad, but if you get them during the week you could probably put them in a ziplock on ice or in the fridge for a day or so. I have caught them and put 'em on ice over night and caught fish with them the next day. Make sure they are sealed in a bag though. That should be better than freezing them. Good luck!

· Registered
2,534 Posts
I never freeze them anymore. They get too mushy for my preference. I make time for netting them before I fish. Putting them in bags and on ice immediately after they die. I don't just throw them in a cooler alive. I put them in a bucket with drain holes, let them piss and puke out while dying. then rinse them and bag them after they stop breathing.

· Registered
343 Posts
A while back, Ramon told me he uses different baits on his different rods. He will have a live bream on one, and a bream head on another, and a cut shad on another, etc. So, I would suggest using different baits (fresh on one rod, frozen on another, live on one) and see how they do where you fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.