frozen shad it does work

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 15, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont like to use frozen bait, especially in the summer months when I can usually get fresh bait.

But I think frozen bait has its place especially in cooler and cold water.

Me and fellow Boc member dip fished this week with fresh and frozen shad, and caught more fish on the frozen, than on the fresh.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I honestly don't see a difference between the two.
    I honestly think I like frozen shad a bit more, as it thaws out and releases the oils/blood in a more timely fashion (that's what I think anyways) making the bait have a much longer life span.

I did take a big skipjack and threw him right in the freezer, that was a bad idea. Had problems keeping it on the hook, almost like chicken livers.

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never fished one against the other to check the difference but agree that i always liked using the frozen more...seems more convenient to use...

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive never had much luck on frozen

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally i prefer fresh shad if they are live over the frozen, reason being that i will use it until it dies, then i will use it as cut bait if it isn't eaten alive. however JBrooks has a good point with the frozen shad, and i can see where the oils would be released better out of a piece of frozen shad. probably need to repeat jacks experiment a few times to rule out coincidence and give it some scientific validity.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've had them hit the frozen over fresh many, many times. I like fresh better but sometimes they go for the frozen...I have no idea why this is so...but its very true.

7. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yep frozen shad works great. My 3 biggest channel cats and 2 biggest flatheads this season came on frozen shad. I'll take fresh shad over frozen, and frozen over about anything else--atleast when it comes to cut bait...

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    the act of freezing and thawing will break down and release scents and flavors into the water in bigger doses than fresh,I still like the fresh bait most of the time, but in certain times and places a slightly tainted bait will absolutly outfish a fresh one.

9. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    I'm asking b/c i dont know what ( dip) fishing is ?:cool2:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fresh is always better. But, just to say... I took frozen shad to the James River a couple years back to be told it wouldn't work. We Caught Fish! :wink: rollo

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dip is the name of a fellow boc member i was fishing with.

12. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    hear on our home lake frozen shad work just as good as fresh as long as you freeze it with out any air.... we vaccume all of the air out of the bags useing the food saver bags and vaccum system

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i do about the same on both. The slime is always there fresh or frozen

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I beleive if kept correctly there isn't a thing wrong w/ frozen bait. I think the key is in the preservation though.

15. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I read an article that stated that there's a chemical attractant in the blood of freshly killed baitfish (particularly shad) that isn't present once the bait is frozen. Sure makes sense to me as i rarely catch anything on frozen shad.

16. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I have yet to use fresh shad. My recent hits have been on frozen.
    When I use fresh , I'll inform everyone of the effects. My main concern is turtles.

17. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    ive caught MANY channels on frozen shad...........the one disadvantage that i see with the frozen is that it gets soft and turns brown in color after you thaw it out completely ..........the fish dont seem to mind at times BUT i do think that fresh/never frozen shad works better it just gets MORE bites for me but the frozen will work if that is all i have to use !!

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's all in the blood. You might catch fish on any bait you throw in, but if you really want an advantage use fresh cut shad. Red blood is good, brown or watered down blood is bad. Blood turns brown when frozen, case closed....:wink:

19. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I freeze all my skipjack and have used them a year later, had no problem at all keeping them on the hook! Add a food preservative in your freezer bags and they will keep longer.

20. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I feel that fresh cut shad is far better than frozen. I have caught numerous big channels and some decent flats all on fresh cut shad. If I dont have fresh, I dont go!:wink: