Frozen Shad For Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by MRR, Apr 27, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    caught some Shad this morning.took them home chunked them up and stuck them in freezer for later use. will they work after being frozen or did i waste my time?

2. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    no they will defenitley work...just don't expect them to swim around! hahaha...all kidding aside chop of the head and tail and slide a hook right through what's left...make sure you give it time to thaw out before you use it though.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Your going to get a WIDE variety of opinions on this, but I use frozen bagged shad all the time at a few of the places I fish where the shad are impossible to catch.

I still do better using frozen shad than I do using other, more accessible baits, like liver, stink baits, etc.

The big thing you'll notice is they will be fairly mushy and soft, and won't stay on the hook as well.

4. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I agree with jim.

Fresh is always better, but it beats heck out of livers, shrimp, etc

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use frozen shad all the time. However, next time you're probably better off freezing them whole at sorting them into bags of 4 or 5 per bag depending on the size. That way you only thaw what you use for that trip. Also the advantage to keeping them whole until you use them is the shad will keep it's oils and blood contained inside which will leave a stronger scent trail. JMO.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    While We're On The Subject Of Shad, Are All Of The Species Equal In Effectiveness ?

The Ones We Have Down Here In FL are called American Shad, They Don't Appear To Be As Oily As The Shad We Used To Get In MO.:confused:

I DUNNO, Elliot

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As already mentioned, you'll get different opinions on this, so you should give it a try and see if it works for you. I mostly target blues on the Arkansas River, and frozen shad produces so poorly for me I won't even bother to freeze it for use in an emergency. Now frozen skipjack is a totally different story.

8. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I use a vacuum sealer to freeze shad and other baits........they will stay frozen for a long time with no freezer burn and they come out almost as good as fresh. One of the best investments I've made.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    The vacuum sealer mentioned above works great! Fresh frozen shad is always better than bait store frozen shad.

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I to recommend the food saver vaccum sealer! I freeze some already cut and some whole.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have said it many times, My largest flathead of 50-lbs came on a whole frozen 8 inch shad..I would not cut them up when you freeze them, freeze them whole so they dont lose as much oil..I would still prefer fresh shad anyday, but frozen will catch fish.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the foodsaver way. We have a BOC mbr who has great deals on the foodsavers. I think they pay for theirselves in a matter of no time.

13. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I started using a vaccum sealer last year and I was amazed at the difference in the quality of the shad. They were not mushy at all and very hard to tell from fresh dead shad. I always make sure to put shad that are meant for the freezer in a empty bucket with a frozen two liter in there. I make sure there is no unnessary water in the bucket to dillute the oil of the shad. The frozen two liter keeps the shad cool and on ice until I get home without losing any oils from the fish. It may take a hour or better to get home with shad to vaccum seal and you want them in the best conditon possible before freezing them. Good Luck.

14. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    This will absolutly not work..... you need to send them to my house for further inspection...... At least you are catching them where you are at, and I agree with everyone else it should treat you real good when you are out on the water. Good Luck

Aaron

TA2D

15. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Bro,Fresh is best but frozen works,The frozen shad dont stay on the hook as good as fresh,But I like to have somthing frozen over nuten:big_smile: :big_smile: